What's new

The Ongoing "Married By America" Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since there's a thread that's basically against this show and shows of its ilk, please consider this the ongoing thread for fans of the show and would like to discuss the contents of the show without having to endure thread farts by those sick of these reality TV shows.

If you must vent your feeling on this show, please go here to vent on "Married By America."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...sort of a stinky show in spots (in that it dragged on and on with the Q&A). They should have shown us the interrogations, that would have been much more entertaining. Some of it made me feel like I was watching "The Weakest Link".

The finalists (men) for the 2 women aren't all that. But will America saddle Stephen with the Denise who's posed for Playboy? I hope so. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I watched about 5 minutes, starting 27 minutes into the show. It was so incredibly dull I couldn't stand it. Yeah, it looked like they recycled the set from "The weakest link".

/Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it might get better once they get the couples engaged and then follow them around for the next 5 weeks or so. Wednesday night will cover the last 2 "contestants".

I really feel sorry for whoever ends up with the brunette, talk about self-centered.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, what's funny is that one of the two choices for Stephen, Denise L (I think, the one with the big...hat) is not even single, she's separated and in the process of getting divorced from her present husband. I guess the other Denise (the brunette) wins by default. :D

Only on FOX...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, what's funny is that one of the two choices for Stephen, Denise L (I think, the one with the big...hat) is not even single
That's a pretty big DOH!!!! for FOX. You'd think they'd check that their participants in a show called "Married by America" are actually single.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Got around to watching the match-ups.

These "proposals" were actually pretty entertaining to watch. The differences from instant chemistry and guarded optimism to simply polite was on display.

1. Jill and Kevin - instant chemistry.

2. Cortez and Matt - guarded optimism. I don't think Cortez physically dug Matt.

3. Billie Jean and Tony - this is going to be the wild couple to beat. Also instant chemistry, but might burn out too quickly.

4. Jennifer and Xavier - polite, and somewhat stuffy/awkward. I blame most it on Jennifer.

5. Denise D. and Stephen - no chemistry, just politeness. I don't think Stephen physically dug Denise.

The other Denise L. just played mute when asked about her previous marriage that hasn't been dissolved. It was a very strange TV moment. She just literally clammed up.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I've been dragged into this show by my wife. I even had to resort to using our attic antenna (put up for HDTV) to get the Fox station in another city since the Fox affiliate in Raleigh decided not to air it since it was demeaning to marriage. I agree with your assesment on the couples Patrick. Billie Jean seems cool with just about anything, my onky question is if she can stand just being with one man for the rest of her life. Tony will be needing some blue pills at some point in his life as she is a stone cold freak.

It is so funny since obviously, the families and freinds of these people know them but I am sitting there wondering how the heck they thought some of these people could be a good match. Especially Jennnifer and Xavier and Cortez and Matt, come on, those couples will be out 1 and 2.

I also love how Denise L said in her backstage interview, "It was in Vegas, that is not real... it wasn't a marriage, we never had a house with a white picket fence, blah, blah, blah." Maybe someone needs to acquaint her with the legal definition of marriage. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The previews show Jennifer being a cold fish with Xavier, and he was losing his cool, French ways with her. I don't think there's a guy for Jennifer at this stage in her life.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
So when was Monday's episode shot? It couldn't have been too long ago, since it had the results of the voting, yet they already had clips from when the couples go off to the resort to live together.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They could have shot the footage after the Wedneday night show once the voting was done (for Jennifer and Matt's final spouse candidate), so that gives them Thursday to get to the retreat, and through the weekend to get footage of the "happy" couples at the spiffy retreat.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
That's what I assume now, but before they showed those clips, I thought they implied that Monday's show was live. Obviously not.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, its over and nobody got married. The editing at the end sure made it seem like it was not going the way it did. Quite a scene at the end between Billie Jean's roomie and everyone else. Also, in his football injury, did Kevin lose his balls? What a mama's boy. He actually wanted his family to make his decision for him.

Pretty funny how they said that Xavier did not have any desire to speak to Jennifer and she didn't want to speak to him either.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I thought the whole idea was some couple gets married based on America's votes

Yeah, they kept calling it an experiment in arranged marriage, but it wasn't. Arranged marriage means you marry the person assigned to you, not just live with them for a month & decide if you want to proceed.

If the couples are going to have time to make a rational decision, I'd rather have them choose each other than have the audience do it. :D

I'm a little surprised neither couple got married for the half million, if nothing else.

So far none of the primetime dating reality shows (like Bachelor/ette, Joe Thousandaire,...) has led to a marriage.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, as it turned out, 5 couples were matched by a combo of audience votes and their family/friends then over a few weeks the 5 couples were narrowed down to 2 by a panel of "relationship experts". After the 2 couples were decided, the audience called in to vote for their favorite couple, the one who won the vote would receive a prize package worth around 500k if they got married and then stayed together for a certain length of time. Each of the couples had a wedding ceremony where they answered I Do or I Don't.

In the first situation, Jill said I Don't to Kevin as she was concerned about his closeness with his family and lack of direction in his life.

In the second ceremony, Billie Jean was totally in love and said I Do and got shot down by Tony.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, isn't it refreshing to see that people aren't willing to marry for money? These Fox specials are little social experiments with plenty of temptation thrown in for seasoning.

Billie's friend's reaction to Tony's "I don't" was classic stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks