What's new

The Inside (1 Viewer)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Actually that's not too bad for a summer show. But there was a lot of promos for it tho... What show is it compeating against in the same time slot last year?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Oh, well. . .as long as they get to the episode where Hart Bochner guest stars! Absolutely love him.

Not a spectacular premiere, but I really like Peter Coyote. Loved his line there at the end. He has the potential to be an intriguing character with his own secrets.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I hope they air every episode they've filmed. God I hate Fox. They need to give it a chance. If this is cancelled in the next few weeks I hope Tim Minear never works for Fox again, man what a masochist.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but until very recently, Fox has been the only place where you can have both an offbeat premise and a decent budget. The success of Lost changed the rules a bit, but ask Minear how well ABC treated him with Strange World.

And from the first episode, The Inside is no Strange World. It's too much in the current dark style, with everyone wearing black in chrome-and-black offices with the oh-so-serious hushed conversations. The premiere didn't give us one interesting character, and didn't exactly show why Rachel Nichols impressed Minear & company enough that she's all that was kept from the original pilot.

I hope it gets better; Minear has assembled a pretty nice writing staff. But right now, I think I'm more hoping that the talented people involved get dispersed to other, better projects.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I watched it just now and turned it off after about 1/2 way. I don't mind violence too much but this seemed a little too gruesome for me. I turned it off right after they found the second girl and Locke had fainted. I like Finneran, Baldwin, and Coyote but this was just a little too much for me.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Plus, is Fox that different in this regard than the other major nets? Would CBS, ABC, or NBC have given Wonderfalls and Firefly more of a chance than Fox or even greenlit those shows in the first place? Fox was pretty supportive of 24 early on and they have probably been more than supportive in sustaining Arrested Development. Even the almighty HBO just got a nice bit of fan wrath for cancelling Carnivale.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope. People get angry at Fox for canceling shows they love, but seldom stop to think that they only notice because Fox is the only broadcast network taking chances in prime time. ABC, CBS, and NBC all have the same quick hook, but who cares if NBC yanks another comedy about single twentysomethings living in Manhattan apartments they can't afford?

There's a line of thought that the audience would rather never see these shows then be teased with 3 or 4 episodes before they're yanked, but it's a stupid line of thought, if you ask me.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I understand that thinking to an extent though which is why I often just wait until shows are released on DVD. By then I know how well the long term prospects are and can prepare accordingly. Whether its watching Babylon 5 knowing that JMS was able to fulfill his full five year arc or being prepared in advance for Firefly to be cut short after half a season, my expectations are appropriately tempered before becoming emotionally committed to a series.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I like FOX even if they do cancel some of my favroite shows. I mostly watch hour long dramas. Things are a bit different now with smaller budget but just as good basic cable shows. Sometimes I wish that the major nets will just do shorter seasons like basic cable. Maybe that will give more variety of programming, and maybe improve the writing with more time between seasons. I'm mostly referring to semi countinus storylines which a lot of people dont watch if they didnt see enought of the story. I dunno...

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I think things are definitely moving that way. Both 24 and Alias held their seasons the past year so that they could run interrupted like most cable shows and, at least in 24's case, I think it really paid off. Even reality shows like Survivor and The Apprentice use a structure that effectively fits in two "seasons" per year.

I also saw a comment from Tim Minear indicating that Fox sold him on the early summer run of The Inside by likening it to the strategy used on F/X shows Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me (though Fox might have been blowing smoke up his ass).

I don't think it will be long until some of the more powerful television producers start asking for shorter seasons to help sustain creativity.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I feel that way about a lot of shows. Not just F/X but most basic cable stations. My gut feeling is that the Inside wouldn't have done much worse in the ratings on one of the basic cable nets and for basic cable those numbers are very good.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I liked this ep. Although even though the man rape was offscreen is was still pretty sick. Buck who likes to **** gave it to ol' Ellis from Diehard. Never thought i'd get to write that down in a sentence. Not sure if i should have.

I originally posted this on accident in the 4400 thread. pretty comical.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I thought the first 2 episodes were pretty good, but the ratings for this week's was awful. But I love the show for casting Hart Bochner. Man, I would love to see him as a regular on a series.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
He was one of the folks on the short list for John Doggett on The X-Files (as was Bruce Campbell), but Robert Patrick got the part. Would have been interesting to see which way the show would have gone with either of them.

Can't say this show is impressing me yet. I imagine I'm going to start wondering how many serial killers Los Angeles can support in a few weeks, and the characters just aren't very interesting. I'm waiting to see the episodes written by Jane Espenson and Ben Edlund, although I'm not holding out a lot of hope - they're good, but I don't know if they're "overcoming this dismal setting" good.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the first two episodes were very exciting. There are mysteries going on behind the characters and I am looking forward to seeing how it all evolves.

Given the ratings, I doubt FOX will invite the show back, but I hope that FOX will air the 13 episodes. I think I read somewhere that they are still finishing off the last episode or so.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks