What's new

The Matrix, gold and silver DVD (1 Viewer)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
I have a silver DVD, yesterday I saw another one gold color. I don't know if there's any different between silver and gold discs??? The packaging of both are "almost" the same.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm... ALMOST the same? how do you mean?

Gold discs mean they're dual-layered, whci is the case for most discs. I heard that a studio (i forget whicih) got a new method that stamps doublelayered discs and keeps it silver, i dunno if its just a new pressing, or you got something fishy...

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
I still have both discs at home. Packaging "almost" the same, just one a bit darker than other. And in the back, there're some letters bigger than the other and one come with (something like) PC/, not on the other. Even numbers on barcode are the same.
I just wanna know which one is better to keep.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The silver dual layered dvds are supposed to be less apt to have technical glitches or laser-rot.

I would guess that the silver pressing is newer.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In the early days of DVD, Dual-layered discs, like "The Matrix" used to always be gold in color. That's no longer true; it's now possible to make silver-colored dual-layered discs.

I imagine that the discs in question are identical, content-wise, but the silver one was from a more recent batch.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who thinks Warner needs to release a new disc with higher bitrate/better transfer and a new DTS track? I love this movie, but technically the disc is no up to reference standards in comparison to titles being released today.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
forget seeing a DTS disc. Warner tried DTS (and did it VERY poorly) and it didn't impress them

As long as the disc is in a snapper, it's 99.9999% likely to be legit if it's R1

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I would love to see a rerelease with DTS? How did Warner do DTS poorly? They released them in full bit rate which no one does anymore. For some reason Warner has recieved a bad rap for DTS but they still do support it.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who thinks Warner needs to release a new disc with higher bitrate/better transfer and a new DTS track?
dts compression != better sound mix

I think the current AC3 track is fine; what would you improve? (besides a higher bitrate, which may or may not be noticable)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks