What's new

Pre-Order The Hallelujah Trail (Special Edition) (1965) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
This seems to have had one of the briefest roadshow runs. New Yorks Capitol must have been mighty empty with fairgoers going to other Times Square roadshows doing as Variety might have once said sprightly business.

Had I been old enough I would have been living in these 70MM roadshow houses.
I did live in them, from the moment I saw the original release of SLEEPING BEAUTY in 70MM and 6-Track Stereophonic Sound, at The Goldman Theatre in Philadelphia. It changed my life!

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I like that phrase "Out-of-control Hollywood film making", & it's not really a thing of the past. Big laughs were a bit thin on the ground on those sixties epic comedies, I think the funniest one was The Great Race (mainly thanks to Jack Lemmon & Peter Falk). It was the seventies & eighties where we got comedies that had a joke every ten seconds (terrible joke, no matter, a good one will be along in the blink of an eye). The first one I can think of is Start The Revolution Without Me (1970).
Just because a film had grand scale production values and a longer running time didn’t indicate anything was out of control. Films like THE GREAT RACE, THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, and THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL (all amazingly from one glorious summer in 1965) offered not just pratfalls and jokes but a consistently amusing tone that ran straight through from start to finish that kept a smile on one’s face long after “The End.” Films like START THE REVOLUTION WITHOUT ME and THE TWELVE CHAIRS (also 1970) used period settings to enhance the humor even if production values weren’t quite as grandiose. Tastes change but even what were at the time seen as overindulgent misfires like Spielberg’s 1941 (1979) have over time come to be appreciated more than the critical barbs thrown at them when first released.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Glenn has posted his take on The Hallelujah Trail ---

"John Sturges’ Road Show comedy western has more in common with 1941 than The Magnificent Seven, but Kino has MGM’s new remaster and the visual result is spectacular. The Ultra Panavision 70 epic is still a favorite of fans of out-of-control Hollywood filmmaking. Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Jim Hutton, Pamela Tiffin and a huge cast lead the charge for a convoy of frontier whisky. It’s all in a fine spirit of madcap fun. . . so where are the big laughs?"
...I guess you had to be there!!!
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Sometimes, it's just a matter of people's tastes changing, and what was funny once doesn't seem so funny now. I still appreciate It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, but watching it today, I wonder why I had ever thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. It's still funny; just not that funny.

In terms of comedy Westerns, back in the day, my mother and I had gone to see The Odd Couple at a local theatre, on a double bill with the James Coburn/Carroll O'Connor film Waterhole #3. We loved The Odd Couple, of course, but we guffawed all the way through W#3. Years later, it showed up on TV, and we couldn't wait to see it again.

And we just sat there in dead silence, wondering how on Earth we could think it was remotely funny, let alone hysterically funny. Close to 20 years ago, it came out on DVD, and I bought a copy. I still haven't watched it. I've been afraid to confirm that it was truly a terrible film.
Love WH#3, great cast Caroll O'Conner and Bruce Dern and Burgess Meredith them!! It's in my collection under Westerns genre.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If I had other KL titles to pick up I would, but the $8 shipping charge for a single disc kills it for me.
It is a little steep for shipping, but flat rate domestic Priority Mail is $9.90 these days. I'm not sure how Kino ships, but they may still be eating some of the cost even at $8.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I did live in them, from the moment I saw the original release of SLEEPING BEAUTY in 70MM and 6-Track Stereophonic Sound, at The Goldman Theatre in Philadelphia. It changed my life!

Lucky you! I missed the entire era by a hair. Instead of Ben Hur or Mutiny on the Bounty Loew's State was playing The Owl and the Pussycat.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It is a little steep for shipping, but flat rate domestic Priority Mail is $9.90 these days. I'm not sure how Kino ships, but they may still be eating some of the cost even at $8.
Media Mail shipping for a standard Blu-ray size/weight package costs less than $4, retail.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
$8.00 shipping. Right?

Apparently. I never worry about the shipping, because I literally can't remember ever having to pay shipping from Kino. I've always spent over the free-shipping threshold.:D

At any rate, I was just offering the obvious alternative to Amazon as a source for getting the disc. It's up to you to decide whether you want to spend the $8 in order to get the title earlier than January.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just pre-ordered from Target for $18.56 shipped, with a projected delivery window of 12/14-12/19. We'll see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently. I never worry about the shipping, because I literally can't remember ever having to pay shipping from Kino. I've always spent over the free-shipping threshold.:D

At any rate, I was just offering the obvious alternative to Amazon as a source for getting the disc. It's up to you to decide whether you want to spend the $8 in order to get the title earlier than January.
The same here. I expect to have my Blu-ray delivered next week from Kino for $16.59 as I ordered it with a couple of other titles I wanted from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks