What's new

The Loews Jersey 75th Anniversery Shows (1 Viewer)

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
The Friends Of The Loews, a non-profit all volunteer organization that is in the process of restoring the magnificent Loews Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, New Jersey have announced their film lineup for the theatre's 75th Anniversery next week.

Tuesday Sept. 28th at 7:45pm, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

This date is the actual anniversary of the theatre, and for this night only, we are charging the original 1929 admission price of 35 cents. Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur and Claud Raines star in this classic film about politics and corruption.

Friday Oct. 1st at 8:00pm, The Maltese Falcon

Humphry Bogart, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, and Mary Astor star in director John Huston's film noir detective classic.

Saturday Oct. 2nd at 3:30pm, High Noon

Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly star in this classic western, which was the winner of 4 Academy Awards, including best actor.

Saturday Oct. 2nd at 7:30pm, Spartacus

Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Peter Ustiov, and Charles Laughton star in one of the biggest epics from the golden age of Hollywood.

Sunday Oct. 3rd at 2:00pm, Superman - The Movie

You will believe a man can fly when Truth, Justice, and the American Way prevail.

All films will be presented in 35mm with vintage carbon arc light source. The Loews Jersey Theatre is Northern New Jersey's last surviving movie palace located on Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey, across from the PATH subway station linking Jersey City with Manhattan. You can visit their web site at Loews Jersey Website for further information.

The Loews Jersey Theatre Lobby

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
It is sad that so many of these grand old theaters are now gone. In northern New Jersey the Loews Jersey is the last one left, and it is the last of the Loews Wonder Theatres to be built back in the 1920's. It is also the only Loews Wonder Theatre still operating with classic film as it's primary focus. While there are still a few grand old single screen neighborhood theatres around, such as the Lafayette way up in Suffern NY, the Loews Jersey is the only one that is truly palatial. Marcus Loew said it best when he said, "I don't sell tickets to movies, I sell tickets to theatres".

The good news for those of us (in this area) who love watching classic films is that there are so many film programs happening this fall. In addition to the Loews, the Union County Arts Center in Rahway NJ is running a great series of classic films, and as pointed out above, the Lafayette is running it's annual Saturday morning film series. All these venues have excellent presentation and are worth checking out if you are in the area. Too much of a good thing is always a good thing.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
What I wouldn't give to see those films on the big screen. Especially Mr. Smith, High Noon and Spartacus. I'm very jealous of the folks in Jersey City.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Congrats to Lowe's Jersey on their 75th!

I have no idea of the behind the scenes issues being referred to in previous posts but since I live in the boonies where classic film revivals are almost non existent, I see no reason why we can't celebrate both the Loews Jersey and Lafayette theaters and thank both of them for keeping these classics alive.

To me, their willingness to book "B" pictures such as the Rathbone Holmes films, A&C, L&H etc. in addition to the "A" pictures makes them good guys in my book. I've read Bob Furmanek's comments on this forum and others and he is at the forefront of promoting classic movies. I am sure the current folks at Loew's Jersey are equally as dedicated. Let's face it, those of us to who would regularly pay to see a 60 year old film on the big screen are in the minority among movie goers. The Loews and Lafayette should be seen as complementing each other not competing.

Along the same lines, if there are any other theaters in the country that bring back the oldies on a regular basis I'd love to see a listing or be pointed in the right direction.

Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Same here. We're not interested in those issues, and they've been pruned from the thread.

M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since my previous posts were among those "pruned" (sorry), let me just say;

Happy 75th Birthday Loews Jersey!:emoji_thumbsup:

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to take a moment to thank those of you from the Home Theater Forum who braved the tropical storm on Tuesday to come out and with the Loews Jersey Theatre a Happy Birthday.

Don't forget that our anniversery continues with this weekends screenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks