What's new

The Island WalMart bonus disc? (1 Viewer)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I had seen that there was going to be a bonus disc packaged with "The Island" available from WalMart on 12/13/05 but do not see anything on the WalMart website. Anyone hear of this?

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I have with the so called bonus disc is that you have to pay $5 extra. Not much of a bonus. I loved The Island but don't think I will buy it when it comes out. I just know in 4 to 6 months there will be a better edition for the same price.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
That is where I origially found the info but cannot find anything out from WalMart. Website or store.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Wal-Mart never had any info about their WAR OF THE WORLDS exclusive DVD either, which was frustrating as all hell. If the one for THE ISLAND follows suit, it will have an HBO "Making Of" featurette and a special effects featurette but that's all just conjecture based off the WotW bonus DVD. Considering how truly barebones THE ISLAND DVD will be, I'm all for any additional extras so I'm sure I'll grab the Wal-Mart version no matter what it offers...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For my local Wal-Mart, I've been able to get WoTW w/ bonus DVD, and Fantastic Four w/ bonus DVD for $13.77 each. I've read reports of other places where this is happening for the release week of DVDs that get the bonus DVD treatment from Wal-Mart. Of course, YMMV.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I vehemently disagree, since I researched it on a daily basis--the WAR OF THE WORLDS Wal-Mart Exclusive bonus DVD was 100% not not not ever posted on the website at least up until the day of release (after that, I stopped looking, so it might be there now), and it wasn't until early buyers on 11/22 started reporting back on forums like this one that anyone knew what that bonus disc featured.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I stand corrected. The website did list it on the release date. I think you made your point, point, point Travis.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I just want to avoid anyone thinking I'm a disseminator of faulty info; when I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but otherwise, I'd like to be seen as a worthwhile contributor to the forum proceedings that can be depended upon to "know his stuff"--you'll have to forgive my frustration at, even for a moment, being painted otherwise.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This is sort of off topic, but is The Island going to be edited from its original theatrical version to something else just for DVD, ala Alexander: DC?

I think I remember hearing they (the Studio, or director)wanted to trim the film down slightly to make it faster or more action oriented. I was just a rumor at the start, but I never heard anything else to follow up.

Does anyone know?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
This is the theatrical cut of the film, I assume, since it has the same runtime (136 mins).

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau

That comment was misconstrued from the USA TODAY article about it. They were simply referring to its marketing for the DVD, not the film itself.

Also, I would doubt they would make a 2 disc version of this considering how poor it did at the box office.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Alright, I bought it this morning and (slight bummer) it appears to be exactly like the bonus DVD for WAR OF THE WORLDS. It contains:

THE ISLAND "Behind the Scenes" HBO Special

"Before It All Starts" Previsualization: From storyboards to animatics, get an exclusive peek at what everyone on the set sees before any film ever rolls.

I don't have the running times on either featurette, since I had to go straight to work after buying it but, if it holds with the WotW bonus disc, it'll be approx. 15 minutes on the HBO featurette and approx. 8 minutes on the Pre-Visualization piece.

NOTE TO BUYERS IN THE TULSA, OK AREA! The Wal-Mart in Broken Arrow at 71st and Aspen (145th) is ringing up this 2-DVD set for the single DVD price, even though it's marked $3 higher on the display stand. With the $3 coupon that came out in People magazine a couple of weeks back, this 2-disc set can be had for only $13.87!!! Better move fast before they realize their error...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Travis. I'll pass on the bonus features. It isn't worth it to support Wal Mart. But you should correct your statement because it's 71st and 145th.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Is it? Dammit--I LIVE right off of that street and still can't keep B.A. streets straight...I grew up in Tulsa and never even voyaged into B.A. until my 20s, he he...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks