What's new

Pre-Order The Hallelujah Trail (Special Edition) (1965) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
325074_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Hi Ron, what makes this a "Special Edition"?

Iirc correctly, it's an all-new and cleaned-up transfer, plus it has a brand-new audio commentary by an expert on the film

I've never seen The Hallelujah Trail, but as a fan of many Westerns from the 20s to the 70s, I'm interested. I did read somewhere, however, that it has some "outdated cultural depictions." Even though I like old Westerns, like many I don't like and find difficult to watch racist depictions of indigenous Americans. By any chance would someone familiar with the film let those of us who haven't seen it know how much such things are in this movie?

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Iirc correctly, it's an all-new and cleaned-up transfer, plus it has a brand-new audio commentary by an expert on the film

I've never seen The Hallelujah Trail, but as a fan of many Westerns from the 20s to the 70s, I'm interested. I did read somewhere, however, that it has some "outdated cultural depictions." Even though I like old Westerns, like many I don't like and find difficult to watch racist depictions of indigenous Americans. By any chance would someone familiar with the film let those of us who haven't seen it know how much such things are in this movie?
I have not seen this film, but the poster makes it out as a farce rather than traditional...Am I wong here?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ask Kino and Amazon because that's how they're describing it with the following bonus material.

Blu-ray Extras Include:
-HD Master by MGM – From a 2K Scan of the 35mm Reduction Inter-positive
-NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Author/Screenwriter C. Courtney Joyner
-Includes the Roadshow Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit Music
-5.1 Surround and Lossless 2.0 Audio
-Theatrical Trailer (Newly Mastered in 2K)
-Optional English Subtitles

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's a good question; what does make a "Special Edition"? I suppose a fairly bog standard transfer does if it comes in a Steelbook or Digibook. There's plenty of great transfers with good extras that are not called Special Editions. Like a lot of 4K releases, I suppose it's mostly a marketing thing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A lot of "__________ Edition" designations from any distributor have been diluted so much as to be mostly meaningless these days, IMO.

The standard blu-ray release of the recent film The Black Phone has been dubbed a "Collector's Edition" for reasons that escape me.

1665510835601.png

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If it's the same transfer that's been on Amazon Prime for months, it looks nice. Nice, however, doesn't really cut it with something filmed in 65mm. A reduction negative is - a reduction negative. I saw it the day it opened - to be clear - it's a Cinerama film in name only - it has nothing to do with real Cinerama. I loved mostly any large format film and I certainly loved Miss Remick and Mr. Lancaster. I found it terrible back then and terrible now. As to its treatment of indigenes Americans, it's a 1960s movie about the old west. It wan't made today nor should it be judged as would a modern film. Hell, you may as well stay away from just about every western ever made for the era.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
If it's the same transfer that's been on Amazon Prime for months, it looks nice. Nice, however, doesn't really cut it with something filmed in 65mm. A reduction negative is - a reduction negative. I saw it the day it opened - to be clear - it's a Cinerama film in name only - it has nothing to do with real Cinerama. I loved mostly any large format film and I certainly loved Miss Remick and Mr. Lancaster. I found it terrible back then and terrible now. As to its treatment of indigenes Americans, it's a 1960s movie about the old west. It wan't made today nor should it be judged as would a modern film. Hell, you may as well stay away from just about every western ever made for the era.
The overture and the titles are the only thing worthwhile.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This film sounds interesting enough to see at least ounce as it's supposedly the Western version of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
More like if How The West Was Won and IA(Mx4)W got married and then adopted a kid. If you expect it to be of the caliber of those two only, you'll be disappointed. Otherwise it is a well-photographed film with a great score and far more entertaining than just about anything that has a 'vs" in the title of recent vintage.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I never enjoy comedy westerns. I only went to see it because I loved seeing films in Cinerama. It does have some excellent photography with splendid scenic views - and a great music score.
. . . and Pamela Tiffin, who is the only reason I might buy this disc!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There was a spate of epic comedies in the first half of the sixties: Mad Mad World, Those Magnificent Men, The Great Race & Hallelujah Trail (oh what a time it was to be alive!). I have the first three on Blu-ray (looking very nice), although I'll probably only watch The Great Race again (a big favourite from the sixties). As has been said by many, Hallelujah Train is more miss that hit, & I don't like it enough to import a region A from America (especially with the exchange rate as it is), but if it gets a European B release (probably from Germany), I'm sure that I'll buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks