What's new

The High Chaparral Season 1 – Coming 8/28/18 (1 Viewer)

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Last edited by a moderator:

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
HighChapS1.Cover.72dpi.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ooh, all over this sucker. A very good late period western series, with a strong cast...have been waiting for this for a long time. $25 retail is a pretty good price for 28 episodes.

I know this has been released before on Region 2 DVD in Europe (Germany, I believe). Does anyone here know how good the transfers were on those earlier releases? I hope Shout got some decent prints for this set. A lot of this series was shot in Arizona, with some good location work, and should look very nice if treated well.

Cheers for the release date news (and cover image)!

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I have the R2 Soul Media (Sweden) complete series release of High Chaparral and they do indeed look beautiful...I agree that the Amazon pre-order price of $24.97 is very attractive for season one https://www.amazon.com/High-Chaparr...qid=1525398205&sr=1-7&keywords=high+chaparral , and hopefully sales for this encourage Shout to follow on with the rest of the series as fast as possible...just as a reference, the source prints for High Chaparral are considerably better (with truly vibrant color like The Virginian) than those found on Shout's releases of Big Valley, though those look pretty good too.

I agree, it's a very good western, and sometimes brilliant on occasions. With so many of the period's great guest stars. Cameron Mitchell is one of those under rated actors. Leif Erickson, Don Collier and Mark Slade are solid. And Linda Christian, Henry Darrow and Frank Silvera represent a consistently sympathetic portrayal of the old Spanish Desert SW. Along with a balanced and often sympathetic portrayal of Apache, Navajo characters too. For me, another great virtue is the location shooting at Old Tucson, Coronado, Santa Rita, Oro Valley, Superstition and Cochise. It has the same dusty and sweaty authenticity of Rawhide because of that. (although Rawhide is superior IMHO).

There are quite a few episodes on Youtube, sourced mostly from old Hallmark channel broadcasts. This one here, I believe, is taken from an R2 PAL source. Season 2 Ep 10, "The Buffalo Soldiers" with Yaphet Kotto and Morgan Woodward. Slightly lower res in the uploading, but it at least gives you an idea of the vibrant and unfaded colors of the source film elements. And also the sometimes grand, cinema scale of action sequences on the show. This episode had a much larger cast and extras than usual. But Old Tucson was a movie factory in those days, with tremendous resources to film Westerns. David Dortort of Bonanza was one of the producers of High Chaparral...And. of course, with great David Rose music!

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, with all the stalling of Gunsmoke and Bonanza, this is a bit of good news. I always found HC to have some excellent writing and characters on it. Does anybody hope that there'll be extras? Darrow and Linda are still alive, and I believe the actor who played the youngest son might be also.

It would be nice if there was some material contrasting HC with Mr. Dortoff's earlier effort, Bonanza.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Got mine. Looked at the extras first, and haven't seen the episodes yet. The extras are fine, but I hope they continue with more in future volumes. One talks with surviving tv western stars (Robert Fuller, James Drury) about what it was like to work on them at the time. Very enlightening, but I want more, and sadly no HC people. The second one was with Don Collier. Again very interesting, but he was having some breathing problems. Hopefully, Shout can dig up more interviews for volume 2,3, and 4. I remember hearing there was a tv western convention at some big city years ago, and they were able to get a patched telephone interview with Linda Crystal, who was/in Spain at the time. I hope somebody recorded and kept that.

Hope everybody's enjoying their copies.

James

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have watched the first two episodes (the pilot). Series does not look remastered but does look very good. I had forgotten about the arranged marriage taking place this early in the storyline. I did not remember the ongoing continuity concerning the father/son relationship. I will enjoy revisiting this one. I need to try and ration these so I can David them. Sure hope Shout will release all 4 seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks