What's new

The Happiest Millionaire: 5.1 and Anamorphic Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I've researched the upcoming release on DVD of The Happiest Millionaire and can't seem to locate any information as to whether it will be anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 audio. I currently have the the Anchor Bay (Roadshow) version (2 channel with non-anamorphic widescreen), so before I make the new investment I would like to know. Thanks

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I hear that it is both. Sadly, I also hear we were supposed to get some supplements, but realized the film is so long that they don't have a lot of room for supplements. I think they had one of those ten minute "makings ofs" done at the time of the film. Also premiere footage and trailers.
Disney has published NO specs for One and only Family band. The film was released in mono but the songs were recorded in stereo and could be used for a remix. There were also three additional songs filmed (and saved!) that could be added as supplements.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The anchor Bay disc is also missing footage at the end of Act One and is also missing Exit music.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, Joe, it looks like you have been sadly misinformed. Ultimate Disney got a copy and it looks to be a rehashed Anchor Bay disc:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/happiest.html

Absent Minded Professor was colorized and MAR, Son of Flubber's OAR is in debate, Follow Me Boys was MAR and a very bad disc on top of that, now this. Did Fred MacMurray owe them money or something?

Also, Family Band will be 1.33:1, but supposedly have an audio commentary. Probably no other extras and not the deleted footage.

And if you read their review of a film called Miracle of the White Stallions, you'll find the transfer is so bad it's probably a rehashed 80s transfer.

Do they shoot darts to decide what to remaster and what to rehash what ever they've got? It just ticks me off to no end that this studio can make great DVDs, they have made great DVDs, but they won't. Millionaire was one I really wanted them to do well.

To think this studio had one of the best restorers in the business, Scott MacQueen, working for them until recently.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...and subsequently released in a very nice 16:9 widescreen transfer in glorious black and white.

Scott MacQueen did great work making sure that many of the Disney films remain viable as films. Home video, of course, is a horse of a different color (and sometimes aspect ratio). :)

Regards,

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I *love* this film, and I'm very defensive of it. I think it continues to receive shallow criticism from those who insist on comparing it to Mary Poppins - Millionaire should be judged on it's own terms, rated according to it's intentions, relative to musicals in general as opposed to one single musical from 1964. The story is about a young woman torn between two men, namely, her father (representing her childhood and safety) and Angie Duke (representing adulthood and risk). Because it is about the growth of the girl from teenager to adult woman, the story is more akin to Gigi, and because the story is set in high society and dominated by an eccentric male, My Fair Lady is another clear influence - and yet no one discusses this in their reviews - ever - bringing up Mary Poppins instead.

The film is not perfect, the most damning thing you can say about it is that it fails to live up to the production values of Gigi and My Fair Lady, the two films that clearly influenced it - and yet it is still a winning film with warm characters and a great score.

I'll keep my Anchor Bay disc, but my step-niece loves this movie, and so, now I know what she's getting for her birthday.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...and from those of us who actually like living in Detroit and don't think it is inherently funny that someone would want to do so. :)

Regards,

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I apologize for not mentioning the 16x9 TAMP, which shows how good vintage B&W can look on DVD.

But onto the bigger issue, which affects much of the library.

There are people who have never seen the live action films but want to. As they are not shown on TV (except occasionally on Hallmark), and since TDC threw out all pre-Eisner Disney material, and the anthology series was cancelled over 20 years ago, DVD is the only way to see this films unless you can track down rare and costly 16mm or 35mm prints with no guarantee of their condition.

Some will be better than others, that's guaranteed, but if they want people to see these films again, they should at least try for the best possible presentation. A trailer, some extras, and a good transfer in the original aspect ratio. Even if the film will never become part of the Western Canon, it is an economic asset to a studio and should be treated with some respect. Some of these have been unavailable since the 80s. I'm not saying you should overstate a film's worth, but make the presentation good enough to consider giving the disc a try.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
This is disappointing news indeed. I was only going to double dip because I was under the impression (wink, wink) that the new release would be anamorphic and have 5.1 audio. Thankfully, I was still able to cancel my pre-order from Laser's Edge (they were great about it). For the time being, I'll stick with my Anchor Bay Roadshow version. I think it's a decent transfer considering.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Theres a review of this up at Ultimae Disney this morning - NO anamorphic and NO 3.0 - just two channel mix down just like the Anchor Bay. Ultimate doesn't particularly like the video or sound on this and I thought they were great on Anchor Bay. Ultimat does not mention if the missing footage is restored at the end of Act One.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There is a glimmer of hope...Ultimate Disney claims the new disc is 172 minutes (the Anchor Bay roadshow disc was 164), and has exit music, so someone should check the disc and compare the two.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the anchor bay was missing footage at the end of act one- and a friend emailed me and says he thinks the disc IS 5.1 - can anyone confirm this?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member

Actually, from what I hear, the Anchor Bay disc was 170 minutes despite what the packaging says, and didn't have the exit music. But I'm not sure what the glimmer of hope is about?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"But I'm not sure what the glimmer of hope is about?"

The glimmer of hope was that your site was incorrect - just a fool's hope, as it turns out.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My Toshiba's audio selection function says the audio is 5.1, but I don't have a Dolby Digital sound system to confirm this. What I can say is, for once, the entire film is there from overture through the last note of exit music. The chapter stops leave something to be desired, especially at the intermission, where it's placed before the intermission title card, rather than at the start of the entr'acte.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
hmmm. wonder why I didn't get this to review? Sometimes Disney sends me really obscure stuff that no one has ever heard of and sometimes they don't send me titles I'm just drooling to review. I didn't get Absent Minded professor (either version) either.

-dave

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is anyone able to answer any of these questions yet? I haven't seen a copy in a B&M yet, but am also wondering if, because this is a personal fave, I need to upgrade from my Anchor Bay Roadshow DVD.

5.1?
Anamorphic?
Restored missing footage at the end of Act 1?
Exit music?

ANY info from those who scored the disc would be appreciated.

I guess at least its not a flipper, like the Anchor Bay disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks