What's new

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection coming to BD on Oct. 18th from Universal (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I regularly monitor my wife's book rankings on Amazon and can report the same phenomenon to be accurate (or inaccurate as the case may be). Her most recent book...which has been out more than a year now...can drop down towards a million (in all books) and then in the blink of an eye be about 10k...and then slowly descend until another is purchased and then it jumps right back up again.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I can see one purchase bringing it up from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands. But to get up to the top twenty and stay there consistently for over a week takes more than just one sale.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
So you don't think this has sold more than ten copies since it was discounted at Amazon? I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. I guess you're saying titles like this don't sell well at any price point.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
God this is tiresome. I think I regret ever mentioning the new sale price and bumping this thread.
0548a36514c8a31d9ccfdb03188207199fcc83-v5-wm.jpg

Thanks for sharing - It might make it easier for some than to have to take the viaduct ... ;)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
God this is tiresome. I regret ever mentioning the new sale price and bumping this thread.
Please do not regret alerting us to a tremendous sale price. Because of you, I am now able to act upon this sale price; as I wanted to gift this to a friend. Thanks to you, I can purchase it sooner than I had thought. The bottom line, these restored Marx Brothers films have been a gift to us all. I have zero regrets about my Day One purchase. Thanks Universal. And thanks Malcolm R

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So you don't think this has sold more than ten copies since it was discounted at Amazon? I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. I guess you're saying titles like this don't sell well at any price point.

I'm saying you using the Amazon sales rank as a barometer is pointless - I don't think that is so hard to understand, is it? I'm saying that the people like you who play this game of waiting and waiting until they can get these things for five bucks or whatever are hurting Blu-ray releases. BTW, just a simple question: Did you purchase this at eighteen bucks?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, waiting for classic titles to sell for ten bucks is kind of ridiculous. Those of us who collected laser discs and earlier DVDs should be ecstatic about the Blu-ray prices offered today.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm saying you using the Amazon sales rank as a barometer is pointless - I don't think that is so hard to understand, is it? I'm saying that the people like you who play this game of waiting and waiting until they can get these things for five bucks or whatever are hurting Blu-ray releases. BTW, just a simple question: Did you purchase this at eighteen bucks?
Hi! My name is Howie. I'm a movie junkie. It's been 18 hours since my last purchase.

Thanks to a coupon at Barnes and Noble, I purchased "The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection" day 1 for ~$32 and don't regret it for a second (I cancelled an Amazon pre-order at ~$40 when the coupon became available - otherwise I'd have purchased it there). I'll do the same should Warner Brothers see fit to finally release the MGM Marx Brothers films under their control on Blu-ray.

I used to play the "waiting for a lower price" game but missed out on owning many, many titles that went OOP while I was waiting on a "better" price. I no longer play that game as it was counter productive in more ways than one... Now I purchase a title I want within a few months of release, if not day one. It's absolutely worth the time I don't waste monitoring "bargain" sites just to save a buck or three. I also own many titles that went OOP almost as soon as they shipped.

As far as the "wait for a better price" mentality? It's Kobayashi Maru... absolutely no way the consumer can "win" the game no matter how they choose to play. Once I realized this I stopped playing.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm saying that the people like you who play this game of waiting and waiting until they can get these things for five bucks or whatever are hurting Blu-ray releases. BTW, just a simple question: Did you purchase this at eighteen bucks?

I'm not hurting any blu-ray releases. I pay what I think is fair for things that I want. If I have to pay more than I think is fair and buy things that I don't really want, then blu-ray releases are hurting me.

I bought the Marx Bros set as soon as it dropped below $24. That was the price point this particular set was worth to me. Honestly, this set was overpriced when it was first released. They've now gotten it down to the point where it will sell very well. I guess they are smart to charge the more rabid collectors more to get it on release day, then discount it six months later and sell a whole bunch of them. But I can wait a bit.

ThadK

Second Unit
Joining the echo chamber to just say "thanks" for alerting us to the fire sale.

I'm not hurting any blu-ray releases. I pay what I think is fair for things that I want. If I have to pay more than I think is fair and buy things that I don't really want, then blu-ray releases are hurting me.

I bought the Marx Bros set as soon as it dropped below $24. That was the price point this particular set was worth to me. Honestly, this set was overpriced when it was first released. They've now gotten it down to the point where it will sell very well. I guess they are smart to charge the more rabid collectors more to get it on release day, then discount it six months later and sell a whole bunch of them. But I can wait a bit.

No one cares.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And another thankyou for the special price.
It counts a lot when you're importing into Australia with postage cost and our ridiculous exchange rate to consider.
My order came to $34 Australian and that is a great price!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
What makes you think we don't?

You left out the thing between his two comments - not good. His first line was thanking everyone. THEN he quoted bigshot's post and his response to THAT: "Who cares?" You can't just combine his two sentences into one as if they were one thought.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I certainly see no harm in picking up a bargain, although I usually buy what I want as soon as it becomes available if I can. For lesser titles I can afford to wait.

A while ago I purchased the Blu ray digibook set of Ghost Busters for a really reasonable price. These movies though enjoyable are far down my list, I just happened to see them, and pick them up.

Yesterday I was browsing in Best Buy when it occurred to me that to complete my Ghost Buster collection I needed to buy the re-make. I just happened to hit a sale. For $16.99, I got a set containing the Blu ray, the 3D Blu ray and the 4K version!
Should I have said to the cashier, “I know this is marked down to $16.99, but I am interested in supporting the Blu ray format, so I am giving you $35.00”?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks