Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: The King's Man

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy

Director: Matthew Vaughn

Release: 2021-12-22

Plot: Third installment of the 'Kingsman' franchise.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Despite what TMDB's poster art shows right now, which they will make the image for this thread, Taron Egerton says he's not going to be in Kingsman 3 at all:

Taromn Egerton said:
I don’t know how hot off the press this is, and I think I’m allowed to say it, but I’m not in the next Kingsman movie. That doesn’t mean I won’t be in Kingsman ever again. I was with Matthew [Vaughn] as little as a few days ago, we’re still very much in business together, but his next journey in that world doesn’t involve me… His idea for the new one is incredibly exciting. I’m sad that I won’t be on that journey with him, but it’s not the last you’ve seen of Eggsy.

https://www.slashfilm.com/kingsman-3-taron-egerton/

I'm not so sure about this idea. The cast is a large part of the appeal of these films, Egerton in particular. I love Matthew Vaughn, but...we'll see. I'm not convinced.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Neither am I. I thought the second film was a pale shadow of the first, which was great. This doesn't sound too promising, but who knows?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since this is a Fox property, there is also the question of whether Disney will proceed with the franchise, or not, once the acquisition is complete. The extremely violent nature of the first two doesn't mesh with Disney's brand. They could allow Fox to continue it anyway, but it's worth noting that it isn't entirely clear in what capacity Fox will function once it is a subsidiary and not its own fully autonomous studio. Last I heard, the deal is expected to close on January 1, so Disney will have their hands in this sooner rather than later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since this is a Fox property, there is also the question of whether Disney will proceed with the franchise, or not, once the acquisition is complete. The extremely violent nature of the first two doesn't mesh with Disney's brand. They could allow Fox to continue it anyway, but it's worth noting that it isn't entirely clear in what capacity Fox will function once it is a subsidiary and not its own fully autonomous studio. Last I heard, the deal is expected to close on January 1, so Disney will have their hands in this sooner rather than later.
It's all speculation so I'm anticipating that Disney is going to continue with the Fox brand and allow their future film projects to continue as plan for the most part.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right. They could very well leave it alone. I'm just saying that nobody knows for sure what Disney is going to do until Disney actually gets in the picture. It would not surprise me if they allow Kingsman to continue, and it would also not surprise me if they didn't. If they didn't, perhaps it could get picked up by a different studio, like Hellboy made the jump from Sony to Universal (and now to Lionsgate for its reboot.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right. They could very well leave it alone. I'm just saying that nobody knows for sure what Disney is going to do until Disney actually gets in the picture. It would not surprise me if they allow Kingsman to continue, and it would also not surprise me if they didn't. If they didn't, perhaps it could get picked up by a different studio, like Hellboy made the jump from Sony to Universal (and now to Lionsgate for its reboot.)
It would surprise me if Disney discontinues Fox from releasing their edgy/R titles under the Fox banner.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can’t imagine that Disney bought Fox to shut it down, or just to strip mine its intellectual property.

Disney used to have Touchstone as an outlet to create films and attract talent that didn’t otherwise fit the Disney brand. It allowed them to capture more of the market, not less. With Fox, they’ll have that kind of outlet again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can’t imagine that Disney bought Fox to shut it down, or just to strip mine its intellectual property.

Disney used to have Touchstone as an outlet to create films and attract talent that didn’t otherwise fit the Disney brand. It allowed them to capture more of the market, not less. With Fox, they’ll have that kind of outlet again.
You and I are on the same page as Disney paid a lot of money to just strip mine it's intellectual properties.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

They still have Touchstone. They've just chosen not to use it because they don't do a bunch of mid-range films anymore. But they could dust it off and use it again anytime they so chose. The thing is that except for the odd inspirational sports drama or nature documentary here and there, everything that Disney does now is a major tentpole event films. If they allow Fox to continue producing films that are not that, it will represent a change in strategy from what Bob Iger has been shepherding for the last several years. I think it's highly likely that the scenario you're describing will play out, but I wouldn't call it a sure thing just yet. That's all I'm saying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll probably see it, but I'm less excited than I would be if it were a third film with Eggsy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Colin Firth was the best thing about both Kingsmans if you ask me. However, after the travesty that was the sequel I have no real desire to go back to this for a third time, no matter who's in it.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ditto.

I assume they still have Colin Firth? The article makes it sound like they do not.
The article isn't clear, but it would seem odd if he were not included since he was part of the organization prior to Eggsy's arrival, and actually recruited/selected him. Though they might need to de-age Firth since this is a prequel. Perhaps that's not cost effective within the budget if they need to do it with CGI, so maybe he'll just have a cameo and be away "on a mission" for much of the film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought there were two separate projects: Kingsman 3 set after Kingsman 2 with Eggsy back, down the road, and the Kingsman prequel set during Edwardian England next.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks