What's new

The Police Story Trilogy 4K UHD from Eureka! (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Eureka! must be the last boutique video label to debut a 4K UHD - but what a debut this is! Their box completely blows Criterion's rather paltry blu-ray effort away - I always wondered why Criterion never included the third part of the trilogy in their set, particularly as they released Supercop on LaserDisc. Eureka has included enormous amounts of supplements, including two different commentaries for each film (Criterion has just about quit recording commentaries altogether). The booklet included in the Eureka! box is far superior to Criterion's essay on a folded sheet of paper.

The transfers are identical to Criterion's - they are based on the same 4K restored master. I thought the Criterion transfers were pretty good projected and the only noticeable difference between the 4K UHDs and the blu-rays on a large screen, is of course, more pronounced grain. The HDR 10 was nicely applied and didn't wreak havoc with my projector. Also, the 4K UHD picture wasn't darker than the blu-ray.

Your US dollar is now actually worth more than the British pound, so fans should definitely grab this box before the first print run of 3000 copies sells out.

IMG_9355.jpeg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Eureka! must be the last boutique video label to debut a 4K UHD - but what a debut this is! Their box completely blows Criterion's rather paltry blu-ray effort away - I always wondered why Criterion never included the third part of the trilogy in their set, particularly as they released Supercop on LaserDisc. Eureka has included enormous amounts of supplements, including two different commentaries for each film (Criterion has just about quit recording commentaries altogether). The booklet included in the Eureka! box is far superior to Criterion's essay on a folded sheet of paper.

It's not clear to me if you were aware that Eureka had previously released a BD set of the first two PS films, about a half-year before Criterion did. So they didn't include Police Story 3 then, either. I don't know if it was an issue with the rights to that one at the time. I got the Eureka set at the time, not knowing that Criterion had a release planned, so I don't have the Criterion, but I assume that the two sets are roughly equal.

It looks like 88 Films is releasing Police Story 3 in the US market in separate BD and UHD releases in December, so it's unlikely that Criterion won't be able to "upgrade" their set. I'll be getting the Eureka set. I'd lost track of when it was to get released, so I hope I can get it through Diabolik or Rarewaves.

On edit: Looks like Diabolik had it in stock.

Oh, and by the way, Eureka isn't the last boutique to go 4K. At the very least, there's Arbelos, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, and Cinema Guild in the US, and Indicator and Second Run in the UK.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I had the Shout 2-fer, then the Criterion 2-fer and now the Eureka 3-fer. I'm done buying these films, haha.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too bad they didn't come out w/ this back when they released the BD set. I'm probably fine just sticking w/ the BDs for foreseeable future...

_Man_

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Is there a difference between Police Story 3 and Supercop? I've only seen the US release of Supercop and didn't know if there were differences in the way they cut, or dubbed it compared to the way it was originally as Police Story 3.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Is there a difference between Police Story 3 and Supercop? I've only seen the US release of Supercop and didn't know if there were differences in the way they cut, or dubbed it compared to the way it was originally as Police Story 3.

Yes, the Supercop version of the movie was heavily edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks