What's new

The Lucy Show Season 1 Spring 2009 (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Wow! Very exciting. Possibly 3 seasons in 1 year!?!? They are smart to capitalize on this series now that Season 1 is in stores. The next 2 seasons are excellent, in my opinion, and I can't wait to add them to my collection. I'm very happy to hear this.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Then I'll allow myself to get excited.

I've never seen Seasons 2 and 3 in color uncut (they were shown in b/w originally, as I'm sure all Lucy fans know.) In fact, now that I think of it, no one has!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The kaleidoscope opening began the fourth season.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the "network" prints will be B&W. The show was filmed in color (including the openings), but simply broadcast originally in B&W. I never thought the network showed B&W prints -- I assumed they showed the color prints, without the "color switch," so to speak, turned on.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the "network" prints will be B&W. The show was filmed in color (including the openings), but simply broadcast originally in B&W. I never thought the network showed B&W prints -- I assumed they showed the color prints, without the "color switch," so to speak, turned on.
I always assumed the network received B&W prints until they began broadcasting in color. But thanks to not being alive then and never having worked for a network affiliate alongside someone who knows, I could be wrong.

But if you're right and the prints they find are in color, it will be interesting to see if they continue the vintage option and try to restore as much of the color as they can or not.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm assuming the original color negatives of Seasons 2 and 3 were kept in as good condition as the original black and white negatives they used for Season 1. I sure hope so! I'll be shocked if Seasons 2 and 3 are released in black and white, simply because that was the way they were originally shown!

By the way, the main (maybe the only) reason CBS didn't broadcast Seasons 2 and 3 (or anything else at the time) in color was because by 1959 the only surviving color television system was RCA's -- the only color television sets manufactured were RCA's -- RCA owned NBC, CBS's main competitor -- and CBS didn't want to do anything to promote their competitor's product. Showing a top ten show like "The Lucy Show" in color would have been a high level of promotion. (I have read interviews Lucille Ball gave at the time where she said she certainly wanted CBS to broadcast the show in color, but they wouldn't.)

By 1965, they relented, and "The Lucy Show" and several other CBS shows started broadcasting in color for the 1965-66 season. By the next season, everything was in color, forever more.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There's no doubt the episodes proper will be in color, and with what MPI has done with the transfers on the independently-owned "Here's Lucy", CBS/Paramount should be able to make the color Lucy Shows look at least as good as that or the other shows they inherited from Desilu have looked.

It's the "vintage" parts I'm talking about. The last season of "I Love Lucy", the first time they added the seamless branching option to watch the original network credits with the episode, had to take its vintage elements from VHS transfers of the 16mm prints (I heard they were taken from bootlegs which originated from the guy who transferred Lucy's personal prints to tape back in the late 1970s), as Jess Oppenheimer's son had no prints of the stuff his father didn't write.

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
The networks used B&W 16mm prints when the show originally aired. I have seen them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by DoreSchary

The networks used B&W 16mm prints when the show originally aired. I have seen them.
The East Coast feed and the West Coast feed had two prints each: one 35mm for the main feed, one 16mm for the back-up feed in case of "technical difficulties".

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by MatthewA

The East Coast feed and the West Coast feed had two prints each: one 35mm for the main feed, one 16mm for the back-up feed in case of "technical difficulties".
Yes and both the 35 mm and 16 mm prints were in color for color telecasts. The black and white 16mm prints were for stations that aired shows on a delay and were not able to delay the shows themselves via video tape. There was also a third 16mm color print of many shows that went to Denver which for many years was the origination point for the Mountain Time Zone. When everything moved to tape including shows that were originally on film, the 35 and 16 prints were no longer used by the networks on air.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I love hearing about how they did broadcasts back then :)

Originally Posted by Gary16

Yes and both the 35 mm and 16 mm prints were in color for color telecasts. The black and white 16mm prints were for stations that aired shows on a delay and were not able to delay the shows themselves via video tape. There was also a third 16mm color print of many shows that went to Denver which for many years was the origination point for the Mountain Time Zone. When everything moved to tape including shows that were originally on film, the 35 and 16 prints were no longer used by the networks on air.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MatthewA

There's no doubt the episodes proper will be in color, and with what MPI has done with the transfers on the independently-owned "Here's Lucy", CBS/Paramount should be able to make the color Lucy Shows look at least as good as that or the other shows they inherited from Desilu have looked.

It's the "vintage" parts I'm talking about. The last season of "I Love Lucy", the first time they added the seamless branching option to watch the original network credits with the episode, had to take its vintage elements from VHS transfers of the 16mm prints (I heard they were taken from bootlegs which originated from the guy who transferred Lucy's personal prints to tape back in the late 1970s), as Jess Oppenheimer's son had no prints of the stuff his father didn't write.

So, why couldn't they just access them from Lucy's prints? And by the way, a tape copy off a film is not a "bootleg". Bootleg refers to illegal sale of copyrighted material. A tape transfer of a film does not necessarily make it a bootleg.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I'm good and confused now.

All I want to know is this: Will the DVD sets of "The Lucy Show" for Seasons 2 and 3 have complete, unedited color prints?

I'm asking because the color versions for Seasons 2 and 3 weren't shown until the show was seen on CBS in the mornings (1968), and they were badly cut. I'm hoping the original color negatives were saved, even though the show was never seen in color, uncut.

If they're in color, uncut, for the DVD release, this will be the first time they've ever been seen that way.

For instance, there's a very glaring cut in the Season 2 episode "Kiddie Parties, Inc." Lucy and Viv are blowing up balloons, and Lucy hands Viv a balloon of a certain color, and when they cut to Viv taking it, it's a different color!

It's also obvious there's a cut there, because the audience laughs loudly, yet nothing particularly funny was said or done.

I can't wait to find out what got the big laugh!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

So, why couldn't they just access them from Lucy's prints?
Her family may not have them anymore. I agree with you that this doesn't necessarily constitute bootlegging, but it was the word I used at the time, and I didn't want to derail this thread into the gray areas of HTF policy.

I have no doubt the DVDs of all the color seasons will be presented in color. It appears the only cuts Desilu ever made to show negatives were related to sponsorship. Of all of CBS/Paramount's faults (that mercifully have not manifested itself here), decolorizing a color show is not one of them.

italianboy1989

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen

Well, I'm good and confused now.

All I want to know is this: Will the DVD sets of "The Lucy Show" for Seasons 2 and 3 have complete, unedited color prints?

I'm asking because the color versions for Seasons 2 and 3 weren't shown until the show was seen on CBS in the mornings (1968), and they were badly cut. I'm hoping the original color negatives were saved, even though the show was never seen in color, uncut.

If they're in color, uncut, for the DVD release, this will be the first time they've ever been seen that way.

For instance, there's a very glaring cut in the Season 2 episode "Kiddie Parties, Inc." Lucy and Viv are blowing up balloons, and Lucy hands Viv a balloon of a certain color, and when they cut to Viv taking it, it's a different color!

It's also obvious there's a cut there, because the audience laughs loudly, yet nothing particularly funny was said or done.

I can't wait to find out what got the big laugh!
Did you see this clip on Youtube? I have a copy of this episode with the exact same cut.

I've seen the part that's missing. Lucy blew up the light blue balloon, then it jumps to her handing off the green one to Viv, then Lucy blows up the dark blue balloon. If you can't wait to see it and don't want spoilers, don't read but . . .
Lucy blows up a light-blue balloon. Here is the conversation, most of what I can remember, so bear with me!Lucy: By the way your pony arrived
Viv: MY pony?
Lucy: Yeah I'm putting you in charge of the pony ride!
Viv: (says something)
Lucy: Look, I made invitations, I put up decorations, the least you can do is (something)
Viv: Hocking my diamond ring doesn't count I guess
Lucy: Yes dear, it counts. All you need to do is walk the pony around the yard, that won't kill ya
(blows up green balloon) Some of these sound like they're in agony! (LOL. It's true, the "groan" noise those balloons made while being blown up) Then Viv starts griping . . .
Lucy: OK honey, stop griping! You're lucky I didn't throw a saddle over you! (hands off green balloon to Viv)
Also, I'm pretty sure the episodes will be uncut. In the 1990s Columbia House released a handful of episodes from the first 3 seasons (I think 25 episodes) on VHS and they were uncut. Someone transferred them to DVD and sent people copies of episodes (including myself) and the episodes run about 24-25 minutes long which is the appropriate length to be uncut. They were

Lucy Goes Duck Hunting
Lucy Gets Locked in the Vault
Lucy and the Bank Scandal
Lucy Takes a Job at the Bank
Lucy the Stockholder

Lucy and the Ceramic Cat
Lucy Goes to Art Class
Lucy the Coin Collector
Lucy Buys a Sheep
Lucy and the Missing Stamp

Lucy Misplaces $2,000
Lucy Waits up for Chris
Lucy and the Electric Mattress
Lucy and Phil Silvers
Lucy Gets Jack Benny's account

Lucy Puts out a fire at the bank
Lucy becomes an astronaut

I think that's all of them I may be missing a few

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, thanks! Now I don't have to wait until March.

That makes sense -- the big laugh when Viv takes the green balloon had to follow "You're lucky I didn't throw a saddle over you."

In the cut version, the laugh seemed to come from nowhere.

This all sounds familiar. I think I might have asked this question on some Internet forum before ...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's probably good, Joe...because I found out that it's actually going to be a bit more than March:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lucy-DVDs-Delayed/12985

Very sorry for the bad news, but at least we know these are coming, and that the studio is taking all the time needed to bring us a hopefully-great product!

DAVE

Well, thanks! Now I don't have to wait until March.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
David,

Thanks for the follow-up and for making it crystal clear that Gary16's info had indeed been correct and this was just a schedule change on CBS/Paramount's part. And no, Gary16 and I are not the same person (in case anyone asks). LOL

Gary "I appreciate Gary16 and Dave & Gord for keeping us informed about this great series" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks