What's new

The Last Enemy (mini-series on PBS) (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Has anyone caught this? Very gripping. I believe 2 of 3 episodes have already been broadcast, but worth watching next time it's shown, or when it comes to DVD.

For reference, here's how Amazon review summarizes the story and the forthcoming DVD :

"Review
Comes close to being a masterpiece and could hardly feel more contemporary or timely --Daily Variety

Product Description
Set in the very near future, this riveting thriller explores how technology and terror could transform civilization into a dystopian society of constant surveillance.

Reclusive, brilliant mathematician Stephen Ezard returns home to England to attend his brother Michael's funeral, an aid worker killed by a landmine in Afghanistan. After years of working in near-isolation in China, Stephen struggles to reconcile his carefully controlled world with a brother he did not know, in a police-state London he does not recognize.

Soon he finds himself falling in love with his brother's widow, Yasim; lured into becoming the public face of the government super-database, a program with the ability to watch and record the actions and movements of every individual; and caught up in an international conspiracy that forces him to question who, if anyone, he can trust.

Benedict Cumberbatch (Atonement) stars as Stephen, with Max Beesley (Hotel Babylon) as Michael, and Anamaria Marinca (Sex Traffic) as the beautiful and mysterious Yasim.

Bonus DVD features include: a behind the scenes featuretts; deleted scenes; outtakes; access to the Masterpiece Web site; and closed captions."

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I recorded the first two episodes but have not watched them yet. My TV schedule is so packed that I often hoard these PBS series for later viewing, like the holiday rerun doldrums.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I taped them as well, and watched the first one twice to max my plot comprehension.

I'm assuming the next part will be the conclusion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's actually a five-part series, so I think after last night's episode, there are still two more.

John Watson

Screenwriter

Cool! We are going to watch the epsiode from last night this evening, and were expecting resolution.

In my view its as exciting as MI 5 was, and certainly speaks to our paranoia about government surveillance.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Well, that was grim. It is as pessimistic as George Orwell's novel 1984.

I hope it's as wrong as 1984 was.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I haven't watched any of it yet but I have recorded the 5-part mini-series in HD to D-VHS and have set it aside for some future date, I have way too many things recorded. It didn't get great reviews on IMDb but it sounds interesting and something I should like.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks