What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Pocahontas 2-disc 10th Anniversary set, OUTSTANDINGLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Manos is...

ASTONISHING!
UNFORGETTABLE!
UNBELIEVABLE!
STUNNING!
JAW-DROPPING!
Larry Knowles of Isn't It News says: "OMIGOD! I WET MYSELF AND POOPED MY PANTS AGAIN!"
YOU'LL LAUGH!
YOU'LL CRY!
YOU'LL NEVER LOOK AT EL PASO CINEMA THE SAME WAY AGAIN!
IT's...........MANOS! The HANDS of FATE!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Some day I'm gonna have to track down Manos and see it, just to find out if it truly is as terrible as all the reviews say it is.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Hate to necropost on a review thread (it a week old now), but like Dave Bula eariler, I too dismissed the movie because all I ever heard was "it bad, don't watch it". After watching it tonight, I rather enjoy the film a lot. And the "new" song added really did help the film out in the end. And even so people complained about the sidekicks, they weren't too bad in the end. The gargoyles from Hunchback on the other hand...

Now on the historic factor in the movie. I just think to myself that it Disney telling of the story of Pocahontas. That why I rather enjoy Hunckback of Norte Dame as well, because I didn't think it as the classic novel, but Walt Disney take on the book. Same applies here for Pocahantas.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Agreed; it is as if Flit and Meeko were transplanted from a different movie, which is a disservice to Pocahontas, but at least this hypothetical movie was a GOOD one. They're very well executed as comic animal characters with quasi-anthropomorphic behaviors.

The gargoyles are not.

I compared the newly inserted song and reprise to the versions on the CAV laserdisc: During the spin around the characters as they start to sing, the "camera" passed two wooden poles in the foreground. I wonder why that was omitted.

In the reprise, they sang yet another refrain once John was on the water. But the reprise was abandoned at a much earlier stage than the song was, and has been appropriately refined.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
"Agreed; it is as if Flit and Meeko were transplanted from a different movie, which is a disservice to Pocahontas, but at least this hypothetical movie was a GOOD one. They're very well executed as comic animal characters with quasi-anthropomorphic behaviors."

Well, it's totally subjective of course, but for me, Flit and Meeko were much less annoying than the usual sidekick characters, primarily for one reason. They didn't speak. Makes all the difference in the world for me. The writers and the animators had to be more imaginative. And none of them sounded like Gilbert Gottfried. Thank goodness !!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
DaVid,

Thanks for your, as always, excellent review. I know if you are impressed with the techincal aspects of a DVD, I am sure to be VERY happy!

I have wanted this ever since I first read your review, the the $20 price point was keeping me from making it a "must buy" during what is normally the initial promotional price point drop.

Well, I was in Costco this morning and they have dropped the price on the two-disc set to $13.59!!!

All the Pochontas DVDs had a reddish-orange price tag on them, dated today, with the new low price.

Anyone still "on the fence" about buying this DVD, now is your change to get it the cheapest you're likely to see it.

My guess is all Costcos have dropped the price, but that is only a guess.

Regards,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks