What's new

The Perfect Martini? (2 Viewers)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Juniper is the primary botanical in all gins, however if you look at most, they will use much more than that. Many also use coriander and citrus peel. For example, the Hendrick's gin is infused with cucumber, rose petals and more ( iahaven't seen ab ottle in awhile so I can't remember the others).

And yes, it's true about using a shaker and the influence of Bond films. Stirring is indeed the traditional method. But some people do like the way the ice crystals mix into the beverage during as good shake. Also the amount of vermouth, as a preference, varies by taste. Most recipes you will find call for an approximate 2:1 ratio, but that is too much vermouth in my opinion. But you'll see people who want as much as the 2:1 ratio to as little as just glancing at an unopened bottle of vermouth with various levels in between. :)

PhillJones

Second Unit
Here's how I do it.

The Vodka: Grey Goose
The Vermouth: Noilly Prat
The garnish: 3 cocktail olives.

I fill the shaker with ice cubes and pour in some vermouth. As soon as it hit the bottom of the i pour it straight back out thorugh the strainer. Then goes in the Vodkas and I stir vigourously for ten seconds. I don't shake it because it diluted the drink too much. then strain it out and add the olives.

I actually keep the shaker, the vodka and a glass in the freezer at all times.

Alex, if you like the ice chips, just shake, You'll get them. If you don't believe me, humour me and try it just once.

I've found that very few bar tenders make it the way I like it. They can't stir. They either shake it like they're trying to kill it or serve it warm.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, we made our first martinis tonight. Let me set the scene. My wife and I spend the day shopping. Stop first at Starbucks for a little coffee and a sweet knosh, than do the shopping.

We buy Grey Goose, Titos, and Bombay Saphire. For vermouth, Martini & Rossie and this California vermouth, King Eider. After a long day of shopping I popped all the booze into the freezer, including the glasses.

I poured some M&R into the shaker over crushed ice, shaked, poured it out, and made my wife a Bombay martini. It seemed a little harsh and I still feel I'm a vodka martini man.

Made a Grey Goose for me using the same method. Both martinis seem a little different than what would be served in a bar. I'm thinking that in a bar, they don't discard so much of the vermouth. Or is it because they tend to be watered down in a bar? Perhaps I don't like my martinis so dry.

I did notice that as the martini was reduced in volume, I enjoyed it more.:) I should mention here that we didn't have lunch. We were out all day and didn't get hungy and still weren't hungy when we got home. That means we had those martinis on a very empty stomach, even though they didn't feel that way.

I think we have discovered that the vermouth shouldn't go into the freezer. Both vermouths developed some ice solids in them.

We used a Rosle stainless steel shaker which uses a very solid glass for the top. I found its not to hard to strain out the ice by "cracking the egg" I think its called. I.E. its not hard to do being careful. It would be hard to do and look like you know what you're doing.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Vermouth is an infused wine. It definitely should not be stored in the freezer.

As for how it's done in bars, the vermouth content is generally up to the bartender. As I said earlier, some use as much as a 2:1 ratio while others use much less vermouth. How you make it is up to your own tastes.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, that confirms our results. I presume the frig is ok for it? We'll experiment with a little more vermouth the next time.

I do think that while I liked the martini, to have one nightly would be drinking too much alcohol, at least for us.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Just so you know: When written out, that shortened form of "refrigerator" is usually spelled "fridge". "Frig" is an older word with a different pronunciation and a totally different meaning. :)

As for your question as written - well, that's between you and your vermouth bottle. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Fridge is what I meant to write and I did not know that Frig meant the freezer. Never to late to learn something on the HTF.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It doesn't. :D Nolesrule was making a funny. "'Frig' is what you say when you freeze the vermouth" as in "'Crap" is what you say when you freeze the vermouth" or "'F**k' is what you say when you freeze the vermouth.l" I suggest a good unabridged dictionary. :)

Regards,

Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The 'correct' recipe for a dry martini is:

(1) swill a cap full of vermouth around a traditional martini glass, and pour the vermouth out (the reason for the shape of the glass is that it's easy to coat with the vermouth).

(2) pour in gin (kept in the fridge - please not 'frig' which is slang for masturbation in the UK).

And that's it. NO ice, no olives and most definitely never EVER shake (you're ruining the taste not to say diluting the alcohol content if the gin comes into contact with the ice).

A wet martini is where you don't pour the vermouth out (and the proportion of v:g should be circa 1:10).

FWIW, this is how the late Queen Mother (mother of the current Queen of the UK) had her martinis.

A vodka martini is made in exactly the same manner - just substitute vodka for gin. Ideally use Polish spirit if you can find it - it has a purer taste.

And if you like the taste of dry martini, have you thought of trying pink gin? That's gin with Angoustura bitters.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

On this side of The Pond, too, hence my comment about the vermouth bottle. ;) This was explained to the concerned party in a private message earlier today. :D

Regards,

Joe

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Regarding keeping vermouth in the fridge, I believe most bottles of vermouth state that you should "refridgerate after opening" so I would at least follow those instructions.

I have a hard time accepting that a martini is vodka with little or no vermouth. What's the point? Why not just take a glass of cold vodka and stick a few olives in it? A cocktail is supposed to be a balance of flavors. How much balanance and/or flavor is there when you are drinking a spirit (vodka) that is basically just water and alcohol?

Also, I think some people might end up liking the martini more if everything is not at freezing temperature before making the drink. If your spirits and mixing equipment are at room temperature, you will end up with more water (from the melted ice) in the drink. This is perfectly acceptable and encouraged! Most cocktails are made this way, and for a good reason. The water helps to moderate the strength and alcohol "burn" of the drink.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I've now tried making martinis by pouring the vermouth on and off the ice, and by retaining the vermouth in the shaker before adding the vodka. I like the version with the least vermouth. I am not in the camp of whispering "vermouth" over the vodka and letting it go at that.:)

I tried Titos last night, it was good. Need to try Grey Goose again for comparison.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I would tend to agree. There is a reason that cocktails are made with ice rather than chilled spirits, and it is indeed the water factor from the melted ice.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The water may help moderate the strength of the drink, but if you are experiencing harshness or "burn" from your spirits, buy a better quality. Properly chilled Grey Goose, Bombay Saphire or similar quality liquors should not "burn", even with no dilution. This is why they make the best martinis, which are basically chilled shots with vermouth and olives added for nuance.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I know a guy that uses an aspirator to mist some Vermouth into the glass and then adds the Vodka. Makes for a very different Martini.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks