What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner brings Robert Zemeckis’ holiday favorite The Polar Express to 4K UHD Blu-ray.

The Polar Express (2004)

Released: 10 Nov 2004
Rated: G
Runtime: 100 min

Director: Robert Zemeckis
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Cast: Tom Hanks, Chris Coppola, Michael Jeter
Writer(s): Chris Van Allsburg, Robert Zemeckis, William Broyles Jr.

Plot: On Christmas Eve, a young boy embarks on a magical adventure to the North Pole on the Polar Express, while learning about friendship, bravery, and the spirit of Christmas.

IMDB rating: 6.6
MetaScore: 61

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
A modern Christmas classic. Never miss giving it a spin around the holidays

Indeed it is! And it was really made for a 3D experience. And unlike what the reviewer states the 3D Blu-ray although problematic at times is still an exhilarating experience. However in the theater it was nothing sort of breathtaking in IMAX 3D as kids were actually grasping at the snowflakes falling and other objects throughout the film. As for the human eye problem it doesn’t bother me at all as it’s based on illustrations and that it’s appeal IMO as they’re not meant to be human replicants and it’s obviously animation. It also has an Edward Hopper look to it which I particularly like and helps evoke the sadness the children experience up until the North Pole revelation. I love this film!

Edit: on second thought not Hopper but more of a ‘40s Industrial look

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please let us know what you think. As a native 2K source when shown in IMAX it looked fantastic so I’m hoping for the same on this presentation. I wish WB would redo the 3D version or if not then let 3D Archives do it .
That's not going to happen!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
To steer this thread back to the film again, one of my most cherished Christmas memories comes from it. I think my oldest daughter was around 5 or 6 yrs old when we first purchased the DVD. We watched it on Christmas Eve that year, and after she’d gone to bed, I asked my wife what was a suitcase doing next to the front door. She said Samantha (my daughter) had packed it. She didn’t want to miss going on the polar express, if it happened to come down our road.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I saw the 3D Imax version several times and have both the 3D BR and the new 4K version.
I have never encountered any distractions in the 3D version, viewing it both on active and passive panels. While the new 4K disc has all the qualities the reviewer states, I still prefer viewing the 3D disc, as my focus is shifted away from the characters into the amazing compositions of depth and dimensional design. 3D greatly distracts from any preoccupation with unperfected animation efforts. I'm curious what others found distracting about the 3D disc, as I see no ghosting and it has a very dramatic depth of field. Plus, I definitely still reach for the snowflakes falling in front of the screen!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Please let us know what you think. As a native 2K source when shown in IMAX it looked fantastic so I’m hoping for the same on this presentation. I wish WB would redo the 3D version or if not then let 3D Archives do it .

So it is upscaled from 2K and to me it looks about the same as the 2K bluray upconverted through my Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player. I would say there is a slight improvement over the blu-ray but I feel it is not a huge difference and is lacking that 4K pop. Maybe they did not want it that way or maybe it is a limitation from the animation done at a lower resolution I honestly do not know. I would say if you do not have this title go for it but if you have the bluray already and are happy with it I would skip it. I borrowed my nighbors bluray as I did not have this title before purchasing it on 4K bluray.

Polar Express Specs.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Somehow I never knew that the animation was looked down on by some. I thought it looked like the book come to life and I have always been charmed by it. I am going to stick with the 3-D blu-ray as I think it is a lot of fun.
I've seen the "uncanny valley" thing brought up in recent years (though I'm sure some people didn't like it from day one) but yeah, I always thought this was a kindhearted and enjoyable movie too.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I wouldn't say I disliked it but it is a little different and actually reminds me a little of how pictures looked in the older kids books. It doesn't look like alot of modern animation but that is not a bad thing because it makes the movie stand out. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some that are critical of how this film looks.

Polar Express 4K.jpg

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Somehow I never knew that the animation was looked down on by some. I thought it looked like the book come to life and I have always been charmed by it. I am going to stick with the 3-D blu-ray as I think it is a lot of fun.
Yeah, hating on the animation in this beautifully rendered movie is like a cult. I'm not bothered by it because there's a whole lot here to love and the whole shlemiel about the animation is basically rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks