What's new

The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Action, History, War

Director: Luc Besson

Cast: Milla Jovovich, Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, John Malkovich, Vincent Cassel, Tchéky Karyo, Rab Affleck, Stéphane Algoud, Edwin Apps, David Bailie, Timothy Bateson, David Begg, Christian Bergner, Andrew Birkin, Dominic Borrelli, John Boswall, Matthew Bowyer, Paul Brooke, Bruce Byron, Charles Cork, Patrice Cossoneau, Tony D'Amario, Daniel Daujon, Tonio Descanvelle, Philippe du Janerand, Sissi Duparc, Barbara Elbourn, Christian Erickson, David Barber, Joseph Rezwin, Jemima West, Timothy West, Christian Barbier, Toby Jones

Release: 1999-10-27

Runtime: 158

Plot: In 1429 a teenage girl from a remote French village stood before her King with a message she claimed came from God; that she would defeat the world's greatest army and liberate her country from its political and religious turmoil. Following her mission to reclaim god's diminished kingdom - through her amazing victories until her violent and untimely death.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Has anyone seen this recently? I just rewatched this after so many years after its release. The biggest disappointment for me is the score. Don't understand what happened here, Eric Serra made great music at the time. Nikita, Léon, The Big Blue, The Fifth Element, GoldenEye and suddenly at the same time, this!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've not seen the movie since the DVD came out 21 years ago!

I'd like to check out the BD but it seems to be long OOP.

I enjoyed the movie in 2000 but dunno if it holds up now...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I have the BD. It's an old one, so not sure how the transfer really is. Now I have to watch it with my 4K QLED.

I've always gotten a kick out of this movie. I think it's one of those misunderstood ones. I tend to see it as a lampoon of fanaticism, especially religious type. I really don't remember ever thinking the soundtrack was badly done. Fairly typical Serra stuff, which probably doesn't fit the subject matter. I just think the movie is a hoot.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I thought it was Besson’s worst film by a long shot. And one of the worst films I have ever seen.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I really don't remember ever thinking the soundtrack was badly done. Fairly typical Serra stuff, which probably doesn't fit the subject matter.
We don't remember the soundtrack. That's the problem. It's unremarkable. Also the problem is that they probably thought it doesn't fit the subject matter and they should go conservatively. I think it would have fitted perfectly if Serra did his usual stuff even if it sounded modern.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was Besson’s worst film by a long shot. And one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Oh my, no. Besson's made some real crap over the years! "Lucy" was borderline unwatchable!

"Anna" wasn't good either.

Besson's turned into a hack in recent years, which is a shame, as he used to be really good...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh my, no. Besson's made some real crap over the years! "Lucy" was borderline unwatchable!

Besson's turned into a hack in recent years, which is a shame, as he used to be really good...
I find something to enjoy in all of his movies. You kind of have to go with them. But, yeah, this is not a bad movie, it's just odd and nothing like what a person would expect it to be. I have to admit, I've probably watched it half a dozen times. Like I already said, I think it's a hoot, but at the same time I guess I just "get" what it's actually saying and criticizing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Liked Lucy
Hated Anna. Wick wannabe. Terrible.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Lucy was just ok. She's so much better in Under the Skin and Her.

LOVED this film. Love love LOVE! It feels like I can see what a really good Xena the Warrior Princess movie might be like.

Would get this in 4K in a second if they had a print that would look better. Never got the blu ray heard too much negatives.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This movie definitely needs a restoration. It looks horrible like it was mastered in DVD resolution.

No relation but I have to say it, Under the Skin by far is the worst movie that I have ever seen in my entire life! Like even if you tried to make a bad movie, you couldn't make it this bad!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm suffocating on hyperbole...

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

No relation but I have to say it, Under the Skin by far is the worst movie that I have ever seen in my entire life! Like even if you tried to make a bad movie, you couldn't make it this bad!
it's a surreal journey for me. minimalist sci fi. incredible visuals. I saw it, remembered The Man who fell to Earth, watched that one for the first time and was disappointed that it wasn't as good. lol

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks