What's new

The Paradigm PS-1000 in my room... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I all deleted my post. LOL Before posting my results, I will test my sub in a better means. I think that I wasnt at the right place for the test. There was more bass behind me and i can go nearer the wall when the bass punch more. I cant test right now cuz my parents sleep :D but ill test my sub tomarrow.
Tom, you will understand why I told ya that my sub is very strong in the upper bass range. I would like to have a sub like that but stronger in the low end, and more accurate... If you suggest me a sub which is less punchy that mine, forget that lol! Some people think that a SVS PCi cant stack up against mine for the upper bass. Please dont take it bad, I dont want to put down ur products and Im sure that your SVS are damn good... better than mine in overall. But I still want THAT FREAKY upper bass punch.
Stay tuned...
MY RESULTS:
===========
In my bedroom
PS-1000 Frequency Response at Listening Position (3 meters away)
======What I read=====Radio Shack compensation
80 Hz......107 dB.....108.5 dB
63 Hz......111 dB.....112.5 dB
50 Hz......116 dB.....117.5 dB
40 Hz......110 dB.....112.5 dB
31.5 Hz....97 dB......100.0 dB
25 Hz......89 dB.......94.0 dB
20 Hz......82 dB.......89.5 dB
20-63 Hz average SPL: 104.3 dB
Max SPL with material: 116 dB (sub only)
Room dimension: 1470 cubic ft
Notice the high SPL in the upper bass >40 Hz. There is a big difference between 40 and 60 Hz probably because things vibrated so much at 50 Hz that was CRAZY (so objects contribute for a higher spl maybe lol!) :eek: Im gonna do the same test again just to see if the results are ok. I didnt make the sub bottoming out... I tried to test all the thing without audible distortion. If some value change... im gonna update this post.
Secondly I want that you get this. I dont post these results to proove that my sub is better than another. In fact I think that my sub is poor lol (accuracy, boominess)! So I post these results more in order to make you think of what new sub I would like to have. You see these high SPL numbers in the >40Hz range so you know that I want a sub more powerfull as this one, more accurate and more musical. Thank you for advicing me if you will :D

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I also own the Paradigm PS-1000. It is an awesome for the money I paid. I think it retailed for about $1000.00 originally, but I got a great deal from a local dealer on a used one. It is definately a step up from the Sony I was using and has more power/volume than I will ever use. This is definately a respectable sub, but I wouldn't dare say it was better than an SVS, or even close in performance without doing a side by side comparison first.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a PS-1000 for quite some time. For Home Theater, it's incredible, especially for the money. However, for music it seems to be slow and boomy. It's definately not designed for music. I still really like it, but around here, comparing it in any way to an SVS is asking for trouble :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Getting a bandpass enclosure right is damn near impossible if not impossible (PS series are bandpass designs). Very very tough to get a bandpass enclosure to produce tight clean bass (especially in the last octave). Very easy to get a bandpass enclosure to play loud, especially in the higher bass frequencies. But even so, here are some Nousaine numbers on the PS1200 and a couple other subs.

---the following use a 31hz to 63hz range.---

Paradigm PS-1200 -98dB / 25hz~91.4dB **

---the following use a 25 to 63hz range.---

Paradigm PW2200 - 107.4 / 20hz~91(112.8dB peak)

Adire Dharman (SVS PCi would be very similar to this)

Average SPL 25-62 Hz: 107.9 dB

Average SPL 20-62 Hz: 105.9 dB

Bass Extension: 20 Hz @ 96 dB SPL

Maximum Output: 114.6 dB SPL @ 32 Hz

Most manufactures screw up the bass reflex design too. Paradigm almost screwed up the PW2200, but it is still very respectable. SVS and Adire got it right (ie didn't make much of compromise on porting or size).

I suggest you go to your local dealer and compare a PW2200 to a PS1000 or 1200 side by side. Tell us what you think after that comparison.

The Hsu VTF2 is also in the PS1000 price range and if put in max output mode would open a wide gap for punchy upper bass from the PS1000.

kevitra

Second Unit
I owned both the PDR10 and PS1000. I had the PDR10 for 1 week - it wasn't doing anything close to what I wanted.
The PS1000 was purchased new for $450 from an authorized dealer. $1000????
I had it for 2 years in college and then 2 years out of college. It did the job for movies, but for music it was very boomy (I use my system mainly for music).
I purchased an SVS 25-31 (gasp.. :) ). It blows the socks off of the PS1000. There is absolutely no comparison. The $400 SVS impresses everyone that hears it. The PS1000 kind of did.
For music it is very tight and accurate. It plays the entire range wonderfully. It fixed everything I did not like about the PS1000 (boom boom boom).
Paradigm makes great products (I also had the 3seMKII speakers). SVS is a step above (for subs), in my opinion.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have a PS-1000 with the rest of my Paradigm setup. It is a nice sub, but I know there are better. But, for only $467, it performs well. I can't quite afford an SVS.

I agree that it is a little boomy with music, but I have taken a lot of time to properly place it to minimize the effect. Overall I am happy with it, but eventually I want to get a better sub and use the PS-1000 dedicated to the rear speakers, and have the second one for the front and LFE.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
The MSRP is $519, IIRC, so the $1000 can't possibly be correct, even when figuring it has come down in price slightly.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
WARNING! I didnt say that my sub beat the crap out of the SVS PCi. I just said that in the upper bass, it should. You will understand when I'll post my results. I agree with you when u say that the PS-1000 is boomy and not very accurate on music. Very true... its why I want to change it for a SVS PC+ / CS-Ultra or the Hsu VTF-3. But I would like to have the same agressive punch in the upper bass... mine does this awesomely, and also I would like to have what I said below, a more accurate sub. I think that either the SVS or Hsu can be excellent for me. I considered the Servo-15 but it has not enought PUNCH. I'll post my results in a few... maybe in 5 minutes.

Stay tuned... you will see my results above, in my first post.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'll point out two things.

1) The numbers I posted were for a 7500ft^3 room. Put the subs I mentioned in your room and their numbers will go way up.

2) What are the room dimensions and where is the sub placed? Are you sure that 50hz isn't just a room mode? If it is, placing any sub in the same place in your room will result in a large boost in the 50hz region.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Results posted!
OK, i mentionned my room dimension... read carrefully above in my first post I updated all the thing. If you want more precision with the dimension ask me :D And also, I mentionned that maybe the 50 Hz big jump was maybe due to things which vibrate a lot in my room...
Oh! And also, later, I plan to go in my basement. The place is wider there so maybe the frequency response will be better and things will shake less. I dunno when I will go there... but Ill keep these results and when ill post my future results with the new room dimension (my basment) you will be able to compare the results and to tell me what its wrong in my bedroom or with the sub.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I saw the ft^3 number, but I'd like to see the actual numbers used to caculate that number. Ie floor to ceiling, front wall to back wall, side wall to side wall. Also where in the room the sub is placed. From this I'll see if I can figure out if you have a room mode at 50hz.

A room mode is a standing wave. What this means is the timings are just perfect so that when the wave reflects off a wall it reinforces itself resulting in a large boost in output. If it is a room mode, any sub you place in the same place in your room will get the same boost at 50hz.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If your basement is larger you will get a decrease in output. And the different dimensions will result in room modes at different frequencies.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh ok... here are the more precise room dimensions:

Room...

Height: 246 cm -> 96.85 po -> 8,07 ft

Width: 420 cm -> 165.35 po -> 13,78 ft

Depth: 403 cm -> 158.66 po -> 13,22 ft

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Also, if you wanna know where my sub is placed, i have a webcam. If you have msn, tell me your email adress and I can show u my whole bedroom or maybe... i can take a picture with my camera and to post it here.
Moreover, I know that if I go with my sub in the basment, the SPL will drop cuz its a bigger place there. I know... but im just curious :D
Thank you Dustin :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Square rooms are really bad for room modes. Ie if two dimensions are the same they both contribute to a boost if you and your sub are in the right place. If you have the sub almost in a corner and you are listening close to but not quite at a wall then you have a major major room mode in the mid 40hz range.

It's not things rattling in your room that is increasing the output, it's standing waves causeing a sufficient increase in output that is causing things to rattle.

Any sub you put in that room will get that same boost. If you put a CS Ultra in that room in the same place I'd expect numbers easily over 130dB around that resonance.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Damn so I cant have for now a FLAT frequency response with any sub if I put the sub there. How can I obtain a flatter frequency response in my bedroom? Is it possible?

BTW, I would like to show u my bedroom a lot. If you dont have MSN, I can do "Netmeeting" with you. Just open netmeeting, gimme your ip, wait for my call and I will talk to you and ill show you all my stuff.

Thanks

kevitra

Second Unit
I have the same problem with my SVS...I can't for the life of me get a flat response in my room. Too much furniture and 'wife stuff' in the room.

SVS sells equalizers that would work with any sub. The 'cheap' one is $179.

I'm not sure how much of a pain they are to set up, and I haven't read about many people using them. I keep it as a possible upgrade in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks