What's new

The next Austin meet? (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Doc, I'll get tickets at tonight's rehearsal. Thanks.

While I'm thinking about it, I'll resurect an idea - who is interested in acoustic treatment for their HT room? Colin comes to mind. A working meet that includes measurement and analysis of what to build would be cool. Then a follow-up meet at which we actually "build" the solutions, then a final to take new measurements. Whaddya think? Too many meets on one topic? Then how about one meet for measurement and design of the acoustic panels, bass traps, etc. After that, it would be up to the owner to build and install 'em.
I remember the interest/enthusiasm among folks at Doc's when Igor did the room acoustics seminar, and then at my place when we built some panels. I'm not trying to highjack this thread, just bringing up a possibility for the next meet after the one in this current thread.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Hank -

I like the acoustic treatment idea. :) JonathanDA actually came over last December and took the measurements to run the model before, but then he and I both got busy with out-of-town trips and work-related things and never really got the project off the ground. But of course I'm open to reviving the project for an HT meet. :)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Colin, YGM.

Hank, I think your idea has potential but takes a fair amount of advance commitment of both time and money from people. Here's how I see that scenario best working:

1. We pick one person's HT (Colin or John perhaps) who is ready to do a full blown treatment of their HT room.
2. Said person agrees to pony up the cash to implement the acoustical design that we (the collective we) arrive at.
3. Someone does the acoustical analysis and designs the treatments (I already have an agreement with Colin; would be happy to discuss with anyone else interested)
4. Said person buys all the materials for the treatments
5. We have a construction party at their house
6. Pass out from exhaustion

I'm thinking this is probably a two month process.

Regarding the current meet, it looks like the Miniplex will be in use for other purposes on 5/1 and we'll be at Hank's concert on 4/24. What about 5/8?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Doc, I agree with your acoustic treatment proposal. I knew 3 meets on one topic would have almost no appeal, but wanted to open discussion on how to do such a meet. A few of us enjoy building, so that might be a small, off-to-the-side meet. No observers - just people who will actually work.;)

I'm open for 5/8.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Turns out 5/8 will be better for me than the 4/24 date I originally proposed. I may end up in Dallas on business around that weekend. If not, I'll be at the ASB concert with everyone else...

JonathanDA - I'll send you E-mail later tonight about the room treatment / analysis stuff.

Everyone - I'm willing to make my HT the "case study" for an acoustic treatment meet. I will need to talk to JonathanDA about the results of the analysis and the level of expense required to treat the room. I'm OK with doing a starter project in the hundreds of $, but if it runs into solid four-figures it's probably too much for me to do in May. The tax man wants me to pony up an additional $700 that would have been better spent on HT. :frowning:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member

THAT is an absolutely uninformed, and might I add tasteless attitude on the part of the IRS agent. Invite him to the tour meet and we'll bring him over to the Dark Side.

Okay, back to the currently planned meet. Is 5/8 okay with everyone? If not, I'll go with the majority. Also, it seems like the majority is in favor of a HT tour, so let it be. Who will sign up to expose their HT's to this ragtag group of erstwhile movie/music fans?
C'mon, who'll be the first? Step right up...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Personally I celebrate when I have to pay a little extra to the Taxman because that just means I was able to hold on to more of my money during the year and possibly earn some interest off it rather than overpay and let the IRS make that interest - not to mention having to wait several weeks to get my refund check. In other words Colin, you are better off, financially, when you owe them Vs. them owing you. :)

Any date is good with me simply because I might not be able to make any date. Just keep me posted and mark me down as a maybe!

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

I have no idea which dates work for me yet, but I'll try to be there.

Also, if anyone wants to see the BenQ 8700+ (720p native HD2+ DLP projector), I just ordered one and could bring it along too. It'll be here on Weds.

I got a great deal at Visual Apex, and it includes a free portable DVD player too!

-Dave

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
I should be able to make May 8th, so it looks like I'm in. I'd be happy to offer my garage "shop" for the construction projects, if you need it.

Rich

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter

I think Hank's just ignoring my posts now, that's two he didn't read.

I believe 5/8 works for us, that'll give us a little time to get a few more improvements done.

Dave, as long as you're offering, I'd LOVE to see the 8700 in my theater. It's at the top of my upgrade list. Next to new speakers, of course, but I've already a sweet deal lined up on those ;)

John, I'm out of town till Tuesday, but I'll shoot you an email when I get back. We offer a nice entry level acoustical analysis package that won't break the bank if you're interested. It gives you a breakdown of the room modes, recommended speaker placement, and recommendations on how to treat the room. I usually offer help designing the treatments for free if you're a DIYer as well.

One of Frederick's wire installation customers (and HTF member) Gomez, mentioned to me he might be interested in being a stop of the tour as well. I'll see if 5/8 works for him.

ReneZam

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like May 8th is shaping up to be the day I will ask off of work that day so I can join the parade. Dave I see that you did get the 8700 id like to see it in action.

I would like to show my half built theater but thanks to my dog im that much further behind now..see my dog its a digger he will dig to get out of the yard and get his butt kicked by the neighbors dog so one night I threw him in the garage/half built theater while I fixed the hole he dug so I wouldn’t have to worry about it..By the morning he had tried to dig out by going thru the wall i would post a pic of it but i dont have 15 posts yet

Chad Anson

Second Unit
May 8th is iffy for me. But if I am in town, I'll gladly add the Anson Hillside Cinema to the lineup.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
May 8th is also better for me as well. Am looking forward to seeing Chad's Anson Hillside Cinema as well as I missed the grand opening.

Gomez

Agent
Hey folks it's been a while since I posted much less visited this site. Hope all is well. I look forward to the Tour of Homes and look forward to showing my HT as well. May 8th works for me so far if its late in the day, the morning we have the Chuys 5k to run. I may possibly be hosting a LAN party that night but I haven't got any commitments as of yet.

As I was telling J-man and Frederick, I can show off my new speakers and new receiver if anyone is interested. Wouldn't mind a room analysis as well.

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys.... The Benq projector arrived yesterday in good shape. Based on the serial #'s I've confirmed that it is definitely the PE8700+ (HD2+ DLP chip) model, as promised by Visual Apex.

Out of the box it looks damn good. Big improvement in color depth, contrast, and its nearly silent. The resolution difference isn't really apparent until you put on some HDTV. I can't seem to settle on a color temp setting I like, but the good news is they're user defineable settings. The other thing is that its much bigger and heavier than my old DLP. There goes the inconspicuous little cigar box on the ceiling :)

I watched a lot of HDTV, which looked great. DVDs did also. I almost made it through half of Return of the King before I realized I was supposed to be watching clips of several DVDs, not just one 3hr movie. Don't ask where it came from.... ;-)

I must say, though, it definitely highlights how good my little LT150 was when I bought it 3 yrs ago. Aside from noise and a bit of color issues, it really did a fantastic job. It still looks as good as any

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dave,
Glad you got your Benq. So do you feel it was worth the $$ or do you think the 7800 might be a better buy? Did you see any rainbows on it?
John

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I certainly think its the best value out there for an HD2+ level projector. I think the 7800 is overpriced, IMO. The PE8700+ is available for less than $4100, whereas the 7800 is more like ~$3400. In that comparison, I definitely think I'd pay the extra money for a true HD native device.

Now, when you compare it to the NEC HT 1000 (now on clearance for $2600ish) it becomes more of a dilemma. The HT1000 will do 16:9 at the same resolution as the Benq 7800 and I think it's a better value. At that point, I would ask what you'd be watching more of during the next few years. If its HDTV sources, I'd go for the 8700+, if its DVD and regular TV I'd save the ~$1500 and go with the HT1000.

I find I'm watching more and more HDTV so I went with the PE8700+. I tend to upgrade every 3 yrs and get whatever the price/performance leader is at that time. Right now, thats the Benq with the HD2+ chip.

As for rainbows, I saw very few of them with the NEC despite a 2x 4segment color wheel. Those who have not owned a DLP should know that your susceptibility to rainbows decreases over time. Don't be alarmed if you see them frequently at first. When I first got the NEC I saw them everywhere. A few weeks/couple months later I realized I saw very few. Lately, I'd only see them during scrolling credits or flashlights or something high contrast moving on a dark background. In 1 night of Benq ownership, I have seen zero. Time will tell, but I'm pretty acclimated to DLP so I don't see them much at all any more.

Hope that helps. I've auditioned many DLP units over the last few years so I feel pretty comfortable saying the 8700+ is a real keeper.

-Dave

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sensitive to rainbows (I saw them incessantly on the NEC 150) but they are a total non issue for me on the current crop of HD2 chips. I haven't seen the BenQ 8700+ yet, but on the Optoma H76 (same guts as the 8700) I didn't see any rainbows during my brief 5 minute viewing of an HD sourced hockey game. For 98% of the population rainbows are going to be a non issue on any HD2 or better DLP, I wouldn't worry about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks