What's new

Argylle (2024) (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some BO prognosticators keep trying to make the point that we cannot evaluate theatrical releases backed by streamers the same as studio releases since theatrical is not really their main interest.
I know that. But Apple is treating it as a regular theatrical release, so I think it is still fair to judge it with the metrics that we have available. Money is money, and even a big, deep-pocketed tech giant is eventually going to get tired of losing it.

This film is the third Apple movie with a $200 million commitment to lose money theatrically in recent months. At least Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon have some prestige attached to them because they come from Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott, respectively. But Argyle is not an awards bait movie, and it seems like neither audiences nor critics like it very much. If anything, I think the negative buzz being generated around the film may turn people off from streaming it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From Variety (emphasis mine):

Variety said:
Matthew Vaughn’s “Argylle,” which topped the box office despite its dismal debut, will likely retain the No. 1 spot again with $6 million to $8 million. But don’t get too excited. The film cost $200 million to produce, so it’s shaping up to be the year’s first big bomb. So far, ticket sales have reached just $18.5 million domestically and $35 million globally. The filmmaker’s dreams of turning “Argylle" into a trilogy appear to have faded unless Apple decides to embrace a new corporate mandate to light money on fire.

I rarely see Variety be so pointed and saucy in their box office reporting.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The worst part of this being a $200 million movie is that none of it looks like it needs to be. There’s no reason for this movie to have cost much more than one of those Liam Neeson action movies that comes out every winter.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There’s no reason for this movie to have cost much more than one of those Liam Neeson action movies that comes out every winter.
And if they had budgeted it that way, it probably could have been a reasonable success at its current gross level.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
People keep reporting $200m as the budget but Vaughn has said it wasn't.

Apple paid $200m for the rights but that's not what the movie actually cost to make.

That said, the actual budget is unconfirmed. Less than $200m but unclear how much less.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Pitch Meeting is here. Spoilers, so don't click if you don't want to know.

Apple paid $200m for the rights but that's not what the movie actually cost to make.
In one sense, that's an important distinction. But on the other, if Apple paid $200 million for anything to do with this movie, they're not going to recoup that investment with the box office performance that it is currently putting up.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In one sense, that's an important distinction. But on the other, if Apple paid $200 million for anything to do with this movie, they're not going to recoup that investment with the box office performance that it is currently putting up.

I thought it was important from the POV that people pick on the movie for allegedly costing that much to make.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We watched this tonight.
This was not good.
The ice skating and the smoke thing.
The cat cgi was some of the worst in a big budget movie.

Pretty sure I saw a btwrr version of this before and I think Sam Jackson was in that too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Last edited:

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Saw this on Apple TV with the wife. I liked it but……it’s really silly. The ending is really silly. I’ll give Matthew Vaughn credit…..The twist who Bryce Dallas Howard’s character actually is a bold move but I don’t think it actually works in the traditional sense Having said that the only way I can take that plus all the cliche spy twists this has is if it’s a movie making fun of all those cliche’s haha. I can see why the last act sinks it and why people may not like it. My wife was even like wow this is pretty cheesy. She’s not wrong…sometimes I do enjoy a good cheese just in moderation😂

PS I think I’ve never seen so much CG in a spy film could be wrong. I mean the smoke/skating scene is totally ridiculous but I wonder if that’s the point. I hope it was as there’s no way to take this movie seriously once you witness that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.