What's new

Pre-Order The Monolith Monsters (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91j9VGbekxL._SX522_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"skyscrapers of stone thundering across the earth" ?

:huh: :blink:

Somebody ingested something interesting before their pitch meeting.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have this movie on a dvd set of classic sci-fi movies.
It really is a great idea for a scary old sci-fi movie.

It’s also a really good movie.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its a pretty fun movie. Not one of my favorite Universal 50's Sci-fi but I would be interested in a blu ray upgrade but not at Shouts high price and unfortunately Shout rarely goes on sale below $20.00. I really wish Kino would have got this instead.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
i can understand the higher price on this and Deadly Mantis etc cause the audience is low, but i can't afford them at that price

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Maybe it was in one of the b titles in the original Universal horror archive collection? Which is the bulk of Shout's volume 3.i do remember that he was clean shaven, no mustache and that threw me off for a while.

OK so finally at the house where i cold use the search feature on DVDprofiler, and really feel like a idiot , He is in two of the Inner Sanctum Mysteries, If Shout gets those titles i hope the release it as a complete set instead of breaking it up like the Sci-Fi box.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Having never heard of this film, I was decidedly skeptical when it was announced, taking a shot at the film's tag line in a post above. However, it was on sale recently and it had mostly good reviews, so I bought it blind. This was a very good movie and an incredibly pleasant discovery in classic sci-fi.

I think the use of "monsters" in the title is a bit misleading. Based on the title alone I had visions of sentient, humanoid creatures made largely of stone stomping around and destroying towns. Kind of like a Godzilla film featuring creatures that were like massive versions of the Thing from Fantastic Four. Perhaps the title "The Monster Monoliths" might have been less likely to bring up such cheesy images in my mind.

But, wow, what an interesting and well-done film. A very unique concept very well executed and presented in superior audio and video on blu-ray. My subwoofer was rumbling pretty good at times, especially at the climax of the film. Kind of rare for a film from the 1950's. I almost think this film can be scarier than any traditional "monster" since it's simply chemistry: there's no motivation; there's no hope of communication or reasoning with the threat. They're just huge and seemingly unstoppable.

There are still a few nits to pick with the story (but there always are with nearly every film, ever), but overall it was an excellent blind buy that I can't wait to watch again. I actually watched this as a double-feature with This Island Earth, which was another blind buy for me. It was a very fun night viewing two newly-discovered classic sci-fi films. :thumbs-up-smiley: Highly recommended for anyone looking for a different kind of sci-fi story.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Having never heard of this film, I was decidedly skeptical when it was announced, taking a shot at the film's tag line in a post above. However, it was on sale recently and it had mostly good reviews, so I bought it blind. This was a very good movie and an incredibly pleasant discovery in classic sci-fi.

I think the use of "monsters" in the title is a bit misleading. Based on the title alone I had visions of sentient, humanoid creatures made largely of stone stomping around and destroying towns. Kind of like a Godzilla film featuring creatures that were like massive versions of the Thing from Fantastic Four. Perhaps the title "The Monster Monoliths" might have been less likely to bring up such cheesy images in my mind.

But, wow, what an interesting and well-done film. A very unique concept very well executed and presented in superior audio and video on blu-ray. My subwoofer was rumbling pretty good at times, especially at the climax of the film. Kind of rare for a film from the 1950's. I almost think this film can be scarier than any traditional "monster" since it's simply chemistry: there's no motivation; there's no hope of communication or reasoning with the threat. They're just huge and seemingly unstoppable.

There are still a few nits to pick with the story (but there always are with nearly every film, ever), but overall it was an excellent blind buy that I can't wait to watch again. I actually watched this as a double-feature with This Island Earth, which was another blind buy for me. It was a very fun night viewing two newly-discovered classic sci-fi films. :thumbs-up-smiley: Highly recommended for anyone looking for a different kind of sci-fi story.
Where was it on sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks