What's new

3D The Mad Magician (1954) - Hoping for a 3-D Blu-Ray release. (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
So the UK version has the following which are not on the Twilight Time disc:
  • Three-Dimensional Magic (2020): appreciation of The Mad Magician and the 3D filmmaking boom of the 1950s by cinematographer Frank Passingham (Kubo and the Two Strings) and archivist Tom Vincent, presented in 3D and 2D
  • Super 8 version: cut-down home cinema presentation in anaglyphic 3D
  • Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Kat Ellinger, a look at the career of producer Bryan Foy, an archival interview with director John Brahm by David Del Valle, a guide to the promotional campaign of The Mad Magician, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Jeff Billington on the Three Stooges’ 3D shorts, and film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray
Missing from the UK version:
  • Isolated Music Track
  • Master of Fright: Conjuring the Mad Magician
  • Julie Kirgo insert

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
So the UK version has the following which are not on the Twilight Time disc:
  • Three-Dimensional Magic (2020): appreciation of The Mad Magician and the 3D filmmaking boom of the 1950s by cinematographer Frank Passingham (Kubo and the Two Strings) and archivist Tom Vincent, presented in 3D and 2D
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Kat Ellinger, a look at the career of producer Bryan Foy, an archival interview with director John Brahm by David Del Valle, a guide to the promotional campaign of The Mad Magician, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Jeff Billington on the Three Stooges’ 3D shorts, and film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray

• Isolated Music Track
  • Julie Kirgo insert

I'm listening to the audio commentary on the Twilight Time disc and just noticed that it's a different audio commentary than what is listed on the Indicator version. So the differences are:

Indicator version has the following which are not on the Twilight Time disc:
  • Audio commentary with film historians Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby (2020)
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary by Film Historians David Del Valle and Steven Peros.
  • Isolated Music Track
  • Julie Kirgo insert

DWH

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I can't remember where I read about it but wasn't there an issue on the Twilight Time disc with the opening credits not properly displaying in 3D?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I can't remember where I read about it but wasn't there an issue on the Twilight Time disc with the opening credits not properly displaying in 3D?

That's in the original negatives and cannot be fixed. It's not for the entire opening credits, just for maybe five to ten seconds of it.

Reactions: DWH

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I don’t see that the Indicator looks softer at all.
It’s either a draw or the Indicator may be sharper as far as my eye can see (by blowing the dvdbeaver images large on a 21” desktop computer and comparing portions of the frame side-by-side)
To my eye, Indicator brightness is lower affecting noticeable detail. Also, Indicator has a slight top/bottom cropped image.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 8.08.35 AM.png

1) Twilight Time - Region FREE - Blu-ray TOP
2) Indicator - Region FREE - Blu-ray BOTTOM

Source

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks