What's new

THE PIRATE MOVIE - Director Ken Annakin Wants Another Shot If It Ever Comes Out (1 Viewer)

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
In honor of International Talk Like A Pirate Day:

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel in his pants.

"Mr. Pirate," the bartender asks, "do you know you've got a steering wheel in your pants?"

"Arrr!," replies the pirate, "and it's drivin' me nuts!"

Possible on-topic connection: I first heard that joke a year ago, delivered by an actress on the set of my first feature film...soon to be released!

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
ANd I wonder if they'll be doin' a promotional tie-in with the Pirate's favorite fast food restaurant- Arrr-by's;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think this movie single handedly ruined the pirate genre and is the reason it took 20 years before someone thought to make Pirates of the Caribbean.

I remember it on 80's cable a lot also.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Roman Polanski's Pirates did the genre no favors. However, I thought Nate and Hayes with Tommy Lee Jones was a great "pirate" movie of a sort. To each their own.

I just have a hard time believing the same man responsible for the exceptional Third Man on the Mountain had anything to do with this early 80's crapfest. Ken -- what were you thinking...or drinking?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The tie-in when this came out was with Baskin-Robbins ice cream- their flavor of the month was Pirate's Gold, and you can see a product placement in the movie with a guy selling ice cream from a cart.
This was after a previous tie-in with Baskin-Robbins for the Village People epic Can't Stop The Music, the flavor of that month was Can't Stop The Nuts.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I recently imported the UK fullscreen version. I guess I need to make comparisons for editing.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I just watched the end of this on some satellite channel this afternoon. How ironic :)

And promptly told my wife I would purchase any DVD, sight unseen. It's terrible, but in a cheesy way.

Bought :D
Chuck

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Nate And Hayes!!?? Holy crap, I forgot about that one! Give us Yellowbeard, too! (Hey MGM - or Sony, or whoever...)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey cool! I remember seeing this theatrically. My sister and I were laughing AT it...and we were clueless little kids!

And yes, I'll be buying this DVD. Absolutely.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I was just about to copy my full-frame vhs tape to dvd b/c I had given up hope on this one being released. I am also a fan of this film from HBO's numerous showings of this as a kid in the early 80's. (Count Robin Williams' Popeye in there as well.)

Beleive it or not...I even have the 2 LP soundtrack to this flick. Yes, you heard right....they did a 2 record set for this stinker. But I love every minute of it. :)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
2 LP? Doesn't surprise me. The chorus of "Happy Ending" seems to go on forever.

Caught this on FMC this week; by the time the credits were only half rolled, my wife says, "Just give me an ending, already!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks