What's new

The next Austin meet. (1 Viewer)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Jose there is always plenty of room, so feel free to join the fun on 11/22.

BTW, Dale said yes.

So next detail we need to work out is where to meet up for a late lunch?

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
At some P-game night, someone mentioned that "Jazz at the Pawn Shop" was good. I want to pick up an HDCD copy.

Is this the right thing? Selections: Introduction, Limehouse Blue, I'm Confessin', High Life, Struttin' With Some Barbecue, Jeep's Blues, Stuffy, Lady Be Good, Here is That Rainy Day, Barbados, How High the Moon, Take Five, Everything Happens To Me.

Sorry to threadjack...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
That was me.
Yes those are the correct tracks.

The album was originally done by Proprius, but has since been remastered by FIM (First Impression Music) as well.

I purchased the FIM XRCD version, there is also an FIM SACD, both are up there in price, but well worth it for the sonics IMO. I can bring it to the meet if you want to hear it, before ordering a copy.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Maybe y'all can see one of these at the store you visit. This looks to be the best value in an LCD pj, the Sanyo PLV-Z2, which should be shipping any day now:
http://www.audiogeneral.com/Sanyo/PL...ec%20sheet.pdf
Contrast sounds good if it holds true. Very quiet (28dB) fan, and a veryl large optical lens shift that will allow for great mounting flexibility. Here's a graphic/animation of the lens shift:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p=ja_en&tt=url
The Boxlight version (2HD) is supposed to be released on 12/1. Imagine what these might be selling for next Summer.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hank, I've had my eye on a Z2 since the first ones started shipping from Japan. It would be my de facto choice if it weren't for the fact that its LCD panels don't have MLA, nor any kind smoothscreen technology like the Panasonic AE500. I'm worried that the screen door effect would be too pronounced to make it a decent option. Anyway, I'd love to see one, but Ultimate only carries Sharp pjs and I doubt Dale Johnson will have anything that "low-end".

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Dale mentioned he carries Infocus and Optoma. He sells all their models, but being a small business he only carries in his store the previously mentioned projectors, unless he is hiding one upstairs. He did mention for example that he would sell the Infocus X1 at $999, which is the street price, right?

I am going to list some LP's that I have that I think there is a good chance of someone haveing the CD copy. We need to know what to use to do LP vs CD comparisons.

Dixie Chicks "Home"
John Coltrane "Giant Steps"
Bob Dylan "Bringing It All Back Home"
Led Zepellin "Houses of the Holy", "IV", "In Through the Outdoor" These have little surface noise,but not bad
Joe Cocker "Greatest Hits"
White Stripes "Elephant" Got this one covered
Louis Armstrong "Plays W.C. Handy"
Audioslave
Ryan Adams "Gold"
Van Morrison "It's Too Late to Stop Now"

Anyone? Anyone got a match?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Y'all have fun drooling over all the stuff. Remember the line from Steve Martin's "The Jerk"? When his fortune starts to disappear, Bernadette Peters (yum-yum) said something like: "It's okay, I love you - I won't miss the money...it's all THIS STUFF I'LL MISS!"
I'll be okay - just giddy about being home with my rosewood after a high-pressure corporate week. Now where's that tequila?

This isn't quite part of this thread (and I apologize) but it *is* related to projector shopping in Austin.

I went to Ultimate this weekend and all they carry are the Sharp projectors and only three models. They do have the Definitive 7000sc towers (I liked those quite a bit) but projector-wise it's a little limiting.

I've been doing some more research today about projectors and keep reading good stuff about the BenQ PE8700. Does anyone know of a place in Austin that carries these projectors? I'm sorta down to that and the Infocus 5700 even though they're not quite in the same price range (but close)...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

I hope you don't mind, but I replied to your question on the Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? thread as that's where we have been mostly posting Q&As on HT products (especially projectors) as well as recent discussions on current and future projectors. By having these types of posts in one thread, it will make it far easier to find them later on than if they were on several different threads, or threads that go dormant.

Don't mind at all, Nils. Actually, this will give me another thread to watch so I'll know better where to get information on this board...

thanks!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
OK guys needed to give this thread a bump.

What restaurant do we want to have lunch at?

Who all is coming next Saturday?
Me - Yes
Nils - Yes for later half
Jonathan - Yes
Colin - Yes
Jose - Yes?
Ryan - Yes
Jeff M. - ?
Chad A.- ?
Steve S., other Jeff, Robert Z., Mark H. - up for poker at the least?
Hank - NO but can make lunch and Hank you should swing by the Doc's after your performance.

Is there still interest in even going to Ultimate Electronics after the reported dissappointment in it?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Are you a ref Robert? Or do you have kids that play on a college or highschool team?

Surely you are not saying that you can't do anything on weekends, because there is football being played on TV. If that is so, man you need to seek help.:)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
If that is so, man you need to seek help.
Well, you may be on to something on that one. :D

But yes, I am a high school ref, and playoffs are just starting to heat up. I have a game this Saturday afternoon and should work at least one more before my season is over. I am "going all in" in expecting to have a game on the 22nd.

If by chance I am off, and if I decide not to drive to a game as a spectator, then I might join you guys. I've not yet been to Ultimate Electronics, but I need a new sub for my HT, so some browsing wouldn't hurt.

I'm still in for the weekend, and I'd go to UE if the rest wanted to, but definitely not going to push for it -- the sound stuff there was okay (I like Definitive), but the projectors, which is the real reason for this trip, aren't worth the trip, IMHO.

Either way, though. I'm also fine for pretty much anything for lunch. If we go to UE, we have several restaurants in there that are available, if we skip it we can eat somewhere closer to the proj shop...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
So four days away and we have have got zero restaurant suggestions, so I shall throw one out.

How about Ross' Old Austin Cafe on 11800 N. Lamar. It is about a half a mile south of the Braker Lane intersection, but north of Rutland and Rundberg.

It would best be described as a laid back comfort food place. They serve beer, have a nice fresh salad bar and various other southern classic entrees like Chicken fried Steak. It should have plenty of seating outside or inside. (edit) What do you think?

Also I would like to be able to get Dale Johnson a rough head count on Thursday of how many to expect. Should I say five or are their more lurking that plan to attend?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks