What's new

'The Omen' trilogy, I forgot how great these films are! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is just a random appreciataion thread celebrating The Omen trilogy. I was watching the original the other day on one of the Encore channels and it was about half way through, I was put in the mood to watch the entire thing and so I searched for it and found it on Encore On Demand and it was also in it's OAR to boot.

I had forgotten how intense this movie was and I just gained a new appreciation for it, afterwards, I cued up Damian Omen II also on Encore On Demand and also in it's OAR and enjoyed that one just as much, one of the few examples where the sequel is just as good as the original, the boy who played Damian did a fantastic job with it. It just struck me how much effort they used to really put forth in sequels back in the late 70's early 80's, they strove for equality between each film and here they mostly succeeded IMO.

Anyhoo, after that one I felt compelled to finish off the trilogy and cued up The Final Conflict On Demand but sadly this one wasn't in it's OAR, but I pressed on and watched it anyway. Wow, I had actually forgotten that Sam Niel played Damian in this one and he was one sinister bastard! I mean he ordered the murders of new-born babies for freaks sake! :eek:

Try THAT in a moderen horror film and see how far you get lol.

I thought that Damian went out like a punk at the end, though, he get's stabbed in the back once, stumbles to the alter, says "You have won...nothing." then dies." :confused: She should have stabbed him a couple of more times to make it more dramatic but what can you do?

Wasn't there a plot hole as well...in the original the guy tells Gregory Peck that he needs to stab Damian in a very specific way in order to kill him, but here he get's stabbed only once and dies, and not even in the chest. I suppose it's because the presance of the Christ child has weakened him to the point where it only took one dagger to kill him?

I immediately went out the next day and attempted to buy the complete trilogy but was informed that it wasn't out yet. :frowning: But i'll be getting it for sure. It just goes to show you that it pays to revisit older films that you haven't seen in many years. :emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
John,
There definitely was a plot hole in THE FINAL CONFLICT, but it was intentional. It was the producers way to be able to make a new film if FINAL CONFLICT was successful. It was only a moderate hit, so no theatrical sequels ensued. However, there are two novels floating around that take advantage of how THE FINAL CONFLICT ends, and there is that infamous OMEN IV Television Movie from the nineties.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Yes, the plot hole was intended to be followed up in a sequel called "Armageddon 2000". There was a paperback released in the eighties. I haven't read it, and I'm not sure how much it would've resembled the actual movie that was to be made.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I don't mind THE FINAL CONFLICT, but OMEN II was a complete bore. Its plot boiled down to someone discovering Damian's the antichrist, that person dies. Not many twists and turns in that one.

paul_v

Second Unit
The anti-christ being murdered is Biblical...however the anti-Christ comes back to life which is how he deceives people into believing that he is Christ (hence the definition of "anti-Christ" as "false Christ")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks