What's new

The King's Man (2021) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought there were two separate projects: Kingsman 3 set after Kingsman 2 with Eggsy back, down the road, and the Kingsman prequel set during Edwardian England next.
I'm sure that's probably the plan, as the director has said he planned the Eggsy films as a trilogy (naturally). But they're currently concentrating on the prequel for a November release. A little odd to interrupt the trilogy for a prequel.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Eggsy, for me, is the weakest part of these films. It was all the characters, situations, and stuff going on around him that was interesting. Remove Eggsy and you might get a better film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kingsman 3 set after Kingsman 2 with Eggsy back, down the road

I think you are right that a third film with Eggsy will happen at some point. However, this thread was named Kingsman 3 because that's how the database where we get the headers for movies threads currently has it cataloged, so it was automatic.

Kingsman: The Great Game

Since we now know the title of the film thanks to @Malcolm R's post #12, perhaps a moderator could change the title of the thread to reflect this information?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter said:
Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman untitled prequel will now hit theaters Valentine's Day 2020, instead of this November. Now, 20th Century Fox will use the Nov. 15 slot for James Mangold's Ford v. Ferrari movie, which had been set to open June 28, 2019. The new date puts the untitled film, starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon, in the heart of awards season.

and

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Vaughn has indicated that he'll next turn his attention to a proper sequel to The Golden Circle.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...b-2020-free-fall-lands-summer-release-1189367

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Matthew Vaughn now says that Kingsman 3 will "wrap the Eggsy-Harry relationship."

https://deadline.com/2019/05/kingsman-3-eggsy-harry-matthew-vaughn-1202622761/

Matthew Vaughn said:
We’ve got to finish off the Eggsy and Harry relationship. The final chapter of their relationship needs to be told, which we’ve got ready to do, and I’m hoping to shoot that later this year or the beginning of next year.”

This sounds like it's definitely a separate thing from The Great Game. Disney-Fox has a Kingsman movie on their release schedule for Valentine's Day 2020, which is presumably The Great Game. If Vaughn wants to shoot that next year, I bet we end up with the prequel in 2020 and the third Eggsy film in 2021. I doubt Fox would want to release two Kingsman films in the same year.

But when is The Great Game shooting, or has it already, for the February 2020 date?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The prequel looks like an interesting departure from the two films that preceded it. I'm in to see if they pull it off.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I liked the first trailer too, but this one more clearly presents it as being in the vein of the other Kingsman films. I'm still skeptical if Matthew Vaughn and company can get me to care about this as much without Eggsy there because he was such a large part of the appeal of the first two films. But I'm certainly willing to go find out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disney just unveiled a bunch of new release dates, and the biggest news is that The King's Man is being delayed all the way to September 2020, even though it's already had two trailers in theaters promoting it with its previous Valentine's Day release date.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/disney...he-last-duel-the-kings-man-nimona-1202787773/
Perhaps they've realized that a film without Eggsy is going to be a hard sell.

Eggsy's character is the entire raison d'etre of the franchise so far. Seemed odd to make the third film without him.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Eggsy's character is the entire raison d'etre of the franchise so far. Seemed odd to make the third film without him.

I agree, but they've already made the choice to do that, so delaying it won't change that fact. On the one hand, I understand the impulse to further expand the world of a popular franchise beyond the original cast so that, in success, you can keep making them whether the cast wants to continue or not. But what is a little strange to me is the placement of this movie in between The Golden Circle and a third movie in the, for lack of a better term, "Eggsy trilogy." It would seem that you'd want to complete the arc for him and then go do this, which amounts to a a spinoff, later. Doing the spinoff in the middle and then going back to finish off with Eggsy, which is Vaughn's plan, is more unorthodox. And it requires Fox's new management (i.e. Disney) to approve the greenlight of a third Eggsy film, which becomes more questionable if this one (the riskier spinoff) struggles to do well.

Delaying a film that was supposed to come out in February this late is odd and raises questions about why they want more time. Does the film need more time to be completed, or do they just want to overhaul the marketing?

Incidentally, I saw Ford v. Ferrari on Sunday, which is also a Fox film, and it had the trailer for this on there, and it still had the February 14 release date tagged on the end. You'd think Disney would be quick to update the files for the trailer sent to the theaters. Since it's all digital now and there's no film print involved, it really shouldn't be that hard.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have to admit that I haven't even watched the second Kingsman film yet.

Because this is a prequel, I doubt that not seeing the second one would be a barrier to entry on this one.

But if you want to see the second one first, you've now got a whole lot more time to do so given the release date change to next September.

The second one was a bit overlong and not as good as the first one, but I still had fun with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because this is a prequel, I doubt that not seeing the second one would be a barrier to entry on this one.

But if you want to see the second one first, you've now got a whole lot more time to do so given the release date change to next September.

The second one was a bit overlong and not as good as the first one, but I still had fun with it.
Based on the trailer, I would have never guessed it was a prequel to the other two movies.;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
King's Man.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What with all the discussion about whether or not Tenet and Mulan will stick to their dates, I kind of forgot about this film being so close until I saw the new poster on social media. I guess it is yet another film I will now miss at the theater that I would have seen under normal circumstances.

I wonder if Disney regrets moving this off of its original date back in February at this point.

Also, I edited the first post of this thread to update the thread title, because the movie's title is no longer "Kingsman 3." The thread is now in line with the title that is being used for this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks