The Last Emperor (1987) where is the DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, May 30, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    The Last Emperor which won the Academy Award for best picture of 1987, was released by Artisan on DVD but since out of print.

I am surprised that Lion's Gate has not put this out under their banner especially since it is an Oscar winner? Any word on it?

Eric

2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

While containing the full-length version of the film, the non-anamorphic Artisan disc was an atrocity, among the top five worst DVDs ever. Should Lionsgate tackle it (and, indeed, it or another label should) it would be nice to have the full-length version in anamorphic widescreen, plus the shorter version (which did win the Oscar, as much as I prefer the longer cut--if only I still owned the exquisite, if slightly edited, Japanese LD I had of the near four-hour film) and a bundle of extras.

3. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

Theres a pal SE,and not word of any US Release,Bertolluccis films are
    either unavailable or in need of Remastering,This is a real shame since
    these are visualy hard to match,and they looked fantastic in the
    theatre,

4. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

5. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Image and Criterion have acquired the North American rights to The Last Emperor, Steven Frears' The Hit, Nagisa Oshima's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, and Nic Roeg's Insignificance.

Image will offer bare-bones editions, and Criterion will handle the deluxe versions.

Here is the press release.

6. Nick Shookla

Nick Shookla Agent

Great news. Even better if the Criterion will contain both cuts as well, but at this point anything is better than that abomination in R1 land.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

While I was never wild about Emperor, a Best Picture-winning flick deserves better than this one's DVD treatment. Good news that it sounds like it'll finally get it...

8. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

Fantastic news. One of my absolute favorite films. While the UK set is very good, the image quality seems like it could be improved on, and I'm one of those who also tends to notice the PAL speed-up.

I hope they include both cuts, as this is one instance where I think the shorter one is infinitely better. Also, I hope they keep the South Bank Show from the UK set, it's one of the best making-of specials I've ever seen.

9. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Forget all that - THE HIT is a fantastic film and it's never been released on DVD anywhere AFAIK. Brilliant news that it's finally getting a release.

10. JerryKILL

JerryKILL Stunt Coordinator

The Hit was released by Live/Artisan in 2002, in a pitiful full-frame version.

11. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Great news about THE LAST EMPEROR. I would hope Criterion would release both cuts; the short version left me cold, and seemed like one of the weaker films to win Best Picture. It wasn't till I saw the Japanese LD of the longer version that I grew to appreciate and admire the film--it may be my favorite Bertolucci. Alas, I sold that disc off to obtain the Artisan atrocity, a mistake. Kudos to getting it right.

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great news about the Criterion link

count me in

13. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Damn! I was hoping I could hold out a bit and get this on HD-DVD or Bluray. I wish Criterion would get their act together. They're supposed to be offering a premium product... they certainly do for DVD, but HD is where my $ is spent now.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Until there's one HD format, Criterion can't afford the authoring costs of making HD titles.

15. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    But Image can.

16. Clint_G

Clint_G Agent

I got the old Artisan Last Emperor and it is indeed an atrocious quality DVD. So much that it actually affected my viewing of the film. The drab colors and overall murkiness of the image made it hard to watch. I'll pick this one up if it isn't too much.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I purchased the old DVD as a blind buy and thoroughly enjoyed the film--despite the horrid print/transfer. I will definitely pick up one of the new releases. I might spring for the Criterion as I would love to learn more about the making of the film in China.

Now...if only we knew when it will be released (although the press release may be hinting with the mention of the end-of-year 20th anniversary of the film. And...if only we knew what Criterion had up its sleeves for it's version. [​IMG]