What's new

FEATURE FILMS SEEN IN 70MM (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Here is a complete list of films that I have seen in 70mm.This list does not include numerous 70mm shorts that I have seen.Neither does it include Imax 70mm films. It also includes blow- ups as well as those filmed in 70mm.

RIGHT STUFF

REMAINS OF THE DAY

GREYSTOKES - THE LEGEND OF TARZAN

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

GREMLINS

AMADEUS

STARMAN

COCOON

LIFEFORCE

SANTA CLAUS

SILVERADO

TOP GUN

YEAR OF THE DRAGON

ALIEN

SAVAGE INNOCENTS

COLOR OF MONEY

UNTOUCHABLES

LAST EMPEROR

CRY FREEDOM

EMPIRE OF THE SUN

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?

THE BEAR

ARACHNOPHOBIA

SEX IN 3-D

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS

THE DOORS

HOOK

HOWARD'S END

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

FAR AND AWAY

GETTYSBURG

LITTLE BUDDAH

VERTIGO

BARAKA

HAMLET

TITANIC

TOO LATE ,THE HERO

LE MANS

TORA,TORA,TORA

THE LAST VALLEY

THE GREAT BATTLE

RAID ON ROMMEL

WILD ROVERS

NICOLAS AND ALEXANDRA

BOY FRIEND

COWBOYS

ANDROMEDA STRAIN

POEM OF DANCE (aka DANCE POEM)

SCROOGE

YOUNG WINSTON

PROFESSIONALS

PATTON

JOLSON STORY

MAROONED

WILD BUNCH

PAINT OUR WAGON

CASTLE KEEP

HELLO DOLLY

THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES

LION IN WINTER

SWEET CHARITY

LONGEST DAY

STAR

McKENNA'S GOLD

FUNNY GIRL

ICE STATION ZEBRA

CUSTER OF THE WEST

FINIAN'S RAINBOW

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG

BEN-HUR

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS

BECKET

ZULU

2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

DR ZHIVAGO

DR DOLITTLE

SAND PEBBLES

GRAND PRIX

THE BIBLE

GONE WITH THE WIND

KHARTOUM

IS PARIS BURNING?

AGONY AND THE ECSTACY

CHEYANNE AUTUMN

BATTLE OF THE BULGE

HALLELUAH TRAIL

GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD

HEROES OF TELEMARK

GREAT RACE

THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES

IN HARM'S WAY

MY FAIR LADY

LORD JIM

SOUND OF MUSIC

IT'S A MAD,MAD.MAD,MAD WORLD

FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

CLEOPATRA

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

KING AND I

BARABBAS

KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA

NEVER GIVE AN INCH (aka SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION)

LOST HORIZON

POSEIDON ADVENTURE

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

TEN COMMANDMENTS

TOM SAYER

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

GREAT CARUSO

THREE MUSKETEERS

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

EARTHQUAKE

TOWERING INFERNO

ROLLERBALL

DELIVERANCE

LUCKY LADY

LOGAN'S RUN

STAR WARS

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

GREASE

CAPRICORN ONE

DIVINE MADNESS

SERGEANT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

HEAVEN'S GATE

THE WIZ

ACOPALYPSE NOW

ALIENS

MUPPET MOVIE

THE ROSE

BLACK HOLE

CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

JAZZ SINGER

OLIVER

RAIDER'S OF THE LOST ARK

SLEEPING BEAUTY

QUEST FOR FIRE

PINK FLOYD -THE WALL

ROCKY 3

POLTERGEIST

E.T

THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS

ANNIE

RETURN OF THE JEDI

BRAINSTORM

RYAN'S DAUGHTER

DARLING LILI

SONG OF NORWAY

WATERLOO

CROMWELL

RUSSIAN ADVENTURE

AIRPORT

CAMELOT

SOUTH PACIFIC

WILLOW

SOLOMON AND SHEBA

PORGY AND BESS

CAN - CAN

SPARTACUS

OKLAHOMA

BLACK TIGHTS

THE ALAMO

EL CID

WEST SIDE STORY

EXODUS

55 DAYS AT PEKING

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

STAR TREK

THE MISSION

RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE

HELLFIGHTERS

PATRIOT GAMES

LAST BOY SCOUT

LETHAL WEAPON 3

I wonder if 70mm prints of these films still exist? Can anyone beat this list of 175 features.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Also, I could swear that we had a thread on this a few months back...
[/quote WE did have a thread on this a while back, 95% of the prints have now gone PINK if they are still around.

I have seen loads of 70mm the last print being Interstellar which I saw 3 times in 5/70 and also in 15/70.

I am hoping we here soon that there is going to be a 2015 WSW in Bradford for more 70mm Flat and 70mm Super Cinerama.

Lets Hope...

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I am hoping we here soon that there is going to be a 2015 WSW in Bradford for more 70mm Flat and 70mm Super Cinerama.

Lets Hope...

I received an email from Picturehouse yesterday in response to an enquiry about this.

It definitely is going ahead. Dates still to be confirmed. :)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
nara said:
I received an email from Picturehouse yesterday in response to an enquiry about this.

It definitely is going ahead. Dates still to be confirmed. :)
Let's hope that there will be no digital screenings - only film. The WSW has becoming more and more digitalised in recent years. WSW should be all about FILM, not digital which I abhor. I cringe when I have to endure a film in digital. The quality is abominable compared to film.That is why I very rarely go to the cinema today. Digital is only suitable for home viewing, not in cinemas on huge screens.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
cinerama10 said:
Let's hope that there will be no digital screenings - only film. The WSW has becoming more and more digitalised in recent years. WSW should be all about FILM, not digital which I abhor. I cringe when I have to endure a film in digital. The quality is abominable compared to film.That is why I very rarely go to the cinema today. Digital is only suitable for home viewing, not in cinemas on huge screens.

I fear that you may be seeing poor DCPs.

A properly produced element should look precisely like film, with the exception of better stability, resolution and lack of wear.

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Exactly Robert. Yeah, you need better theaters or better glasses. ;)

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Tino said:
Exactly Robert. Yeah, you need better theaters or better glasses. ;)

There's nothing wrong with the quality of presentation at the Widescreen Weekend, so maybe better glasses is the way to go.?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
If there is a WSW we will only be seeing prints which are not colour faded they will not screen pink prints. As Nara says the Quality of presentation is

very good and it is the best cinema in the UK. The digital picture on the Cinerama screen is not perfect but to be able to see the original Cinerama productions on the big curved screen is excellent and the projection crew do a great job.

If we get a 70mm Ultra Panavision 2.67:1 DTS print of the Hateful Eight in the UK lets hope it gets shown in the Pictureville Cinema,

forget London small screens and 2 damaged 70mm prints of The Master and Interstellar.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Robert Harris said:
I fear that you may be seeing poor DCPs.

A properly produced element should look precisely like film, with the exception of better stability, resolution and lack of wear.

RAH
Digital projection still has a long,long way to go before it will ever match the quality of 70mm. A local Imax projectionist will tell you that there is no comparison as regards the quality of 70mm film against digital. Even a local cinema manager agrees. The idiots who say that one needs to wear better glasses have probably never grown up with 70mm film and are limited to only seeing digital. If digital was better then how come 70mm is still in use and they have 70mm festivals world wide. People want to see quality which is sadly missing from cinemas today.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm. Being called an idiot for a lighthearted jest says a lot about the character of the person making that comment. I've been watching 70mm films since the early 70's and can say without fear of more insults that a properly projected digital image rivals that of a great 70mm presentation. I recently saw Interstellar in both and they were equally tremendous. I would give the edge to 70mm but what do I know...I'm just an idiot.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Tino said:
Hmm. Being called an idiot for a lighthearted jest says a lot about the character of the person making that comment. I've been watching 70mm films since the early 70's and can say without fear of more insults that a properly projected digital image rivals that of a great 70mm presentation. I recently saw Interstellar in both and they were equally tremendous. I would give the edge to 70mm but what do I know...I'm just an idiot.
Most 70mm films in the seventies were blow-ups.That hardly compares with the quality of being actually 'filmed' in 70mm

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Films actually shot in 65mm that I've seen in 70mm:

The Sound of Music (twice)

My Fair Lady

Oklahoma! (twice)
South Pacific

Hello, Dolly! (twice)

Doctor Dolittle

Star!

Scent of Mystery (under its alternate title Holiday in Spain)
The Agony and the Ecstasy

West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia (twice)
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

2001: A Space Odyssey (twice)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
More importantly, kind of, is WHEN people saw these releases. How many actually saw this stuff when it came out? There is a difference.

I saw so many wonderful 70mm presentations in their original showings, all multiple times - Exodus, Ben-Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty, West Side Story, King of Kings, Patton, El Cid, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, The Sound of Music, Lawrence of Arabia, The Bible, Can-Can, Scent of Mystery (also in Smell-O-Vision), 2001: A Space Odyssey, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Spartacus, My Fair Lady, The Agony and the Ecstasy, The Hallelujah Trail, Khartoum, Grand Prix, Doctor Dolittle, Star, Ice Station Zebra, Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang, Ryan's Daughter, Airport.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know for sure I've seen "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 70mm several times, and "Spartacus" and "The Master" once each in 70mm.

I think I saw at least a couple of the blowups in the late 1980s but I don't trust my memory to say for sure.

Of the IMAX films at least partially shot in 15-perf 70mm, I've seen most of the Hollywood ones, multiple times for all of them except one: The Dark Knight, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, The Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and Interstellar. Breathtaking every time.

I've seen a lot of the museum-type documentaries but I can't remember all their names. I worked at an aquarium IMAX for a month or so a long time ago, so I saw a bunch then for free.

And I saw a bunch of films not shot in IMAX but presented on 15-perf 70mm film (which strikes me as being similar to 70mm blowups of 35mm films): Fantasia 2000, The Polar Express, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Superman Returns (select scenes in 3D exclusively in IMAX version), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (select scenes in 3D exclusively in IMAX version), I Am Legend, U2 3D, Star Trek (2009), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (select scenes in 3D exclusively in IMAX version), Avatar, Inception, Avatar: Special Edition, Tron Legacy (variable aspect ratio exclusively in IMAX version), Super 8, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, John Carter, Titanic (1997), Dark Shadows, Prometheus (aspect ratio opened up from scope framing to 2.00:1 exclusively in IMAX version), The Amazing Spider-Man (variable aspect ratio exclusively in IMAX version), Skyfall (aspect ratio opened up from scope framing to 1.90:1 exclusively in IMAX version), Jack The Giant Slayer, Jurassic Park 3D, Oblivion (aspect ratio opened up from scope framing to 1.90:1 exclusively in IMAX version), Iron Man 3, Man Of Steel, Pacific Rim, Elysium, and The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (with Sir Ian McKellen in attendance!)

(I really wish "Gravity" had gotten a 15/70 blowup!)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
cinerama10 said:
Most 70mm films in the seventies were blow-ups.That hardly compares with the quality of being actually 'filmed' in 70mm
I said SINCE the 70's. And as has been mentioned the majority of the films on your list are blow ups. Comment? By the way what is the purpose of this thread? To brag about films you have seen in "70mm" or to insult people that disagree with you. Also this thread should be merged with the other countless 70mm threads out there and moved to the proper section

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks