What's new

The Nostradamus hoax (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Its a proven fact that given any "prediction" of sufficiently vague wording, you will get a hit of some sort. After all, Nostradamus published hundreds of verses supposedly predicting the future... but people can only point to a handful of possible hits, and of those not a single one is an exact prediction without some flaws. Not exactly proof he was seeing the future in my view.
For instance a few years back someone published a book about the "Bible Code"... where if you put all the first 5 books of the bible together and then start skipping x number of characters forward, you can spell out new words that supposedly have relevance to the future.
However a mathmatician found he could find the same phenomenon in War and Peace.
Basically such prophecies are like what supposed psychics today use... a form of cold reading where you throw out seemingly random garbage and then narrow it down based on a sophisticated analysis of the person you are reading's feedback. Given enough random stuff, you are bound to get a hit.
[Edited last by Danny R on September 14, 2001 at 01:11 PM]

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a radio powerful enough to pick up Chicago-area community radio here in Seattle. If I did, I'd listen to KAOS FM from Olympia, WA.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks