What's new

3D The Mad Magician (1954) - Hoping for a 3-D Blu-Ray release. (1 Viewer)

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Like many of you, I am very, very pleased to own a copy—make that two copies—of Twilight Time's recent 3-D Blu-Ray release of The Mad Magician. It's an entertaining movie and a very worthwhile disc to own. If you've not bought a copy, I commend it to you wholeheartedly and urge you to buy it in a hurry, before all copies are gone.

One great benefit to the recent spate of vintage 3-D Blu-Ray releases is that we are finally able to really study the strengths and weaknesses in stereo cinematography in vintage 3-D films. If I now call your attention to a peculiar weakness in The Mad Magician, please do not read that as a condemnation of the film or its key technical personnel.

I believe that a number of shots in The Mad Magician exhibit geometric distortions brought about by the use of mismatched lenses. It may be that the lenses employed on these particular shots were of slightly different focal lengths. Be that as it may, the net effect of the distortions is that the stereo image is unnaturally "tilted" in space, with objects at the left edge of the screen appearing closer to the spectator than objects at the right edge, regardless of where those objects would naturally appear in stereo space.

Please take a moment to examine our first figure, labeled Parallax Conditions. It is meant to illustrate the fact that, in any stereo photograph, objects viewed in the left eye will seem to shift leftward as they recede into the distance, away from the spectator. Objects that come closer will seem to shift rightward, when viewed in the left eye. To make absolutely clear, this is a universal condition in stereo photography, and indeed in all stereoscopic imagery.

Now have a look at Figure 1, a frame grab from The Mad Magician.* Viewing the image through anaglyphic spectacles with the red lens over the left eye and the cyan lens over the right, you will observe that the wall and surrounding objects at point A exhibit negative parallax and appear forward of the plane of the screen. Objects at point D exhibit positive parallax, and recede slightly behind the plane of the screen—this despite the fact that they are arguably as close or closer than objects at point B, where the condition of zero parallax exists. Lest we suspect we are being shown a pseudoscopic image (where the left and right eyes are inadvertently swapped), have a look at point C, which exhibits appropriate negative parallax in relation to point B.

Turn your attention please to Figure 2. I have tweaked the convergence in this shot to make very clear the distortion of which I speak. At point A, distant tree branches, a condition of zero parallax exists. But at point B, the much closer face and body of the cabby exhibit positive parallax. This is not what we would see in nature.

Now have a look at Figure 3. As in Figure 2, I have tweaked the convergence in this shot to make clear the geometric distortion. At point A, we observe a condition of zero parallax. But at point B, closer to both camera and spectator, there is a substantial amount of positive parallax. As corroborating evidence that the lenses are probably mismatched, note the vertical disparity evident at point C.

There are further such examples throughout the film. But I really wish to underline, The Mad Magician is overall a fine example of stereo cinematography from the 1950s. As several of you have already observed, each shot seems specially crafted to take full advantage of the compositional dynamics unique to stereo. The 3-D is very robust, and replete with both naturally motivated negative parallax and the occasional (but very welcome) pop-out "gimmick." The present "warts and all" presentation of The Mad Magician—by which I mean a presentation not subjected to shot-by-shot correction by a technician of equal caliber to Greg Kintz, if such a one exists!—is still very worthy of every 3-D connoisseur's collection, and will reward repeated viewing.

* - You will please note that figures 1, 2 and 3 have been converted to anaglyph format for the sake of clear illustration. The Blu-Ray disc is not anaglyphic, but presents discrete left- and right-eye views for presentation on modern 3-D televisions, projectors and head mounted displays.
001_Parallax_Conditions.jpg
MadMagician_002_Anaglyph_B.jpg
MadMagician_003_Anaglyph_C.jpg
MadMagician_004_Anaglyphic_C.jpg

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I'm so glad I picked this up! Absolute must-have for fans of this sort of thing. I liked it as much, if not more than House of Wax.

I'm not surprised it's selling out. The 3-D stooges shorts alone would've been more than enough to justify the purchase, but as an extra with this movie, it's one of the best 3-D discs out there.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Why haven't you bought COMIN'AT YA? Can't get a better western than that!!! :3dglasses: :dance:

I remember disliking it when I saw it in the theater so many years back. Plus I've read that the 3d transfer was lousy. But maybe I should reconsider.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I remember disliking it when I saw it in the theater so many years back. Plus I've read that the 3d transfer was lousy. But maybe I should reconsider.

It hasn't improved with age and there is so much crap on the screen at times that it makes me wonder if any restoration was actually done.
That said, some of the 3D is very good although some parts seem to be aimed at viewers who have eyes arranged like a praying mantis.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It hasn't improved with age and there is so much crap on the screen at times that it makes me wonder if any restoration was actually done.
That said, some of the 3D is very good although some parts seem to be aimed at viewers who have eyes arranged like a praying mantis.

It would have been nice if 3D Film Archive did the restoration but it's still fun to watch. Bwana Devil started the 1950's 3D boom, Comin' at Ya! did the same for the 1980's.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The film has been altered from its original theatrical version for this edition -- some sequences have been drained of color and turned into black and white, which is not how the film originally appeared in theaters.

In terms of the 3D, I would venture to guess that the disc is an accurate reproduction of film elements that have issues baked into them. The studio that financed the "restoration" (hard to use that word seriously when the film has actually been changed rather than returned to its original condition) apparently didn't put any work into correcting alignment issues that were always part of the original photography. So the disc can be painful to watch at times... but it's not the fault of the disc in my view, it's the fault of the people who financed the restoration and didn't care to focus on 3D alignment issues.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The film has been altered from its original theatrical version for this edition -- some sequences have been drained of color and turned into black and white, which is not how the film originally appeared in theaters.
For me, this is starting to become a confusing thread to follow. Josh, in your post above, are you talking about Comin' at Ya! or Mad Magician?
I don't want to assume you are discussing CaY, but I think you are.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That version of Comin At Ya was released in theaters for 3D digital projection; still wish they had included both versions on the disc.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Missed out on The Mad Magician, and I'm seriously bummed about it. I'm on a John Brahm kick, and I really want to see it. I know, it's my own fault for waiting too long.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me, this is starting to become a confusing thread to follow. Josh, in your post above, are you talking about Comin' at Ya! or Mad Magician?
I don't want to assume you are discussing CaY, but I think you are.

Sorry, apologies for confusion - I meant Coming At Ya

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Missed out on The Mad Magician, and I'm seriously bummed about it. I'm on a John Brahm kick, and I really want to see it. I know, it's my own fault for waiting too long.

Check on eBay. Too expensive now but later you might find one for around $25.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot

I think that Powerhouse Indicator in England is putting out a Region Free release of The Mad Magician 3D early next year. At least they made a hint.

And, yes, it is a really good film. I purchased it day one from Twilight Time. Glad it sold well and I hope it makes TT want to offer more 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks