What's new

3D The Mad Magician (1954) - Hoping for a 3-D Blu-Ray release. (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yeah, the best move now is to wait a few months for the prices to calm down. After some time passes, a person should be able to find it a more reasonable price than the current 'panic prices'.

The Disney Digital 3D Showcase Disc that has the 1953 3D short Working for Peanuts sells for up to $50 on eBay. But a month ago I got it for $8 on a Buy It Now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recently upgraded to 3D capability in my projector HT, and The Mad Magician was my second film viewed in the format. While the film looked wonderful, the disc menu did not project correctly (all jumbled up). I haven't seen any others with this issue, so I assume this is some setting on the projector or my player though, as noted, the film seemingly played perfectly?

Admittedly I'm still a newbie to 3D, and don't fully understand all the settings on my hardware. I have most everything set to "auto" options. I also tried the different settings on the glasses, with no effect. I found if I manually switched the 3D option on my projector to "field sequential," that the menu was readable but still had a constant "flicker" to it.

The first film I viewed, Journey to the Center of the Earth, played perfectly, both menu and film, and TMM film played fine. Any idea why TMM menu was wonky?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Some menus just display weird, in my experience. I don't worry too much about it, it usually isn't representative of the film itself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
260565_front.jpg

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/the-mad-magician-le

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Missing out on the TT edition is one of my greatest regrets in the 25+ years I've been collecting films, but the Indicator announcement has mostly sorted that out. Seriously, Indicator is outpacing Criterion for me these days.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Would this be better than the Twilight Time release? I already have that and it is really good. I wonder if getting the Indicator is worth it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Would this be better than the Twilight Time release? I already have that and it is really good. I wonder if getting the Indicator is worth it.

Yes or no or somewhere in between

I have a question -- why does this type question frequently get asked on items that will be released 3-18 months in the future?
By what means is it supposed to be answered?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To be fair, sometimes an initial announcement will mention a new transfer, or there will be existing knowledge that the prior release was from a dated master.

In this specific case, it’s Sony’s master of the movie and the one provided to TT appeared recent and in pristine condition, so I’d be surprised if Sony had gone back to the well.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not unfair -- New master, new transfer, new element are still all irrelevant about better/worse/no diff until it's seen.

People will know in late March unless some reviewer gets it in early March

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yes or no or somewhere in between

I have a question -- why does this type question frequently get asked on items that will be released 3-18 months in the future?
By what means is it supposed to be answered?
It can't really be answered until someone sees the release. I was just wondering what it might look like, not actually asking anyone. We'll have to wait and find out.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
There is of course, no logical reason for Sony to have created a new master for these titles . They come from the work done by Sony to restore and convert their library to DCP for professional, theatrical use. The Sony team are second to none for the quality of their work restoring their library titles so there are no serious mistakes that would require correction.

The fact that this has been licensed with the same Stooges shorts as the TT package makes me suspect they will be sending over the exact same digital package that Twilight used (which was first-rate to begin with).

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
In some cases, the Powerhouse/Indicator will be from the same transfer, but have a higher bit rate than the Twilight Time release. And since I missed this the first time around, definitely will not let that happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks