What's new

Pre-Order The Naked Spur (Warner Archive) (1953) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The Man from Laramie is definitely the best looking of the Mann / Stewart western, the Blu-ray also looks magnificent.
I bought both the twlight time and master of cinema bluray for laramie and kinda feel like the twlight version maybe a little better. At the time I was hoping they would get " Spur " or bend of the river which later got released by a diffrent label. Are there any plans for Winchester 73?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I bought both the twlight time and master of cinema bluray for laramie and kinda feel like the twlight version maybe a little better. At the time I was hoping they would get " Spur " or bend of the river which later got released by a diffrent label. Are there any plans for Winchester 73?
There are a bunch of Blu-ray releases out there and there also has been an announcement for the UK but not sure what kind of master these are based on. For an academy aspect ratio movie in black and white I can live with my HD recording that looks very much like the German Blu-ray but I would certainly upgrade for a new transfer released by Criterion:

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
So were there a total of 8 James Stewart / Anthony Mann collaborations and ONLY Winchester ‘73 (since the Naked Spur announcement) has not been released on Blu ray in the U.S.?

Yes
The Naked Spur - WB Archive
The Man from Laramie - Twilight Time
Bend of the River - Kino
Thunder Bay - Kino
The Glenn Miller Story - Shout! Factory
Strategic Air Command - Olive
The Far Country - Arrow

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So were there a total of 8 James Stewart / Anthony Mann collaborations and ONLY Winchester ‘73 (since the Naked Spur announcement) has not been released on Blu ray in the U.S.?
I never thought "Winchester '73" would be the last of those collaborations to make it onto Blu-ray in Region "A". It has always been my favorite one of the bunch.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I never thought "Winchester '73" would be the last of those collaborations to make it onto Blu-ray in Region "A". It has always been my favorite one of the bunch.
Dan Duryea stole the whole movie...I like it but Stewart to me got outshined. I do love the use of the rifle as a character. I believe Tarantino borrowed that concept for the brief case in pulp fiction.
I do find it odd that Winchester is the last because of all the other pictures it was probably the most successful. I remember Spielberg saying a few years ago his mission was to see it get a bluray release after he and Marty remastered Brandon masterpiece " one eyed jacks "

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dan Duryea stole the whole movie...I like it but Stewart to me got outshined. I do love the use of the rifle as a character. I believe Tarantino borrowed that concept for the brief case in pulp fiction.
I do find it out that Winchester is the last because of.all the other pictures is was probably the most successful. I remember Spielberg saying a few years ago his mission was to see it get a bluray release after he and Marty remastered Brandon masterpiece " one eyed jacks "
Duryea and Stewart only had one scene together so I don't totally accept your assessment that he got outshined. Sure, Duryea was great in this movie, but Stewart's character was the soul of this movie.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Duryea and Stewart only had one scene together so I don't totally accept your assessment that he got outshined. Sure, Duryea was great in this movie, but Stewart's character was the soul of this movie.
I definitely understand and respect your viewpoint as well. Stewart is the main focus but as soon as Dan comes into the movie I feel like the energy just shifts in the room. He was such a great bad guy and actor. I believe Stewart said in the dvd commentary that it's ironic how good he was as a bad guy because in real life he was such a nice man.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Really great news on this one. My favorite Stewart -Mann Western with a terrific performance by Robert Ryan. A film noir western with incredible scenery.

Yes, some of the best location work in any western, featuring Lone Pine and the Rockies. Oh, if only they'd waited a year, it coulda been shot in 'Scope.

One other thing that makes the film so noteworthy: It's obviously a blueprint for the later Boetticher/Scott/Kennedy westerns; it's quite easy to imagine Randy in Stewart's role.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Ryan's Ben Vandergroat reminds me of Aaron the Moor from Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus"...

"Some of the things...No, I wouldn't have done nothing no different..."

I love heels that never apologize for their evil deeds.

I also love Ryan's line..."Choosing a way to die, what's the difference. But choosing a way to live, that's the hard part."

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Yes, some of the best location work in any western, featuring Lone Pine and the Rockies. Oh, if only they'd waited a year, it coulda been shot in 'Scope.

One other thing that makes the film so noteworthy: It's obviously a blueprint for the later Boetticher/Scott/Kennedy westerns; it's quite easy to imagine Randy in Stewart's role.
Ride lonesome always felt to me like botteicher naked spur. I could see both happening in the same universe. Scott's character is simply a dead man walking the earth. Stewart had emotions even if he was a greedy bounty hunter.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
When NAKED SPUR will be out on BR, two more Mann's westerns will still be missing in HD; DEVIL'S DOORWAY (WAC) and paramount's THE TIN STAR. The DVDS were not so bad, but I'm dreaming BR.
One of the few western screenplays to be nominated for a Oscar. Perkins and fonda had some great moments. My favorite is him teaching him how to draw and fire a six gun correctly.
I hope paramount presents does it but I doubt it.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Not that original box office is taken into consideration by these people, but "The Tin Star" performed within the same range as "Last Train from Gun Hill," so maybe there's a chance they'll release it. VistaVision Black-and-white should look great!

"The Devil's Doorway" release would make WB Archive look very PC in these times. It's FAR MORE friendly to indigenous peoples than Broken Arrow was. But I'm sure that's lost on the non-humans now in control. What a year Anthony Mann had in 1950! "The Furies," "Winchester '73," "The Devil's Doorway," and "Side Street." Although, I wish Farley Granger's character wasn't presented as being so dumb in "...Street," which is the least of the four films. Still love the car chase in an eerily empty Wall Street, though.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Not that original box office is taken into consideration by these people, but "The Tin Star" performed within the same range as "Last Train from Gun Hill," so maybe there's a chance they'll release it. VistaVision Black-and-white should look great!

"The Devil's Doorway" release would make WB Archive look very PC in these times. It's FAR MORE friendly to indigenous peoples than Broken Arrow was. But I'm sure that's lost on the non-humans now in control. What a year Anthony Mann had in 1950! "The Furies," "Winchester '73," "The Devil's Doorway," and "Side Street." Although, I wish Farley Granger's character wasn't presented as being so dumb in "...Street," which is the least of the four films. Still love the car chase in an eerily empty Wall Street, though.
There is a serious drought of content on dvd/bluray (remastering) for robert taylor who is extremely underrated(They haven't even released his TV series for crying out loud). Devils doorway would be a excellent film to release on bluray as would westward the women for contemporary times. I always felt broken arrow was a shade too " conventional " and received too much praise for " what it is" although its a good picture.

As far as tin star it's definitely up in the air. I wish they would do a double bill for tin star with the lonely man since both star Perkins.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Completely different approaches in my opinion: Stewart is a driven man who has issues controlling himself in the Mann westerns while Randolph is a much more calm and controlled character through all the Boetticher westerns.

Very thankful to have all of them in my collection in good to very good quality - these are fantastic times for the movie collector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks