What's new

The Naked Kiss (VCI version) (1 Viewer)

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me if the VCI version of The Naked Kiss is pan & scan or open matte? I was thinking of getting this title; alas, it looks to have been MARred.

Thanks, RD

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmm, I'd say that's a tough call; open-matte it may be, but the VCI pic is pretty decent.

Is that a little edge enhancement I see on the Criterion?

---
So many films, so little time...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In Britain, Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are available together in a 2-disc set: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

Excellent transfers, albeit unmatted, which is a pity, but if like me, you have a 14:9 setting on your set, then they will look well-framed. Stanley Cortez was a great cinematographer and it's great to have some Fuller in my collection at last. Pick-Up On South Street will be released by Criterion next year with a $39.95 RRP, so it will probably be a 2-disc, so it is a must-buy for me.

There's a great quote on the British set:
"I think that if you don't like the films of Sam Fuller then you just don't like Cinema."
- Martin Scorsese

I agree. :D

Gordy

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Where've you been, Gordon? The specs for Pickup were announced earlier this week: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=224

Anyhow, both available Criterion Fullers look a bit dodgy, but these were very early discs. The prints are pretty good (slightly unstable at times and a few nicks and scars), but compression is the biggest drawback - everything shimmers and there's a fair bit of digital grain visible even on my most unsophisticated of setups. The sound on Shock Corridor is alarmingly crackly and hissy too.

Still, I've seen and heard much worse, and the films would be utterly enthralling even in a mangled 16mm print played backwards.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you love headroom by all means get the VCI - I'll be content with the Criterion until it gets upgraded in its proper ratio.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything about House of Bamboo, though I did see a restored print of it at the American Cinematheque earlier this year.

The Criterion Naked Kiss and Shock Corridor are both pretty "dodgy," as someone said. The laserdiscs were much softer, but these new versions have serious compression problems. I haven't seen the VCI discs yet.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
VCI looks pretty good to me and this comes from someone that has the Criterion version.

VCI version is 5.99 at DDD before 20 percent off deal. Criterion ain't bad at $17.25 (with discount) but I can't justify the added cost on this one ...

Most importantly, I like the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks