What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You’ll have to look long and hard to find a more enjoyable or effervescent screen transcription of a hit Broadway musical than George Abbott and Stanley Donen’s The Pajama Game.

The Pajama Game (1957)

Released: 10 Dec 1957
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 101 min

Director: George Abbott, Stanley Donen
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical, Romance

Cast: Doris Day, John Raitt, Carol Haney, Eddie Foy Jr.
Writer(s): George Abbott (screenplay), Richard Bissell (screenplay), George Abbott (book), Richard Bissell (book), Richard Bissell (novel)

Plot: An Iowa pajama factory worker falls in love with an affable superintendent who had been hired by the factory's boss to help oppose the workers' demand for a pay raise.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With this review we have both consistent hues and a consistent Hough; which translates, always, into consistent excellence.

Many thanks, Matt.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't much like musicals, but this one's pretty fun, and a lot of that credit goes to the Bob Fosse-choreographed numbers.

Agree that the Blu-ray looks tremendous!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I am SO over the moon at this review and I feel like I've been waiting for this on blu-ray for YEARS! Oh, wait, I HAVE, lol :lol:

Thanks Matt, I'm so jealous that you've already seen it but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

With this review we have both consistent hues and a consistent Hough; which translates, always, into consistent excellence.

Well, THAT brings up an interesting point. In my head, I've been pronouncing his last name all these years as "Huff!" Should it be "Hew?"

Inquiring minds need to know!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I forget where I read it, but what I understand is that Donen wanted Abbott, who was the producer, to share credit for directing because he wanted Abbott's input to make the film consistent with the stage play. Abbott agreed if Donen took co-producer credit. Result: the movie was, according to the New York Times, looking as if it were "plucked off the Broadway stage and re-created as a movie." The two men must have liked working together, because they did the same thing with Damn Yankees.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Well, THAT brings up an interesting point. In my head, I've been pronouncing his last name all these years as "Huff!" Should it be "Hew?"

If it isn’t pronounced as Hoe;
then I, too, must also know.;)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am SO over the moon at this review and I feel like I've been waiting for this on blu-ray for YEARS! Oh, wait, I HAVE, lol :lol:

Thanks Matt, I'm so jealous that you've already seen it but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

Well, THAT brings up an interesting point. In my head, I've been pronouncing his last name all these years as "Huff!" Should it be "Hew?"

"Huff" is correct, Will; just like siblings Julianne and Derek on TV.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, there goes my whole rhyming scheme. :rolleyes:

Guess I’ll never be published by Houghton-Mifflin.;)

RE-WRITE of Post #2:
Thank you, Matt, for this review and for your consistent excellence.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Who knows. You can basically pronounce it anyway you want based on the crazy English language.

Rough
Tough
Dough
Though
Through
Cough
Bough
Slough
etc.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Which, surprisingly, is pronounced HOOT-en!
Hmmm- I thought it was pronounced MIFF-lynn - as in Dunder Mifflin ;) !

1610875138373.png

The British version of The Office has the company located in Slough (wiki says it's prounouced as Slau - rhymes with now)- as paid homage in the address for the US version -
1610875387989.png

Which bring us back to DOH

tenor.gif
:D!

jan goorsky

Agent
I just played the dvd on my 85" Sony and it is barely watchable. The video only looks acceptable on a 32' set. I will definitely upgrade this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks