What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I was reading over at dvdtalk and it looks like the Director's Cut went OOP on 1/8/06, so it's really gonna happen! I'm so excited!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I hope it really happens (though I'm gonna try to hold out for Blu-ray).

I tried to watch my old DVD again the other night and just COULDN'T. It's not "Outland bad" but it was only like one degree better...looked so "video" on the projector there was just no way to ignore it and look past it to just watch the movie.

Save us Warner Brothers...Save us! And make this one of your first titles to showcase on HD!!!

As an aside, I had the opportunity to see the original theatrical cut on the big screen a few years back, before the existence of the "Director's Cut". I found that seeing the film in the theater was profoundly different from my experiences watching it on home video, but not for the normal reasons (proper aspect ratio, sound, scale, etc.). What I found was that the pace of the film revealed itself to be much more languid than I had ever realized. Of course, the atmosphere was even more dreamy, courtesy of the presentation, but it was the slowness, if you will, that filled the screen. For that reason, it was like seeing a completely different film. If any of you have or have had the opportunity to experience the film in this way, I'm curious to know if your experience was similar. In the end, the film was just as fantastic as it ever was, but the difference was incredible. I have yet to associate such a phenomenon with any other picture that I've seen theatrically, and thought it worth mentioning for that reason.

CLD

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get a chance to see the original theatrical version projected theactrically, but I *did* see the Director's cut projected in Phily...what an amazing experience.

The best way to describe it was as a true "art film"...those amazing visuals in 2.35:1. Astounding. And the languid/slow pace that you noticed really made the film feel powerful...like it was confident and real and didn't need to sacrifice its integrity to "keep up the pace" to maintain interest. This reminds me of way that I've seen people stare for minutes at a time at an HD image of a turtle sunning itself on a rock at Best Buy because they're so transfixed by the picture quality...that's sort of like moments in Blade Runner...it's so transfixing that it can just be-what-it-is without having to work to earn your attention because it's such a grounded and powerful image.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
What I found was that the pace of the film revealed itself to be much more languid than I had ever realized.
That was my reaction upong seeing the DC in the theater over a decade ago. It's a moody, leisurely paced film in any incarnation, but the DC really made it more so. With the narration gone, you were free to simply drink in the visuals and music. That had a definite effect on how the pacing felt.

Of course, you said you were watching the TC, not the DC. I would imagine that when projected on a really big screen, with no bathroom breaks or commercials, any version of the film is more "transfixing," to quote Mr. Boulet. More dreamlike. The two-hour running time can feel more like three ... but not in a bad way.

--Jefferson Morris

Alex Antin

Grip
This is an interesting film...one of my favorites. Phillip K Dick who wrote the short story was a true visionary in SciFi and his untimely death left many of us wanting more of his work.

I have seen this movie...in the theater.. at least a dozen times in all sorts of presentations including in 70mm 6 track Mag at Radio City Music Hall in NYC.

I have to say that each time I see the film I see a little bit more in the background. Douglas Trumbull crammed SO MUCH visual information in the Backgrounds that you almost have to watch it fram by frame (as i once did with the Citterion CAV LD.

As many know it was not a successful film and Harrison Ford has distanced himself from it since it was made over 25 years ago.

The companion book..The Making of Blade Runner is very interesting and if you are a fan of the movie..I highly recommend it.

So the rumor started years ago was that we would finally see the "missing" footage when Decker visits Holden in the hospital after he is shot by Leon. I have heard that the footage is not in good shape...I have heard rights problems...I really wish it could be clarified about this scene...will we ever see it?

Juan C

Second Unit
So the rumor started years ago was that we would finally see the "missing" footage when Decker visits Holden in the hospital after he is shot by Leon. I have heard that the footage is not in good shape...I have heard rights problems...I really wish it could be clarified about this scene...will we ever see it?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. :D

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Everyone needs to get down and pray that the number of discs is wrong. PLEASE BE WRONG!!!!!!
2 discs would make sense and fit in with their 2-disc dvd line. maybe one of the discs is a flipper? I hope that it is more than 2 discs, but I wouldn't be surprised at there being 2 discs.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
A BBC documentary aired in 2000 and this scene was shown. The scene and the actor playing Holden are not that good. Plus, he just looks goofy in that bed and the dialogue he has isn't very interesting. This was rightfully cut.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
A BBC documentary aired in 2000 and this scene was shown. The scene and the actor playing Holden are not that good. Plus, he just looks goofy in that bed and the dialogue he has isn't very interesting. This was rightfully cut.
Actually it was Channel 4 not the BBC, I have a copy on VHS, the scene is interesting to see, but has no place in the movie :)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Now THAT's crazy!! I don't understand how anyone can deny themselves such a landmark film just because a DVD isn't up to par. Even if the DVD was up to par there's still going to be HD - DVD and a next format after that, and another one after that.
I'm not denying myself anything (by holding out for a proper release before seeing this film). It's not like I'm just staring at the walls or going to bed early. There are plenty of other items on my must see list that already look great. They'll keep me occupied until this movie is ready.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Now THAT's crazy!! I don't understand how anyone can deny themselves such a landmark film just because a DVD isn't up to par. Even if the DVD was up to par there's still going to be HD - DVD and a next format after that, and another one after that.
Regarding "denying"...
the current DVD is SO INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE on a projection system that it really does a disservice to this art-film. I'd go so far to urge someone who hasn't seen it to hold out just a little longer so their first viewing would do the movie justice, unless their display is small enough (or they sit far enough away) that the problems with the DVD aren't too distracting for them.
I've seen this film at least 10 times, so at this point I can "hold out" until it's released properly.
for me that *is* hi-def, by the way...
:D

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I want to see a new edition of Blade runner on DVD. I have the workprint on VHS and I still haven't watched it, but I did watch the Channel 4 documentary. I hope a revised and expanded edition of Future Noir will see print next year (since 2007 is 25 years of BR). Definitely Blade Runner is my favorite film. I did break down and buy the DC on DVD (I also have the DC and TC on VHS, Future Noir, a book on the special effects of Blade Runner, the BR sequel novels, PKD's novel, the BR comic book, and various magazines on BR).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Future Noir is a fantastic book, but I feel that the author should hold off until the real director's cut is finally made, and then expand the book with details about how it came to be.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

He sure did, although it should be said that Trumbull only did the first third of the optical effects. Also, I think that the visual density, not only of the SFX but of the whole movie, was Ridley's responsibility.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks