What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
*Blush* Also in the commentary stable is my good friend Dr. Reba Wissner, author of the definitive book on the music of the series (and a frequent guest on my podcast).

View attachment 43480
Amazon link

I finally received the book and I was pleased to read some edifying revelations about the music.
The book is designed and targeted for a niche of music lovers and soundtrack aficionados.

First of all, two episodes ("The Galaxy Being" and "The Invisibles") have original scores
and they are absent in the La La Land set of The Outer Limits: I wonder why?

Second, many cues from Stoney Burke were re-recorded and altered for The Outer Limits,
which imply there is a library music for The Outer Limits that is unreleased.

Third, there are 16 scores of Stoney Burke whose cues are re-used for The Outer Limits.

The only drawback of the book is the inferior reproduction of the pictures.

Last edited:

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
First of all, two episodes ("The Galaxy Being" and "The Invisibles") have original scores
and they are absent in the La La Land set of The Outer Limits: I wonder why?

Some cues from those are on the cds, but yes, alot of music is not on the LLL release in general. You should search Filmscoremonthly (using google) for film music information in general, and for details about LLL releases. To save you the trouble:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=51117
"I just want to point out that this release is EVERYTHING that has survived and neither Mr Frontiere or MGM have any more music. This was a two year effort and we made sure to include everything that existed (and what was in "useable" shape)."

That said, there's mention of a "music and effects" track used for some cues on the earlier OL Crescendo cd. This might be the audio track on the film copies. Twilight Zone fortunately had separate music and effects tracks which is how they could add isolated music to the definitive video releases. Anyway, even if the OL only has a mixed music/effects track, that would still have been worthwhile to include on the blu-ray. That's what they did for Karloff's THRILLER dvds.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
"I just want to point out that this release is EVERYTHING that has survived and neither Mr Frontiere or MGM have any more music. This was a two year effort and we made sure to include everything that existed (and what was in "useable" shape)."

So it means that “The Galaxy Being" and "The Invisibles" scores are lost.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
When Reba wrote "original score," that didnt mean ALL of the music in that episode was original. That's obvious from the various sources indicated in the track lists. GALAXY BEING (aka Please Stand By) and INVISIBLES contain cues from other OL episodes and Stoney Burke.

Last edited:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The thing that frustrates me about the LLL set is that they didn't use the actual cue titles, which makes it kinda hard to determine which cues survived and which didn't... even using the cue sheets, I still have no idea.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (it still kills me that they stopped at season six on DVD, and still haven't given us the three Hour seasons). I would absolutely pay top dollar for the series on Blu-ray. That also goes for The Invaders, The Fugitive, Men Into Space, Science Fiction Theater.... the list goes on and on and on....!
If you have a region free player, season 7 and the hour shows have been released pretty much everywhere except North America. They’re on Amazon’s UK site. I got mine sent from Madman Australia.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
If you have a region free player, season 7 and the hour shows have been released pretty much everywhere except North America. They’re on Amazon’s UK site. I got mine sent from Madman Australia.
The HHOUR (from Madman) look excellent. The fact that Universal USA didnt even finish AHPresents, ending with season 6 with imperfect made-on-demand discs, I guess shows it wasnt a money maker...yet there's enough demand in the rest of the world to get great looking retail quality of everything? Is Madman going broke over their decision to release those sets?
The potential drawback of the Madman dvds is when the PAL higher audio pitch ruins some actor's voices. Some you get accustomed to, but I recall Bob Newhart sounding really squeaky. I corrected the pitch in my collection.
All three HHOUR seasons (from Madman) were available thru regular USA stores (deepdiscount, dvd planet, etc) but looks like they're no longer offering all of them.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
From La La Land Records concerning any new Frontiere releases
"With Mr. Frontiere's passing it makes it quite difficult to deal with now. He controlled the vertical and horizontal, so to speak."

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
If I may digress briefly to Hitch Hour, the 8-disc sets released in UK are very cheap on AmazonUK. 14 pounds each, which is really 11.70 pounds when VAT is removed for USA customers. $16.50 each, plus shipping. I dunno if they're the same quality as the Madman releases.
Just a quick reply before turning back to our beloved Outer Limits...Sadsack, I have the R2 Fabulous Films UK Alfred Hitchcock Hour complete series release, along with S7 of AHP, and they are beautifully done...I can't imagine the R4 Madman sets are any better...the PAL speedup in slightly higher pitch is notable, especially in well known voices like Hitch himself, but it doesn't bother me excessively...at those prices you cited, they are a steal for USA customers...and even for Canadians like myself...it's always a nice benefit to see the VAT disappear just before final checkout for export customers on Amazon UK...I'd say to any AHP and AHH fan, buy them!

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I just wish we knew one way or the other that Universal WON'T release AHP s7 or AHH domestically. As I recall, there were big gaps between the earlier seasons too. But... I do have a region-free player, so why not?
They're waiting for you to buy the PAL sets, then they'll announce blu-ray releases. You can always re-sell them. Now that you have business credentials from your OL commentary, you can try to write them off as a biz expense.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
MI0tZbD.gif

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks