What's new

The Green Knight (2021) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched Sword of the Valiant over the weekend. Obviously drawn from the same source material and it is sort of similar but there are some huge differences. First Gawain is much more heroic and appears on his way to becoming a great knight. There is a lot of sword fighting. Also the Green Knight is the one that is running and creating the game, Gawain's mom is nowhere to be found and Morgan is just a sorceress under the Green Knight. She does not summon him and really is just around as a trickster. She meets a funny fate here that involves the color red.

The ending is different in this version. It was fun to watch another take on this tale so soon after having seen Lowery's version. I think Lowery's version is a much better film but perhaps Sword of the Valiant would be more preferred by the people that complained about there being no swordfights in The Green Knight.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, that's pretty dead on and is spoiler loaded if you have not seen the film. It is my guess that just a handful of us have seen it. Perhaps people are waiting for a home viewing. If you do watch at home do so in the darkest room possible as this picture has a lot of beautiful low light photography.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
David Lowery is on The Movies That Made Me (with your hosts Josh Olson and Joe Dante) podcast this week. For those that haven't heard the show before, it's the finest podcast around.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, that's pretty dead on and is spoiler loaded if you have not seen the film. It is my guess that just a handful of us have seen it. Perhaps people are waiting for a home viewing.
I doubt it's a problem. Who's going to read four pages into the thread and click on a YouTube link if they haven't seen it?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
not sure if you guys have seen it, but Lionsgate announced 4k with DOLBY VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! hoping that it has a great steelbook as well :)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
David Lowery is on The Movies That Made Me (with your hosts Josh Olson and Joe Dante) podcast this week. For those that haven't heard the show before, it's the finest podcast around.

I thought it was an excellent discussion with Lowery. I thought it was funny/sad when Josh Olsen asked him how he managed to get The Green Knight funded and Lowery said basically that A24 just wanted to make the picture and had liked working with him on A Ghost Story. It was sad though when Olsen asked if he would return to this kind of picture and Mr. Lowery just stated he did not know if he could get the funding to do something like this again. Obviously, $15 million being too much to risk on an R rated picture that was not an action picture.

I also found it pretty interesting that he did say he watched Sword of the Valiant before finishing this picture. If only sort of half paying attention to it he said. Good list of pictures too that he says influenced making The Green Knight.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was an excellent discussion with Lowery. I thought it was funny/sad when Josh Olsen asked him how he managed to get The Green Knight funded and Lowery said basically that A24 just wanted to make the picture and had liked working with him on A Ghost Story. It was sad though when Olsen asked if he would return to this kind of picture and Mr. Lowery just stated he did not know if he could get the funding to do something like this again. Obviously, $15 million being too much to risk on an R rated picture that was not an action picture.

I also found it pretty interesting that he did say he watched Sword of the Valiant before finishing this picture. If only sort of half paying attention to it he said. Good list of pictures too that he says influenced making The Green Knight.
He's right around my age so alot of his points of reference and ages that he saw movies are pretty much the same as me. I don't remember being bothered by the puking in Willow though.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
He's right around my age so alot of his points of reference and ages that he saw movies are pretty much the same as me. I don't remember being bothered by the puking in Willow though.

Ha, yes he says he had a phobia. I recall in High School there was a girl that could not take any sort of vomit reference and she would vomit if someone else did or even pretended to by making vomiting sounds. So, of course kids being kids, they would make vomiting sounds every time they saw her to make her vomit. It was totally disgusting and infuriated the teachers and principals to the extent that they kept upping the detention time with the possibility of suspension when people kept doing it. Of course this caused people to try to do it more often and in worse situations to see if they could get away with it. The worst being someone made her vomit in the lunch line in the cafeteria setting off a Monty Python domino effect of other people vomiting including a couple of teachers. It was considered legendary at the time.

Just one of those awful but true tales. I don't think Mr. Lowery would have found it as amazing as some did.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched this on Prime (included) on my 65" Panny OLED. It's a very dark but great looking film with wonderful cinematography. However, it's also very tedious with (I thought) long periods where nothing happens. The main problem with the film, irrespective of whether you like it or not, is that it is made to be seen on a large screen and is diminished by effectively being a free to view television film, which many people will quickly turn off and flick through other content. I also think the trailer badly misrepresents the film as it literally shows all the action. I would sum it up as worthy but dull.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
while true, most films are meant to be seen on the big screen. i will push back a bit in saying that your Dolby Vision display probably helped with the very dark scenes. on the big screen i'd say it's hard to decipher things even on the very large screen, something that i think Dolby Vision would help with. i haven't time to watch it on my DV display at home, but i'd venture the guess the result is better. i'm waiting for the disc that comes with DV.

I watched this on Prime (included) on my 65" Panny OLED. It's a very dark but great looking film with wonderful cinematography. However, it's also very tedious with (I thought) long periods where nothing happens. The main problem with the film, irrespective of whether you like it or not, is that it is made to be seen on a large screen and is diminished by effectively being a free to view television film, which many people will quickly turn off and flick through other content. I also think the trailer badly misrepresents the film as it literally shows all the action. I would sum it up as worthy but dull.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm not sure why so many forum members consider it a positive that Dolby Vision or HDR effectively "remedies" an intended dark image.

If a scene was dark in the theatre, it shouldn't be more visible at home. If it is, that is likely not reproducing the creative intent (which is a tent pole of this forum).

Personally, my original view has changed on this movie. I'll be buying a physical copy, and will likely buy its multiple times to get the different cover art/box variations.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's kind of a gray area... certain films gets a DCP to Dolby Cinema in DV commercially, but not this title. unless you ask Lowery/DP/creatives directly, we'll likely never really know.

also, if you been around long enough the whole "reproducing creative intent" is very much a huge chasm from what editors/colorists/creatives are seeing vs. consumers. just google Seven home media colors. there are at least 5 to 7 variations on the color timings... and that's from one of the most OCD directors of all time! he has little to no control as to how the home media carries out what his original creative intent is.

I'm not sure why so many forum members consider it a positive that Dolby Vision or HDR effectively "remedies" an intended dark image.

If a scene was dark in the theatre, it shouldn't be more visible at home. If it is, that is likely not reproducing the creative intent (which is a tent pole of this forum).

Personally, my original view has changed on this movie. I'll be buying a physical copy, and will likely buy its multiple times to get the different cover art/box variations.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I also think the trailer badly misrepresents the film as it literally shows all the action.

Yeah, if you want the more action version of the picture the trailer is the way to go. Or watch Sword of the Valiant.

Still, this is a great film but I think you are correct that it is better seen in a cinema where you are swept up in the beauty of the thing. Not sure how people will react to it at home but you may be correct that the ease of just switching over to something else may cause people not to finish it.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'll be buying a physical copy, and will likely buy its multiple times to get the different cover art/box variations.

So, are there different special cover variations coming? I have just seen the one cover so far but I wondered if A24 is going to do their own special edition of it as they have with Midsommar and a couple of their other films. I saw a rumor that Criterion is going to do this one too and I know they also did Uncut Gems from A24. So, seems possible Criterion will release The Green Knight. However, I have the A24 special edition of Midsommar and it is quite a wonderful package so if they do one for The Green Knight that would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks