What's new

The next Austin meet. (1 Viewer)

I'm fine with the location, except we'll be going north from there, right (to Round Rock)? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll have to travel south to get to the restaurant then head back north afterwards. However, if we have no other restaurant ideas and the various restaurants in the shopping center of Ultimate Electronics (Johnny Carino's, Chili's, other stuff I can't remember) don't excite anyone, this place is good with me. Actually, the food sounds good, too, so I have no problem with it. :)

On another note, I think the meeting is on Saturday, not Sunday.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, oops!

Ross' is not much farther south than Ultimate Elec, 1/2 milish, uses same Braker exit.
The only restaturants closer are Chili's and Johnny Carino's which sit in the parking lot of the complex.

Baby A's lies a bit north of there and I just saw that Colin had recommended this place much earlier in the thread as well.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Ross' sounds good to me. I think Mark Hayenga and Scott Hinson are planning to attend as well. I'll badger Claude into making an appearance if possible.

I'm up for still going to Ultimate. I think I'll haggle with them over the price of a Denon 2200.

I hope we get a good poker crowd for later in the evening; people better not bail early.

I'm gonna have to bail before poker, unfortunately. I'll probably be done after we do the mini-shootout of the projectors. Unfortunately have stuff I'm gonna have to get done at the house and/or work on Saturday. :frowning:

Claude Parent

Auditioning
I am tenative, but hopeful. I would like to hit Ultimate Electronics and the proj shootout, but will have to bail after that. It is the anniversary (1st) weekend, so I need to ensure progress on the HT front by taking care of the SO. :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
BTW: I've posted info regarding this Saturday's meet on AVS:

This Saturday's Comparison of Front Projection Technologies (CRT, LCD, DLP, LCoS)

Due to limited seating, I'll wait to get a final head count from Scott and Dale before passing out any firm invitations.

At the very least, after the comparison I am sure many of the folks at AVS would love to hear each person's opinions about these projectors and how they technologies compare with one another.

Excellent post. I'm glad to see that one of the projectors (mostly) in my price range, the Infocus 7200, is on that list. I think the Sony is in there as well although I'm looking primarily at DLP technology. Really looking forward to seeing it as the BenQ 8700 is another option I'm considering...

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Also I would like to be able to get Dale Johnson a rough head count on Thursday of how many to expect. Should I say five or are their more lurking that plan to attend?
Well, I don't have a game this Saturday, but I am gonna be at DKR for filming of the movie Cheer Up. I will be, appropriately enough, one of the refs in the film. I sure hope there will be lots of hot chickadees there.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
What time is lunch and more importantly, what time will the projector place visit ocur? I have to set up stage and then stage call, but would like to see the PJ's.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I sure hope there will be lots of hot chickadees there.
Where ever Toomy Lee is you can be sure there will be plenty of 'chickadees'.

Stephen Herek is a pretty decent director with a pretty broad resume (from 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' to 'Mr. Holland's Opus'). I still really enjoy his campy comedic 'B' movie classic - 'The Critters'. It will be interesting to see how 'Cheer Up' developes as a movie. I'm still having a hard time pictuering Tommy Lee as a Texas ranger, but then again, it is supposed to be a comedy. ;)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hank,

I threw out a schedule a while back I think it is on page 2. I had a late lunch scheduled for 2:30pm and then the projector demo at Dale Johnson's is scheduled for 5:30pm.

Three hours between the start of lunch and the projector demo is asking for Ultimate Electronics to hold our attention for at least an hour, which I am now not sure will be possible.

I am planning to have copies of a map with directions to get to Dale's house on me. So if you are not goign to anything prior to that stop and need directions email me privately. His address is also on his website.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter

I intend to attempt to talk them down on the price of a DVD player. Perhaps we can all amuse ourselves by ganging up on the poor salesperson I get and berate them continuously for their lack of technical knowledge?

Or not.

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to try and make it to Dales for the projector comparison. I probably won't make it to lunch though.

So put me down as a 75% sure for Dale's.

BTW, can you post directions to Dale's so I'll know where to be at 5:30? Is that still the estimated arrival time?

-Dave

I've got a friend that's interested in joining for the lunch through projector demo as well. Can you add another person to the activities from lunch to proj demos?

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
So where did we eventually agree on going to lunch? I will try to be there for the lunch, but I don't know how late I will be able to stay for the rest of the meet...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Nothing to add just show up, so far interest has been disappointingly minimal thus overcrowding is not a worry.

Sent out another email to our database to hopefully drum up some more attendees.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Hot Chicadees?! What and where is DKR?
Hank, that's UT stadium.

Unfortunately it's a 5:45 AM roll call tomorrow morning. Geez, I don't even wake up that early for my real job.

I hope someone on the film staff will be considerate enough to have a TV on so I can watch Ohio St. vs. Michigan, OU vs. Tech, and LSU @ Ole Miss. Maybe they'll have it on the jumbo-tron. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks