What's new

The Planet of the Apes - Original Film series soundtrack collection (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I just got an email about this new box set of the original Planet of the Apes film series soundtrack box set from La La Land Records. Remastered from original tape sources. All the films from 1968 to 1973. I have the original CDs of the Varese Sarabande releases of the first and third film and the FSM releases of the second, fourth and fifth films. I only recently picked up the 4 titles, the 4th and 5th film are on the same CD. But the soundtrack for the first film I picked up a while ago and I think it’s the best of the group. The third film is a Goldsmith score with the same flavor of the first, but with a different feel which is appropriate for the film.

So this is going to be kind of tough. The Jerry Goldsmith score for the first film it really good. So it might be interesting to see how much better the remastered is. But I just got the other titles recently. And I don’t really listen to them. But the set is tempting.

Maybe Neil Bulk, who contributed to it will convince me. :)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's a set I'm really proud of. A lot of time was put into the first score, because of the complexity. I pulled the original 1968 Dialogue-Music-Effects tracks from Fox to determine precisely how things were meant to sound. The previous Varese release did not always treat material meant to be echoplexed accurately, and I made sure to note where it was supposed to happen and Mike Matessino mixed it all properly. I also studied the original album, which in addition to editing the cues, mixed things a little differently at times. We made sure to honor all of those decisions. For example, I don't think any prior release has ever had the film mix of the main title before. Now we have that and the album mix.

The other films were a little less challenging, but there were issues to address and we're delighted with how the whole thing turned out.

Neil

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's a set I'm really proud of. A lot of time was put into the first score, because of the complexity. I pulled the original 1968 Dialogue-Music-Effects tracks from Fox to determine precisely how things were meant to sound. The previous Varese release did not always treat material meant to be echoplexed accurately, and I made sure to note where it was supposed to happen and Mike Matessino mixed it all properly. I also studied the original album, which in addition to editing the cues, mixed things a little differently at times. We made sure to honor all of those decisions. For example, I don't think any prior release has ever had the film mix of the main title before. Now we have that and the album mix.

The other films were a little less challenging, but there were issues to address and we're delighted with how the whole thing turned out.

Neil
As you should be...it's a terrific set. Worth the upgrade, sorry in advance for any wallet damage caused. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks