What's new

The Poseidon Adventure 50th Anniversary and beyond (1 Viewer)

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
My grandmother took me to see Poseidon Adventure when it first came out. Big screen in Manhattan. I thought it was great at the time. Just rewatched it recently and it didn't hold up well. The dialogue is poor and the actors don't help it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually prefer THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE to THE TOWERING INFERNO. It's a great film. I believe this was my first discovery of Gene Hackman.
It's actually the reverse for me. That freaking song would play on radio stations all day long and drove me to dislike the movie more than it deserved.:laugh: Seriously, I like The Poseidon Adventure, but I like The Towering Inferno more because of my affinity towards the two male leads.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It's actually the reverse for me. That freaking song would play on radio stations all day long and drove me to dislike the movie more than it deserved.:laugh: Seriously, I like The Poseidon Adventure, but I like The Towering Inferno more because of my affinity towards the two male leads.
So the song The Morning After was a huge radio hit? Did it win the Oscar for best song?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I actually prefer THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE to THE TOWERING INFERNO. It's a great film. I believe this was my first discovery of Gene Hackman.

Of course, right now the answer is pretty obvious Disney isn't putting catalog titles on disc. I am not optimistic their attitude will change. Even if it does, they are so backlogged on what needs to be put out that something like this, despite the gem that it is, could be lost in the shuffle.
If a monumental "50th Anniversary" isn't reason enough for a new home video version, then I can't imagine what else could get Disney to release it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If a monumental "50th Anniversary" isn't reason enough for a new home video version, then I can't imagine what else could get Disney to release it.

I would bet no-one at Disney is even thinking about this film’s 50th Anniversary, sadly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm surprised Shout! never tried to do a Irwin Allen Master of Disaster box since they have (had?) relationships with both Fox and Warner.

Could have included in a nice chipboard box:

-The Poseidon Adventure
-The Towering Inferno (in a two disc set with the complete tv cut remastered)
-Flood! and Fire! double feature
-Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
-When Time Ran Out

Alas.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I'm in the middle, but probably closer to you, Robert. I'd say that TPA was a better movie overall, but McQueen and Newman are a blue-eyed double threat that's hard to beat.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I can see why The Towering Inferno is more regarded over Poseidon and that's because of the two leading stars, McQueen and Newman; but it's also because Inferno has constant action and danger going on. Poseidon's action comes and goes, but the tension never leaves as the threat of sinking is always there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can see why The Towering Inferno is more regarded over Poseidon and that's because of the two leading stars, McQueen and Newman; but it's also because Inferno has constant action and danger going on. Poseidon's action comes and goes, but the tension never leaves as the threat of sinking is always there.

Towering Inferno is indeed the more heralded movie. Those two leads as well as the rest of its exceptional cast (including Fred Astaire of all people) make this a true spectacle.

If I could be completely honest here, the reason I hesitate to revisit this film as well as The Naked Gun films is due to the one common denominator between them. I am just turned off by the actor. And, I'm trying to be nice by not naming him.

However, when a famous actor falls from grace (as another recently has), I just don't feel like watching their films. So, that's why I gave Poseidon Adventure the edge in my book.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never have a problem with his presence in a film because Poseidon Adventure was the very first thing I ever saw him and that was before "Airplane" came out and consequently I didn't have the experience of first exposure to him being in comedy. It's made me look at all his roles before that in proper context (more jarring is his very last dramatic role as a psycho would be rapist of Barbra Streisand in "Nuts" one year before "Naked Gun" and post-"Airplane").

The only thing I never understood was his special credit "AND LESLIE NIELSEN AS THE CAPTAIN!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I never have a problem with his presence in a film because Poseidon Adventure was the very first thing I ever saw him and that was before "Airplane" came out and consequently I didn't have the experience of first exposure to him being in comedy. It's made me look at all his roles before that in proper context (more jarring is his very last dramatic role as a psycho would be rapist of Barbra Streisand in "Nuts" one year before "Naked Gun" and post-"Airplane").

The only thing I never understood was his special credit "AND LESLIE NIELSEN AS THE CAPTAIN!"

The actor I am talking about was not in The Poseidon Adventure nor Airplane.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Okay, misread which one you were talking about. Frankly with Simpson, I can handle him fine in a dramatic role because I'm getting caught up in the story whether its "Towering Inferno" or "Capricorn One". It's comedy where I can't handle his presence like the Naked Gun films which is why I haven't seen them again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would bet no-one at Disney is even thinking about this film’s 50th Anniversary, sadly.
To be honest, outside of forums like this, I don't think ANYONE thinks about film anniversaries.

Every time I see someone mention that film 'Z' is approaching its 'X' anniversary, I imagine the general public saying 'whaaat?"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To be honest, outside of forums like this, I don't think ANYONE thinks about film anniversaries.

Every time I see someone mention that film 'Z' is approaching its 'X' anniversary, I imagine the general public saying 'whaaat?"

David,

I am assuming you are talking about the average Joe consumer. I am in complete agreement.

Studios do a very good job (or at least did) of timing their releases to coincide with an Anniversary. The upcoming release of THE EXORCIST is a prime example of that. However, we have also seen studios do a reissue of an existing title with the same transfer, marketing itself based on a new Anniversary.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd say The Poseidon Adventure is the first disaster movie (as we know them), Airport was just a bad day at the office for the airport workers, & it's so hammy & corny. My favourite is still Towering Inferno, I can still remember seeing it in a packed cinema & it totally worked. I'd love to see a new 4K transfer, but I don't know what the situation is with the co-ownership of Warner & Fox (ne Disney).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd say The Poseidon Adventure is the first disaster movie (as we know them), Airport was just a bad day at the office for the airport workers, & it's so hammy & corny. My favourite is still Towering Inferno, I can still remember seeing it in a packed cinema & it totally worked. I'd love to see a new 4K transfer, but I don't know what the situation is with the co-ownership of Warner & Fox (ne Disney).

Fox owns the North American rights, WB International

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks