The new _Solaris_ (trailers included).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

20th Century Fox Presents a James Cameron Production of a Steven Soderbergh Film:
    Solaris

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

This one looks promising. It's a remake though, so ya never know.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Is it a remake or a new adaptation of the original material? IIRC, there was very little Lem in Tartovsky's film.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Cameron and Soderbergh teaming up? Could be pretty good!

5. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

There's no way this film is coming out this year, they haven't even started principle photography yet.

It's a great book, and though I haven't been too impressed by Soderbergh or Cameron's more recent work, this does have the potential of being a really special film.

6. Gordon Elgart

Gordon Elgart Auditioning

The teaser trailer that ran before Minority Report listed a December 13 release date. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I may cross my fingers . . .

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

This should be interesting. I remember reading, I think it was the L.A. Times, a review when Solaris first was released in the United States wherein it was compared very favorably to 2001. I went to a theater (this I do remember - the Nuart in West L.A.) and watched a late showing of it. To me, it was very much in the mode of 2001 in that it required a very actively thinking viewer. I thought it was actually a very good science fiction movie, but not at the same level as Kubrick's classic, which I had seen many times, so the comparison might not be valid due to my familiarity with 2001. I really anticipate the remake, but worry that it might end up typical Hollywood...well, you all know what I mean. But, what if they do it right. Then, it too might be a film being discussed on HTF 30 years from now...or about the time they decide to do an Andrei Rublev remake.

8. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

9. Sarah Temple

Sarah Temple Agent

the trailer in MINORITY REPORT was more like a teaser to me. im interested to see the outcome though. i think its a pretty fantastic team!!

10. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am pretty much perched in Dana's camp. Solaris is a monumental, unforgettable triumph. Which is why I'm apprehensive about this new thing, Soderbergh notwithstanding. Cameron producing should bring fears of the Big Dumb Hollywood Production to mind. I am trying to be open to this new thing, but I certainly am not hopeful.

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Hey, I just caught the Solaris trailer over at http://www.apple.com/trailers
    Apparently, it's directed by Steven Soderbergh and produced by James Cameron?? Has this been under wraps or something for a while? I hadn't heard of it until I saw the trailer. I guess it stars George Clooney. The synopsis sounds a little like Event Horizon:
    "Astronaut Kris Kelvin travels to a space station orbiting the planet Solaris. He discovers that the commander of an expedition studying the planet has died under mysterious circumstances and that the planet itself is responsible for the death. Solaris, it turns out, is not only a planet, but a giant and powerful life form that has been studying and destroying the minds of the scientists who have been observing it. Now it's Kelvin's turn, and Solaris will use his deepest, darkest fears against him."
    Thanks for the merge---I'm an idiot.

14. Nigel McN

heh, watching Solaris while tired wouldn't be recommended [​IMG]
    I look forward to seeing what can be done, while I enjoyed the movie a lot, I am not sure how long it would take before I would want to watch it again [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Nigel McN

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've been hearing about this for awhile - Tarkovsky's film version of "SOLARIS" is the movie that turned me onto his brilliance as a director - and I was thrilled to see that little teaser before Minority Report yesterday.

Though I'm betting Soderbergh will stick closer to Stanislaw Lem's vision (whereas Tarkovsky used the novel more as a jumping off point to primarily explore themes of human guilt and redemption), I strongly recommend checking out Tarkovsky's version. It's available on a fine DVD from Ruscico with an anamorphic transfer and surprisingly effective 5.1 remix. Criterion has also announced that they'll eventually release Tarkovsky's "Solaris", but no release date's been set and it looks to be at least a little while before we see it.

There wasn't all that much to the teaser trailer, but the second I saw that space station in orbit above Solaris, I felt like applauding! As I sat there watching "Minority Report", thinking about "A.I." and the "The Matrix" sequels and the new "Solaris", I realized that we're in the midst of something like a sci-fi renaissance!

17. Jack Briggs

I wish I could share your optimism, Rich. We shall see, we shall see. ...

18. Jack Briggs

Ooooops. Forgot about the other thread about the same topic. Gonna merge the two. Fasten your seatbelts.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thanks, Jason! That review reads like it was written by someone with a clue... love the way he starts it off: