What's new

The Perfect Martini? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hmmm. I would think that very few bars keep their gins and vodkas in the freezer or over ice, meaning that most bar martinis contain more water. Now I've had bar martinis that I like and bar martinis that were definitely too watered down.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
There is a difference between "watering down" a drink and having a small amount of water as an ingredient in the drink. Most drinks have water as a major component.

But typical vodka is 40% alcohol by volume. The other 60% is water.

EugeneR

Second Unit
The perfect martini contains virtually nothing in it other than straight gin. Very little, if any, vermouth, no water, definitely no ice shavings. Shaking the martini shaker vigourously is very much frowned upon - some claim it bruises the gin, and it definitely leaves ice shavings in the glass, a big no-no. If a martini is to be shaken, two to three gentle shakes is all that is required. I see way too many bartenders shaking the thing like they're shaking maracas at Carnival, leaving all sorts of ice shavings in the glass.

Substituting vodka for gin makes it a vodka martini, an entirely different drink. If you say "martini" you are talking about gin.

Let's remember something, folks - a martini is a way to drink straight booze while attempting to look civilized. Hence all the rituals.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

The water we are referring to comes from the slight melting of the ice during the stirring or shaking process. And the article linked to by Marc explains the purpose of using ice even better than the one I quoted from earlier.

I also would take issue with your "if any" regarding vermouth. Sure, many people don't like the vermouth, but a martini without any vermouth is just a glass of chilled gin.

As I said earlier, every spirit, mixer, garnish and mixing/chilling method has a distinct purpose in the creation of the cocktail. To make the "perfect" (and by that I mean "proper") cocktail, you should not skip steps or leave anything out.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Has anybody got Micheal Jackson's (No, not that one), book on cocktails?

His discription of a Martini, which he claims is the original one, and gives the name of the bar tender who invented it, does not involvle shaking. He says stir vigourously with a bar spoon. Shaking, dilutes the drink and the only reason it's so popular is because of Ian Flemming.

After reading that, I tried a stirred martini in a good cocktail bar in oxford and am a convert. It hink it's a pity so many bar tenders suffer from shaken martini syndrome. And another thing, what's with the massive, oversized and tasteless olives that they use.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

The main reason you don't shake a martini (or any other clear-ish cocktail) is because shaking clouds the drink, while stirring does not. If you stir correctly, you will still melt a good bit of the ice, though maybe not quite as much as if you shook. Any cloudy cocktail (usually involving lemon juice or sour mix) can be shaken.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have now tried Grey Goose and Titos. I like both, but I did notice that Titos has a little heat, is a little rough, and the Grey Goose was very smooth.

I love these olives stuffed with jalapenos!

bmcfarlin

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
My favorite Martini for your temptation:

1. 3 oz. of Luksusowa (Polish Potato Vodka), a friend told me if you drink Vodka to stay away from the Grain and try the Potato. Chopin is also Potato, but twice the price and I've found Luksusowa just as fulfulling.
2. 2 eye drops of M & R Vermouth
3. 2 pimento stuffed olives
4. Pour all into a nice size drink glass over ice and stir
5. Sip away until finish, get up and
repeat 1-5 above.

Enjoy
Bill

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Is that a recipe for a vodka martini on the rocks ?!?!? Wouldn't that get watered down?

And please, please, please...if it has vodka, it is a vodka martini. A martini is made with gin. Please use the proper terminology.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried Chopin last night and found it a little harsh, similar to Tito's. So far, my favorite is Grey Goose followed by Titos and than Chopin. The latter two I probably like the same, but Tito's gets the nod based on price.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So a couple of days ago I was making a martini with my boston shaker (glass top). The glass top has measure markings on it and as I was poring vodka from the freezer into it, it cracked! That surprised me, its heavy duty glass.

So I continued on by using only the metal bottom and a shot glass that's marked for up to 4 oz. I made my usual 3oz brew and poured it into the martini glass and noticed it seemed a bit short.

I then poured 3oz of water measured from the shot glass into the boston shaker top and it was short of 3oz. I then got a pyrex measuring cup out and poured 4oz of water from the shot glass into the measuring cup. That was the smallest oz measurement on it. It was close to 6oz.

So pouring from the jigger into the boston shaker, the jigger is short. Pouring from the jigger into the measuring cup and its heavy. Go figure.

BTW, I tried the Absolut citron and found that I like it very much.

PhillJones

Second Unit

Indeed, if Colossus was in charge, he'd make you drink your martini's properly or he'd have you all dragged out into the courtyard and shot. :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've been experimenting with the flavored vodkas in my martini. I know, that's sacrilege for a martini, but hell, I was already doing that with the vodka.

I've tried Absolut Currant, Ruby Red (grapefruit), and Mandarin Orange. I like them all but prefer the Ruby Red the most. The Currant flavor is way to subtle, almost not there.

I've also tried Grey Goose Pear and its the very best. I'm not sure if that's because it's GG or because I like the pear the best. I'll have to try the Absolut Pear, because GG is to expensive to buy more than once in a blue moon.

LewB

Screenwriter
First I started with Tanqueray with a drop of Vermouth and an olive. Then switched to Bombay Sapphire, both nice.
I then discovered my favorite martini:
Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist of lemon. Like I said, it's MY favorite martini :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
You know, I have only used flavored vodka (yes, I am in the Vodka Martini group as opposed to the normal/traditional (gin) type) but recently I had some vanilla vodka {specifically, it was Vanilla Absolut} and I have to say that was really good.

When I make Cosmopolitans, I use Raspberry Stoli. Makes a big difference to the person I serve them to.

But to respond to LewB's comment: me too. come over anytime and join us.
Like I mentioned in July of last year, I have crystal martini glasses, chill my goose (ahem), and do it right...but they still taste better at the bars I have been too.

Also, someone mentioned that Martini's are a sophisticated way of drinking straight alcohol while trying to look cool....to which I would respond: and your point is ?
:p

Also, anyone ever been to Red Square in Las Vegas ?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried Andrews's method (using vodka instead of gin) of coating the martini glass with vermouth, pouring out the excess, then pouring in the vodka that was kept in the freezer.

I find it at least as good, perhaps a bit better than a shaken with ice martini.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks