What's new

The High Chaparral Season 1 – Coming 8/28/18 (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The High Chapparal - Season 1
A Hanging Offense (1.11) Denver Pyle, Alan Bergman, Ken Drake, Paul Fix (as Cochise??? no less). Blue being honorable defends an Indian woman who is being attacked by a Cavalry officer. During the encounter, the officer is killed and Blue is given a military trial since the officer who was killed is the General's son. John defends Blue.

The Price of Revenge (1.12) Ralph Meeker, Geraldine Brooks. Blue almost has his horse stolen from a very tired/sick man. Turns out this man is an old friend of Buck's. After being nursed back to health, Tracy accepts a job from a wealthy woman who lost her husband and homestead due to actions by Senor Montoya. She is out to destroy the Cannons any way she can and tracy's prowess with a gun is her weapon of choice.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What would be the timeline on that third-season release (that one being 1969-70)?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just saw it on the Shout website, scheduled for April 23. Sweet.

If we're that close to it, then I think that bodes well for the final one (1970-71) to come out very soon after that, and possibly an all-in-one!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just saw it on the Shout website, scheduled for April 23. Sweet.

Great news! Just received S1 and watched the first episode, "Destination Tucson," tonight. Very strong opener. It must have been quite a shock to audiences at the time to see a (seemingly) main character killed off in the pilot. That whole scene was pretty eerie, with the sounds of the crying baby on the wind.

Henry Darrow has just one brief scene, but makes a strong impression as Manolito. Leif Ericson as Big John Cannon is very gruff and not entirely sympathetic, but he's nicely balanced by Cameron Mitchell as the affable, devil-may-care Buck. Fun to see veteran western faces like Don Collier, Roberto Contreras and Rodolfo Acosta in supporting roles (although it seems a bit rich to call Acosta's character simply "Vaquero," i.e. "Cowboy." Doesn't he deserve a name of his own? And for fans of beautiful actresses from the days of classic television, there's the presence of Jacklyn O'Donnell, as a VERY pretty saloon girl named Jo.

The episode ends a bit abruptly, but I like the mildly serialized nature of these opening episodes. Looking forward to digging further into the set.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great news! Just received S1 and watched the first episode, "Destination Tucson," tonight. Very strong opener.

Jeff, glad you received your set. You do realize the first episode is part 1? ;)

I just finished the last disc of season 1 this afternoon. I enjoyed the interview with Don Collier and "How The West Was Shown". Not specific to The High Chaparral, moreso to a variety of vintage westerns (James Drury, Robert Fuller, Andrew Prine, Earl Holliman, Denny Miller, Gary Chalke, Peter Brown). Interesting stuff.

1.26 - The Hair Hunter
James Gregory, Richard Evans.
A father son hunting team is killing Indians (Apache) for scalps -$100 apiece. The son is injured on the Chaparral and is treated and recovers under Victoria's care. John orders the father off and the son wants to work on the ranch and not kill Indians. The ending surprised me.

1.27 - A Joyful Noise
Ramon Novarro, Laurie Mock, Penny Santon, Angela Clarke.
Mano is snake bitten and finds his way to a deserted church. he is cared for by traveling Sisters. A Romeo @ Juliet tale play out over a novitiate's desire to go with a violent man (to save others) or follow her heart to serve God.

Season Finale
1.28 - Threshold Of Courage
Pat Hingle, Ron Hayes, Rex Holman.
An embittered Civil War vet holds a grudge against John Cannon. He has an elaborate plan involving kidnapping, mental and physical torture and imprisonment to exact his revenge against John. After dividing John from his men, the plan is put into place. Carr's brother is not fully invested in this plan. Another great guset appearance from Pat Hingle. I always enjoy his episodes as he is an extremely interesting actor. This role of the wounded Civil War vet is just another great character part. The episode needs a strong antogonist and he gives it in spades. Nice way to finish out seaon 1. Season 2 moves into rotation soon.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Jeff, glad you received your set. You do realize the first episode is part 1? ;)

Hi Doug! I do know the story picks right up again in episode 2 (and sort of concludes in ep 3) from my watching this show many years ago...but I don't think it's technically a part 1 or part 2 situation, exactly. Most multi-part stories at the time seem to have the same title broken into 2 (or in some cases, 3, parts, as in Mission: Impossible season 4, "The Falcon"). This seems more a case, like in the early seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies or Petticoat Junction, where each episode is essentially standalone but often the next one continues a mini story arc. "Destination Tucson" seems structured as a standalone episode to me.

Of course, I'm just being pedantic and splitting hairs, as to all intents and purposes these first three episodes act as a three parter. I guess my comment above was more directed to where, and how, the first episode ends...it seems somewhat anticlimactic, when the previous scene (the aftermath of Annalee's funeral, with Blue moving towards Big John for some kind of comfort, and John walking away) is a more powerful, emotional note to end the episode on.

Thanks for the season 1 wrap-up comments...looking forward to your thoughts on season 2!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have placed a pre-order for Season 3 that is due April 23rd.

Started watching The High Chaparral - Season 2.
The Stallion (2.1) Strong opener that focuses on Blue and his desire to own a black stallion. Only problem is a chief's son also has eyes on the horse. Blue gets him first, trains him and has him stolen. Chatto then works with him. The families meet and witness a fight for the horse. the stallion has divided feelings and makes an unusual choice for series television, but seems true to the animal. I liked this one.

Ten Little Indians (2.2) Blue and Buck discover Indians that have been attacked and left for dead. Our boys then discover two little Indians. Providing for them means heading back to the Chaparral. Victoria's heart will not let John take them off the ranch even after they discover the oldest is the grandson of Geronimo. Eventually 10orphaned Indians are on the ranch and become the target of Geronimo's enemies. Will the men of Chaparral and Geronimo fight together?

Follow Your Heart (2.3) A Sam Butler love story. Excellent story with Ed Begley, Miriam Colon and Abraham Soafer. Sam gets distressing news from home and feels he must go on a mission to kill a family member. He goes it alone but all of the men from the ranch feel a love for Sam that can only be shown by providing physical support. A most excellent episode that uses one standard western series trope. Supporting cast can't stay happy.

Tornado Frances (2.4) Buck gets involved with a lover's spat by purchasing a bar without knowing there is a very indignant young woman leading the temperance league along with Grandma Walton (Ellen Corby). If this sounds amusing, it is not one of their serious efforts. Look for Dub Taylor and his son Buck Taylor in a poker game uncredited part.

The Covey (2.5) Buck can't ammo in town because a gang has purchased the last of it. The gang is lead by El Lobo who has a history with Mano. This is a revenge story that showcases how wily Buck can be when his back is against the wall. Anthony Caruso is Mano's enemy. Mano get's even with El Lobo's girlfriend because she betrayed El Lobo. Poetic ending for her shenanigans.

John Clark2

Auditioning
Real Name
John
This series was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Very glad to see it's now available. Walmart is currently advertising the complete series, for a very good price on DVD. Based on reading your comments above, this must be a European release (although it's clearly not the PAL version - different packaging). I would think they would have to identify it, if it was, since it would not be playable on a dvd/blu ray player in the USA region. Is anyone aware of what the situation is with this Walmart version?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-High...MIj4ra2I-z4AIVyMDACh1gXAspEAQYASABEgJox_D_BwE

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
John Clark2, the distributor is Via Vision, an Australian company. The Amazon listing says it is an all region NTSC import with 26 Discs. The Via Vision site claims they license things from Paramount.

But at this point, to be safe, you should wait for Season 4 from Shout!. Based on how fast the other three came out, Season 4 should be announced shortly.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
John Clark2, the distributor is Via Vision, an Australian company. The Amazon listing says it is an all region NTSC import with 26 Discs. The Via Vision site claims they license things from Paramount.
Looks like an official Australian release. It is PAL in Australia so I think the listing saying NTSC on Amazon is a mistake.

John Clark2

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for the replies. Granted, it is Walmart, but the idea of them offering something in PAL, or any non-playable region format for sale here in the US would seem ludicrously inept. Not saying that isn't the case. And I just noted on Amazon that they did the same thing offering non-playable Season 4 discs, see the link and read the comments:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Chaparr...1550037325&sr=1-6&keywords=the+high+chaparral

John

John Clark2

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, I was pretty excited to buy the complete series for $86.19. Now it appears that it isn't a legitimate offering, and buying the four individual seasons from Shout (assuming they will be bringing out Season 4) is much more expensive. Oh well, too good to be true, I guess.

John

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to confess I haven't found the urge to return to this series after my six-seven episode sampling of Season 1. Again, the problem was that the pilot episode was so strong and its high drama just in the end settled into a format I didn't think was as strong as what I was initially seeing.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Looks like an official Australian release. It is PAL in Australia so I think the listing saying NTSC on Amazon is a mistake.
While it is PAL in Australia, Via Vision has many NTSC sets and I assume this is also one of them. Compression is probably much better on that set compared to Shout's release, which is very compressed judging by some of the screenshots posted earlier.

Can anyone confirm that the other PAL region releases are PAL and not NTSC? If not, I'm likely to buy the 27 disc Australian set, but the idea of having 30 discs in NTSC format is quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks