What's new

THE PIRATE MOVIE - Director Ken Annakin Wants Another Shot If It Ever Comes Out (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Every once in a while, one of my readers or someone on an Internet forum has asked when The Pirate Movie will come out on DVD. Notoriously reviled by critics, it nonetheless (apparently) has a cultish following.

So I asked director Ken Annakin about it during an interview about one of his other DVDs. He said he hadn't heard of any effort to release an R1 DVD, but he added:

"If they did anything with it [on DVD], I would love to make a few cuts in that. You know, that [movie] is complete proof that a director shouldn't also be completely in charge of a picture. I look at it now, and I think I did some marvelous things in that picture, but some of those scenes just go on too long. I'd love to do a little bit of editing in that picture. I hope if they put it out [on DVD], they will allow me to do that."

(Please credit the Star Tribune if reposting.)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny, but I liked it when it first came out. I saw it again a few years ago and I realised it was plain awful.

Editing might help it a bit, since I agree with him that some scenes just go on too long, but nothing will really make this turd shine.

Jason

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The Pirate Movie used to play constantly on HBO when I was in Middle School in the early 80's. That, and Grease 2. I think I'm still suffering post-traumatic stress syndrome from the one-two punch.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Come on Peter...give us a happy ending!:)

I would LOVE this on DVD, but I'm not to fond of a dir cut.

maybe a reunion commentary tho.

Does anybody know if Kristy McNichol is still in hidding.
I would love to hear her and Christopher Atkins, especially since its been so long since the movie first came out.

Mabel: You'll be hung!
The Pirate King: Oh I am, I am, and very well thank you.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I remember that those two movies were always on The Movie Channel, because my family had that channel and not HBO. Did they play constantly on HBO too?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

YEP!
With Christopher Atkins underwater with cartoon fish and Kristy McNichol pumpin the air to Chris

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I used to love this movie when it played on superchanel, of course, I was maybe 10 years old.

I'd be curious to check this out again:emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sure, give Annakin another shot, but seamlessly branch it so the original cut is still intact. This is cheesy, but still a lot of fun.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It was released on DVD here in OZ a few months back on PAL Region 4
Specs regrettably are 4:3 Pan and Scan with 2 channel Dolby Digital sound.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
"Why do you think this country has a Navy? Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!"

"The fugitive?...F-U..."
"Up yours, too!"

:laugh:

I'll gladly take this sorry excuse for a flick. The state of music today makes me wax nostalgic for the sort of throw-away pop numbers of the 80's such as this movie had to offer.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I second the 1983 release of PIRATES OF PENZANCE!!!!! C'mon, Universal!

:D :D :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
THE PIRATE MOVIE (1982)

Ken Annakin's robust musical/adventure comes to DVD in summer 2005 with a brand-new 16x9 Widescreen Transfer and new special features to be announced shortly. Ride the seas of high adventure with this exciting swashbuckling tale starring Kristy McNichol, Christopher Atkins, and Ted Hamilton as The Pirate King!

Starring: Kristy McNichol, Christopher Atkins - Director: Ken Annakin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks