What's new

The Hateful Eight (2015) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... My understanding is that there is 6 minutes missing from the standard version that was included in the Roadshow version. That extra 6 minutes of footage is in ADDITION to the overture and intermission.

I look forward to a thorough analysis of the changes.

Mark

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Mark Booth said:
Hmm... My understanding is that there is 6 minutes missing from the standard version that was included in the Roadshow version. That extra 6 minutes of footage is in ADDITION to the overture and intermission.

I look forward to a thorough analysis of the changes.

Mark
So do I, Mark, so do I.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Let's hope the Roadshow version is the one that gets issued on Blu-Ray.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have tons of thoughts on this movie. And I can see why so many people were like 'I have to let it sink in to tell you how I feel about it' , or 'I;m not really sure if I like it or not' after they watched it. It is a very polarizing film.

It is almost as it was designed to shock you first, and and let it sink into your thoughts to analyze it later.

Almost all the characters in the film are despicable. From Kurt Russel as John 'The Hangman; Ruth as a boorish, selfish, loudmouth (that doesn't think twice about pounding his petite prisoner to a pulp whenever she speaks up) to Oswaldo Morby played by Tim Roth who fancies Jelly Beans, and blowing peoples faces off all the while masking as a proper, well mannered, English gentleman.

The character I liked the most was Daisy Domergue played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. Superbly acted. She is the only character I knew right from the start was evil, and had no intention of covering it up. She was on her way to get hung in Red Rock, and she was going to make those around her as miserable as possible. Little Southern gal that smiles like a snake whenever she gets her way, or sticks it to her captor. Almost cute, but underneath you know there is a world of hurt waiting to be dished out by the pretty rattlesnake.

End of my first post about it. I will say more later.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I'd be shocked if that version comes out. Tarantino is going to go the same route that he went with Kill Bill and only have the long version available as a theatrical experience.
When was Kill Bill ever shown as a whole theatrically (at least in the US).

As I said before, no roadshow version on BD, no sale from me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
The character I liked the most was Daisy Domergue played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. Superbly acted. She is the only character I knew right from the start was evil, and had no intention of covering it up. She was on her way to get hung in Red Rock, and she was going to make those around her as miserable as possible. Little Southern gal that smiles like a snake whenever she gets her way, or sticks it to her captor. Almost cute, but underneath you know there is a world of hurt waiting to be dished out by the pretty rattlesnake.
End of my first post about it. I will say more later.
The why blame John Ruth for beating on her? I know some people are criticizing this movie for misogyny, but Domergue was a member of an outlaw gang and a murderer. AFIAC that makes her character fair game for taking abuse.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Everyone keeps saying all of the characters were despicable. I disagree. Although John Ruth hit Daisy, a lot, I saw him as a rough and tough take no shit from anyone guy, this waz the wild west, but if remember right hes the only one who didnt use the N word. And he fully trusted Marquis. And he let Daisy out of the cuffs a few times and let her pick up the guitar. And he always brought his bounty in alive. And he smiled at Mobrays description of civilized justice versus frontier justice. And, as Marquis reminds him in the end, Ruth saved Mannix, despite his mistrust. I really didnt find Ruth all that despicable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
sleroi said:
Everyone keeps saying all of the characters were despicable. I disagree. Although John Ruth hit Daisy, a lot, I saw him as a rough and tough take no shit from anyone guy, this waz the wild west, but if remember right hes the only one who didnt use the N word.
I don't even really know why I noticed but Joe Gage is the one person who didn't. That being said, I do think that Ruth is the least odious of the characters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
The why blame John Ruth for beating on her? I know some people are criticizing this movie for misogyny, but Domergue was a member of an outlaw game and a murderer. AFIAC that makes her character fair game for taking abuse.
Cause guys hitting ladies no matter how bad they are is never cool.

sleroi said:
Everyone keeps saying all of the characters were despicable. I disagree. Although John Ruth hit Daisy, a lot, I saw him as a rough and tough take no shit from anyone guy, this waz the wild west, but if remember right hes the only one who didnt use the N word. And he fully trusted Marquis. And he let Daisy out of the cuffs a few times and let her pick up the guitar. And he always brought his bounty in alive. And he smiled at Mobrays description of civilized justice versus frontier justice. And, as Marquis reminds him in the end, Ruth saved Mannix, despite his mistrust. I really didnt find Ruth all that despicable.
Because he treated every other character as inferior to him. That is despicable.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I dunno. Of course hitting women is not cool. But then again I don't think Tarantino was trying to be cool. That's the character. Period. I actually liked Russels character a lot and was sad to see him go so soon.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
As grotesque as it was,
Ruth's arm hanging there at the end sort of tied things up... in a way he saw Daisy to justice.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Ruth dying was a disappointing surprise. I thought surely he'd be the one to survive. Or, at the very least, survive to much closer to the end.

I can't wait to show 'The Hateful Eight' in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater! Since I know some of my friends just won't stomach the violence, I might as well pair 'Eight' with 'Inglorious Bastards' as the B movie! Get all of the blood and guts spilled in the same evening, so to speak! :)

It will be an enormously delightful evening of excellent screenplays with spectacularly engrossing dialog and superb acting!

Mark

WillG

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
It's very rare but it does play theatrically in the U.S.
Well, the Home video release of the two parts of Kill Bill were representative of how they appeared theatrically. And for the studio two sales is better than one. Here, I suppose it would be a different issue. However, it should be quite simple for a seamlessly branched release that allows the viewer to choose the Roadshow or the general version. Apparent both releases are in the same AR. I have to imagine that the Roadshow version is the "preferred" format, (otherwise, why bother?) it would be bullshit to withhold it.

Bryan^H said:
Cause guys hitting ladies no matter how bad they are is never cool

Eh, forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for Daisy Domergue. But even so where can you draw the line? What if Ronda Rousey was beating on you, you can't (attempt to) hit back?

sleroi said:
I didn't think Mannix was that dispicable. The worst thing you could really say about him was that he was racist, but I never got the impression that he was horribly racist. I mean, he was from the South and certain attitudes were commonplace back then. But I don't recall him showing any unforgivable ill will toward Marquis. And of course, they've "bonded" to some degree by the end of the movie with Marquis admitting that he misjudged Mannix. Even Ruth, who for most of his time in the movie showed very little racist attitude lost his racial composure toward Marquis when he admitted the Lincoln letter was bullshit.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm honestly not a huge fan of the way two different versions of this film are being presented.

My understanding of roadshows vs. general releases is that, if a film was successful as a roadshow, it often played in its full length version when it went out as standard 35mm. It was only for films that flopped, or films getting subsequent re-releases years afterwards, where they may have been trimmed along the way. And we've come a long way since that time period in our respect for film and the preservation of the filmmaker's intents. So I don't really like that they've intentionally made an edited/inferior version of this, when technically speaking, there was absolutely no need to. By all means, make the overture and intermission optional on the DCP version, but I see no artistic or creative justification for cutting the movie beyond that, unless it's part of a misguided effort to "punish" people who don't have the good fortune to live near 70mm theaters.

People like Robert Harris have made it their life's work to put films like this from another era back together. I see no reason to intentionally degrade it from the start.

I'm on the fence about this as a purchase (I liked the first half far more than the second), but if it were the roadshow version on disc, I'd be more inclined to get it. On the other hand, if it was just the edited version, I will definitely not be purchasing that version.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Eh, forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for Daisy Domergue. But even so where can you draw the line? What if Ronda Rousey was beating on you, you can't (attempt to) hit back?
I'm not saying I was empathetic toward the character, but I don't remember her attempting to hit Ruth once during the film. He sure was beatin on her though.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A good friend of mine saw the 70mm version and then accompanied me to the 'standard' presentation a few days later. He described to me a missing scene in which Samuel L. Jackson's character finds a half plucked chicken and asks Bob about it. (The massacre at the Haberdashery interrupted the preparation of the chicken.)

This is anecdotal and maybe I'm not recounting it correctly, but there you go. This is all he recounted to me, so I don't know if that is or is not the totality of the changes.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Well, the Home video release of the two parts of Kill Bill were representative of how they appeared theatrically. And for the studio two sales is better than one. Here, I suppose it would be a different issue. However, it should be quite simple for a seamlessly branched release that allows the viewer to choose the Roadshow or the general version. Apparent both releases are in the same AR. I have to imagine that the Roadshow version is the "preferred" format, (otherwise, why bother?) it would be bullshit to withhold it.
Something that gives me a bit of hope that the roadshow version will come to video is that Grindhouse was eventually released. However, since Grindhouse did so poorly at the box office (a fate that doesn't appear to befalling H8), it's possible that the studio decided to release it to make some of its money back and didn't care what Tarantino had to say on the topic.

WillG said:
I didn't think Mannix was that dispicable. The worst thing you could really say about him was that he was racist, but I never got the impression that he was horribly racist. I mean, he was from the South and certain attitudes were commonplace back then. But I don't recall him showing any unforgivable ill will toward Marquis. And of course, they've "bonded" to some degree by the end of the movie with Marquis admitting that he misjudged Mannix. Even Ruth, who for most of his time in the movie showed very little racist attitude lost his racial composure toward Marquis when he admitted the Lincoln letter was bullshit.
One thing I loved about the movie was that Warren and Mannix set aside their racism. It was primarily self-serving to figure out who was in cahoots with Domergue but I do think they die as comrades and, in a weird way, friends.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw The Hateful Eight tonight (digital projection on a screen without masking. I would have loved to have seen it on one of my Regal Cinema's RPX screens--but The Force Awakens is tying those up right now.).

I almost didn't want to go to see this film for two reasons (even though I'm a big QT fan). One was because of Tarantino's recent statements and stands on issues political. The other was because I had heard so much about the way the Leigh character was treated (hit so often). I cannot stand violence against women. For some reason, it disturbs me greatly.

Well, I'm really glad I saw it because it wasn't just mistreatment for mistreatment's sake. She did play a really evil character so the violence wasn't completely out-of-place (any more that the rest of Tarantino's violence is out of place).

I loved this film. It never lagged--despite its length. The characters all made sense. The dialogue--even though written by Tarantino--never seemed forced.

My son was actually keeping track of the head count (of the deaths)...but quickly lost count! :biggrin:

The plot itself was probably the most mundane part of the entire experience for me. I pretty much knew this was going to play out like Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians...but I always say the fun is in the journey and this journey was an awful lot of fun!

In fact, my son noted to me afterward that it could almost be billed as a comedy because of the great audience response to the laugh-lines sprinkled throughout!

Oh. And our audience gave the film a nice round of applause at the end. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markrosan8
Recent bookmarks