The Messenger-The Story of Joan of Arc-anyone have this dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Anderson, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I was interested how the picture and sound are for this dvd. I like Luc Besson's Fifth Element and I know this is done by the same composer-Eric Serra. Any thoughts? Also, anyone listen to it in Surround EX? Thanks.

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    The transfer and the sound are great on this DVD. The image is crystal clear and the DD5.1 is outstanding.
    The film however, IMO, is one of the absolute worst films I have ever had the displeasure of squirming through. By far Luc Bessons worst film and horrible in every way. Completely devoid of any redeeming qualities.
    Sorry but I really HATE this "film".[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I hate how disc discussions always vear off on a tangent, with people commenting on how they hated or liked the actual film (I forsee more of the same for this particular title too [​IMG]).
    In any case to answer your question, the transfer is reference quality. In particular the clarity is amongst the best I've had the pleasure of seeing in my HT, very detailed, the colors are pretty accurate (don't expect them to be eye-popping like the 5th element though) and the EE is of little or no consequence.
    The audio is equally impressive, lots of surround action and plenty of bass to work our your subwoofer. Highly directional during the battle scenes and overall an exceptional audio track.
    PS: The disc also has an isolated score on there too (something studios should do more of!).

4. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

I have this one. Not a bad film but not the best. Transfer and sound are excellent. You could do alot worse. Highlander anyone?

John

5. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

The transfer blew me away when this disc first came out...the detail is astounding...you can probably count the freckles on the face of the girl playing young Joan. I for one, liked the movie a lot.

6. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I agree that the picture and sound are great also. I bought this movie just because I like Luc Besson's movies and I was not disappointed at all.

7. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Video quality is without a doubt, close to the best I've ever seen. Some of the scenes feel so 3 dimensional. Audio is great as well. If you're a fan of the film, there is no technical reason not to own it on DVD,

Pieter

8. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I've watched this film several times and will watch it several more. It is certainly top drawer.

Best regards-Henry

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Excellent transfer, fantastic trailer, awful film! [​IMG]

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this film. I appreciate it.

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I completely agree that this disc is reference quality regarding the video!

I also agree that the movie sucked, and I am a very big fan of Luc Besson!

13. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

14. Ron Ryder

Ron Ryder Auditioning

I have this disc. Its a great reference disc. Perfect picture and sound. Great film to IMHO.

15. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

am i the only one who thinks the video quality of this disc isn't all that great? it's by no means bad, but i thought it was a bit soft and had sort of a PAL video look to it....just to be sure i stuck in a few other discs i'd bought this week (The Goonies, Cape Fear) and those had the 3-d, almost perfect look to them that everyone says MESSENGER has (i was watching on a 38" 16:9 via progressive mode). Since it's a slightly older disc, i guess i shouldn't be comparing it to some of the more recent tranfers (which, now that i can see them on a larger display, are getting better by leaps and bounds it seems!). Oh well...the dolby digital sound was certainly reference.

anyway, i thought the film was ok (not judging it by its historical accuracy).

16. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

The transfer is excellent. Sound is excellent too. The film is also very good. It is historical accurate down to the details of costume, hair style, weapons used, etc. The director did a lot of research on the history by going thru the French archives. Much much better than the other US version of Joan of Arc film starring Sobieski.

Highly recommended.

17. brian a

brian a Second Unit

A very interesting review. I admire the work that appears to be going into the new film, and very much look forward to it. I have to say that I'm not really surprised that a person writing/directing his own version of the Joan of Arc tale didn't like the ones before it. [​IMG]
    I think he makes very valid points if you are trying to create a film that is as historically accurate as possible. I don't think everyone is trying to do that. Perhaps he thinks that that should be the goal of film making, and he is entitled to that opinion, but others are free to disagree. I enjoyed the messenger as I though it added a very interesting twist in that it allowed you to think about the possibility that Joan was not a messenger of God. I truly believe that that conclusion was left to the viewer, and I respect that. I didn't consider the film to be historically accurate, but rather about these ideas.
    I'm sure there are many that would rather the story be told directly from the records with no undocumented assumptions made and with the core assumption that Joan was a messenger of God. It looks like those folks will get their version of the film soon. I'm sure that I will enjoy it as well.

18. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The DVD's picture and sound quality are both reference caliber.

As for the movie itself, while it's severely flawed, it's not as bad as some say.