1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The next Austin meet?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Colin Dunn, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

I'm down for a trip to Schulz's. I could probably make June 3rd or 10th.

Hank, your house is a sunglass monster! I bet the sock monster lives there too. Hang on to them and I'll get them next time I'm over. I buy the cheapos for a reason.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

John, thanks for the Chernobyl link - that was great - and eerie.

Tubes, I hope you're not expecting a memorable musical event. Remember what I call it: "Music you'd never pay to listen to".

Doc, you're growing a pile of sunglasses are here.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Exactly, its free right?

Drink up on some beer, caiprihinha's, and margarita's over at Sampaio's first, and I can't picture anything but a good time.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Here's an interesting item from your intrepid reporter:

Hitachi releases a new front projector PJ-TX100J

Hitachi has announced on May 12 that they will release a new front projector PJ-TX100J with a newly developed F1.7 lens at 262,500 yen on June 10.
    PJ-TX100J has three 0.7” 1280x720 LCD panels and 150W UHB lamp that performs 1200 lumens luminance and 1200:1 contrast..
    The newly developed F1.7-2.4 (f=20-32mm) 1.6X zoom lens has four ED (Extra low dispersion) lens, an aspheric lens, and a new variable iris. The lens can be mechanically shifted 250% vertically and 150% horizontally. Minimum projection distance for 80” picture is 2.2m.
    The new variable iris controls light path electrically in ten gray levels and has enabled “black reproducibility” by suppressing light in dark scene. The projector also has gamma equalizing function that enables gamma correction at eight points.

I don't know any more about the PJ.

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

There were several excellent DIY topics, Q&A posts, as well as some regarding new HT equipment in this thread so I thought before this thread disappears and is replaced by the next Austin Meet Thread I'd forward them over to their corresponding subject titled threads for future reference and to perhaps continue these topics...

6. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Hank,
    Just curious. How do you think that Hitachi will compare to the Benq 8700+? That price is around $2500, not to bad.

7. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

John, there will be no contest between the Hitachi and the Benq. THe Hitachi is an LCD projector, which can display a great picture for the price, but is no match for an HD2+ chip.

8. John Prator

Jonathan,
    Ok, I was curious but had a feeling that would be the turnout. Thanks Jonathan!

On another note: I ordered a Vutec 110" Silver Star today!!![​IMG] I'm excited, can't wait to see it. Hope you guys have a good weekend.
    John

9. Hank Frankenberg

Doc, don't be too quick to pre-judge. Following your thought, every manufacturer of video display pj's should immediately switch from LCD panels to DMD's. And don't forget, I'm betting that LCOS has a very interesting future.

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Click here for some additional thoughts and to relocate this topic from the Meets thread. [​IMG]

11. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

John,

Because you are new to our HT group you may very well have missed that we have a few on-going threads dedicated to our group’s various interests. The purpose is so those wanting info on a particular subject don't have to rummage through multiple pages of posts in a thread to find it.

Here are the current on-going Austin threads on these various subjects:

Austin Movie Nights!
    This is where we all share our thoughts on Films, TV, DVDs, Games, Sports and where we invite each other over for social events like movies, games, poker, sporting events, etc.

Austin DIY HT Projects
    The title pretty much speaks for it self. This is where we share DIY ideas and submit Q&A posts regarding these ideas.

Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out?
    This thread is where fellow Austin HTers submit Q&A posts on non-DIY questions and share updates on upcoming technology and equipment.

Those are the three threads that are continual. Then we have temporary threads for simply discussing an upcoming meet:

The next Austin meet?
    Of course you are already familiar with this thread which was supposed to be for the May 8th meet, but the thread got a little broken up with so many different topics of which very few had anything to do with the meet itself.

June HT tour in Austin.
    This just got started in hopes that we can this time get a meet organized sometime in June.

In The next Austin meet? thread you posted several great topics, some of which, had you known, would have been better off posted in the other threads.

I've gone ahead and forward them on to those threads as well as the responses you got in the meet thread.

Click here to jump to your topics that were forwarded to the Austin DIY HT Projects thread.

Click here to jump to your topics that were forwarded to the Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? thread.

I'm sorry for all the confusion, but I hope this helps you out as well as everyone else.

Thanks!

12. John Prator

Nils,
    Thanks for the info, did I post something that was inappropriate?

I got the lighting installed and working in our HT this weekend, floor this coming weekend and after that it's the carpet!!The red/black/gray looks pretty darn good![​IMG] I can't wait to see how the carpet brings the room together(or not). Shouldn't be too long so I hope to have it ready for you guys to "inspect" by June. [​IMG]

13. John Prator

Damn, did I kill this thread or what??[​IMG]

14. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

John,

No, you didn't kill the thread. We just hop from thread to thread depending on where Nils leads us. [​IMG]

Theres always at least one thread thats active, so post there if all else fails. As you can tell, we have a bit of a problem staying on topic for more than a few posts [​IMG]

-Dave

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Nope, the thread was already on death's door after May 8th. But you may be playing the role of the guy who is always last to leave a party. [​IMG]

Click on any of the links above and you'll find the conversations are alive and well, just not on this thread.

16. John Prator

Dave and Nils,
    Ok, thought I had put the "last round" in the thread! I am pretty bad about staying on topic also, so bear with me at times. I can see where these threads easily get off topic though. You guys are a pretty close knit group and you like to bs about gear, meets, cars etc. You plan a meet and everyone talks about it, then you have the meet and everyone naturally goes back to that thread and reports back about how the meet went, who was there, what happened etc and it goes from there. I like it. Anyway, I really hope my HT is included in your "Tour of HT's", as long as ya'll take it easy on me! lol. Anyway, I'll try and stay a little more focused on topics/threads Nils.[​IMG]
    John

17. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

John look in the NEW June HT tour thread I am posting there asking fo you to send me your email. I am trying to organzi that thing and need to confirm some plans with you.

18. John Prator

Scott,
    I sent you a pm, did you get it?