What's new

The Lucy Show Season 1 Spring 2009 (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
One "extra" that would seem absolutely necessary for Season 5 would be the hour-long "Lucy in London" special.

First of all, a half-hour episode leads up to it, involving Lucy actually starting the trip.

Secondly, it must have counted over at Desilu as two episodes, because Season 5 otherwise has only 22 episodes, compared to Season 6's 24. I always felt they meant to break it into two episodes for syndication, but changed their mind when the time actually came to do it.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Yeah, it would be great if that special was included in TLS fifth season set.

It is interesting to note that fifth season of The Lucy Show was the shortest Lucy season ever. The longest Lucy season was I Love Lucy's first season which had 35 episodes. Another thing ... each season of Here's Lucy consisted of 24 episodes each. This trend, of course, was started by The Lucy Show's sixth and final season.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
But if we count "Lucy in London" as two half-hours -- and after all, why not? She was playing Lucy Carmichael, and it was shown in her regular time slot -- then there would also be 24 episodes in Season 5.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As I'm sure you know, the first season of "I Love Lucy" was filmed with the standard (for the time) 39 episodes -- counting the pilot as one -- and three episodes were saved for the next season.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

I checked "The Lucy Show" episode with Robert Stack that was included on S1V2 of "The Untouchables" DVD. It times out to 25:23 and is definitely full length. The additional time would be 3 minutes of network commercials plus opening and closing sponsor billboards, the network ID and the local station break.

I also looked at the "Here's Lucy" episodes on the Shout Factory collection and every one I checked timed out at 25:30 and again are definitely full length. So at least we know that these episodes all exist in their original uncut form. I think it's a safe bet that the earlier ones do too.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Thanks, Gary16. I do think 25:30 should be the correct length for "The Lucy Show," especially going way back to 1962-63.

Therefore, 30 episodes should be 765 minutes, which is why the running time of 733 concerned me. However, it's likely that 733 isn't correct. (I hope it isn't, of course.)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Has anyone noticed that BB will not be carrying The Lucy Show in their stores. I just checked the web page to confirm this. It is a policy of theirs to not carry certain shows. You may order from their web page and get it as a store pick up. For some that may be ok but I would perfer to buy it on it's street date not later.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F

Most of my purchases of DVDs are from online retailers, either Deep Discount or Amazon. My experience with Deep Discount is that when I have pre-ordered a set, they usually ship it the week before it's official release date, so I end up getting it a day or two before it's officially for sale in the stores.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
thelucyshowdvd.com is now confirming that the episodes are in fact unedited!!!

It also discusses in a little more depth about the special features that will be included.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Thank you, DoreSchary, that's great news.

Here's the key quote from the website:

"Additionally, the episodes included on this DVD release are completely unedited with run-times of just slightly under 26 minutes per episode."

Now, all of those who said I was wrong when I said the episodes should be approximately 26 minutes owe me a big apology.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(I love being right; it happens so seldom.)

Here's another quote from the website, and it's something I wish were true of all vintage TV shows:

"There is even a feature to play the episodes as originally broadcast with vintage network openings, closings and cast commericals!"

All in all, it sounds like everything we could hope for in a TV on DVD set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sounds just like the same level of care that went into the ILL sets. Cannot wait!

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser

I don't forsee any danger of that. It seems anything Lucy or Star Trek related Paramount/CBS gives high regards to and goes out of its way to please the fans. It is us Fugitive fans and others that they kick to the side and gives us what they want.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

It does seem that way, doesn't it? Let's just hope that this level of quality continues with the remaining 'Lucy' seasons, whether it be Here's Lucy or The Lucy Show.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
This season has two episodes that I still remember vividly from childhood: "Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna" and "Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower."

Which episode was it that had Lucy having a nightmare after she and Viv went to a horror movie with Mr. Mooney as Dracula?

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, this episode is in color. If you are remembering it from its very first airing, however, then you are remembering correctly. CBS broadcast The Lucy Show in black & white through the third season, even though Desilu filmed the show in color beginning with season 2.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Seasons Two and Three were shot in color with an eye toward future syndication but were originally broadcast in black and white as CBS didn't go color to a large degree until 1965.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks