What's new

The Most Beautiful Films Ever Made on DVD (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Chiming in to lend more support for Pinocchio, and Dances with Wolves--the Extended Cut in particular allows for some long lingering shots that are exquisite in their beauty, and the DVD renders them pretty nicely as well.

I'd add Bambi to the list IF IT EVER COMES OUT ON DVD. :angry:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
A bit of weird one here - and will surprise you - but Monte Hellman's 1974 cult classic, Cockfighter is beautifully shot and Anchor Bay's DVD is excellent. Nestor Alemendros was the cinematographer, he later went on shoot Days Of Heaven, which many have rightly mentioned. That movie should be shown the Louvre.

Gordy

Britton

Screenwriter
When it comes to space scenes, I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a great one to look at. I simply love how the way the lighting on the Enterprise model looked in that particular movie.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Most of my picks have been covered. Here are a few not yet listed:

Almost Famous
Ice Age
Jerry Maguire
Memento

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
I always recommend:
Star Trek the Motion Picture
Superman The Movie
Bladerunner
Heat
Apocalypse Now
Alien 3

A decent cinematographer makes such a difference to a film IMO, it's only been in the past few years that I've taken a keen interest in cinematography but now it's becoming a major element in my enjoying a film. I've missed whole character arcs, subplots and even main plots because I've been so wrapped up in the look of a film.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Winged Migration needs to be added to this list. Coming in Nov on DVD
Actually it is already available in R1 Canada as a 2 disc set. I have had it for quite some time already. Search for it under the title "Le Peuple Migrateur".

One disc has the original French language (not that there is much dialogue) in DD5.1 with no subtitles and the second is the English language version in DD2.0 It is 1.85:1 anamorphic and is stunning to say the least.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
State of Grace is stunningly photographed by the late Jordan Cronenweth, and was one of his last films before becoming unable to work productively due to Parkinson’s Disease. Unfortunately, Cronenweth never received the critical recognition he deserved. His sense of lighting was one of the best in the second half of the 20th Century. Probably his best work can be seen in director Ridley Scott’s cult classic Blade Runner, but he also filmed many other fine works, including Ken Russell’s bizarro Sci-Fi/Philosophical effort Altered States. After filming State of Grace, Cronenweth was hired by rookie director David Fincher for his first film Alien 3, but was reportedly fired by the studio due to his inability, or unwillingness to set up shots as quickly as they wanted. In the end, Alien 3 was less than successful, leading Fincher to such levels of frustration that he refuses to discuss the film. Fincher later hired Cronenweth’s son Jeff to film his 1999 cult favorite, Fight Club starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt.
In the great looking but not all that great category, I'd add St. Elmo's Fire.

Picks of mine I don't think have been mentioned.

Fiddler on the Roof
The Man in the Moon
In the Bedroom

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Cronenweth died 7 years ago.
Oh, man. :frowning:

That's a real bummer. Blade Runner then, is a great shining part of his legacy. His cinematography on that film is well beyond the call of duty. Absoultely magnificent cinematographer.

I really ought to have checked the IMDb before I asked that bracketed question. :b

Gordy

david*mt

Second Unit
My favs are:

Braveheart
Dances with Wolves
Lawrence of Arabia
LOTR: FOTR
Ben-Hur
From Hell
Tuck Everlasting
Amelie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks